Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting courses - any experience?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Anyone have any experience of parenting courses? I did one a couple of years back when my little ones were little - but I seem to recall not learning much from it ... it did give me a bit of time out though - which is always a bonus!

what's the most important thing in a parenting course? is it the facilitator,
    the group or the content? What would put you off going?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

yes they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I did one years ago at my sons primary school. OMG it was 2 old christian brothers that ran the course, not a christian brothers school, lets just say as nice and all as they were it just didn't work. ;)

I've since done a number of courses at my local college as well as various childcare courses all of which were far more informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I have run two different types of parenting courses, both focusing on single parenting. The aim has always been supporting parents to help each otherby swapping tips, while giving some structure like covering ings like tantrums/communication/dicipline/play/co-parenting etc etc.
    Always do it through a reputable agency and the longer term the better(10 weeks +) so you can practice new skills with your children and you can get feedback each week. There are a few different agencies that run free ones in Dublin.
    Location would be a big factor in choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Having facilitated many Parenting courses there are a number of variables involved including access, cost, timing and provider.

EG. Timing needs to be planned, as there is always low uptake during school holiday times. Attendance is better when access is within local community areas.
    Courses are more benificial when they are 'child age' related.
    Not benificial or value for money when they cover the One for all fit.

The ideal is:
    Anti-natal = Baby care up to 2 years.
    Toddlers 2-5 years.
    Pre-teen
    Teenage.
    The last is the most difficult because 80% of parents attending are traumatised.
    In the UK not all but some are there on Parenting Orders from the courts.

There are many agencies in the UK and Ireland who sell Parenting courses, and one needs to carefully check credentials of providers. Just because one is a teacher or one has a day course in child care may not be best value.

Across the UK there are free local courses provided by the Community Health Service and facilitated by Health Visitors who are 'child development' qualified.
    Thus there is background knowledge of age related physical & cognitive child development milestones in addition to social and psychological family issues which impact on effective parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MammaTina

My brother attended a parenting course and sang it praises. I since did a course with the same group - Helpme2parent.ie and it was brilliant. It was run over one full day and was delivered by a trained psychotherapist. There were overheads and video footage of different parent/child situations which helped to show the skills. I attended the Parenting Teenagers as my kids are over 11 but I know that they run the classes for parenting age 1 to 6 and 6 to 11 too. They are just brilliant and I learned loads which I have put into practice. I am delighted with the result so check this company out.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 a.rose

I wish the courts here in ireland would give out Parenting Orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

MammaTina wrote: »
    My brother attended a parenting course and sang it praises. I since did a course with the same group - Helpme2parent.ie and it was brilliant. It was run over one full day and was delivered by a trained psychotherapist. There were overheads and video footage of different parent/child situations which helped to show the skills. I attended the Parenting Teenagers as my kids are over 11 but I know that they run the classes for parenting age 1 to 6 and 6 to 11 too. They are just brilliant and I learned loads which I have put into practice. I am delighted with the result so check this company out.:D

Their email is: info@helpme2parent.ie.

You can add your name to their waiting list. I was part of a conference recently promoting support and training for modern families, and they did a presentation: married/cohabiting, divorced/seperated, and single---all are given the same advice and guidance, they're very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MammaTina

There were a few people there the day I attended who were single or separated but wanted more access to their children. They got certificates to support them in the courts so I know that this helps. They also announce at the end of the course that they are bringing a specific course for separated families on this winter. I get their free ezine (like a newsletter) and it gives details of what they have coming up. Its a pretty good read also as it has good tips and articles on lots of parenting stuff. You can join up for it on their site. I hope this helps;)

Advertisement