Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK to use Immac to prepare for c-section?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Want to avoid the nurses coming at me with a dry blade! ;) Wondering if Immac is safe to use in area of the incision, or would I be better off just shaving area myself beforehand? Was thinking the immac would be softer and less itchy afterwards?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't think they shave you. I certainly wasn't shaved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm not pregnant, but this is something I've sometimes wondered about! Is it OK to get your bikini line Immac-ed, or waxed, etc, when it's nearing your due date?!

I know that the doctors and nurses aren't going to care and have probably seen far far worse .... but it's still something I'd be worried about :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah it's grand. I doubt you'd be able to shave or immac yourself though. Honestly I was passed caring about the shrubbery as soon as I couldn't see it anymore! I did get my husband to shave my legs before going into hospital though, more to distract me than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I really don't think they shave there these days, but I'm not 100% sure!

If you have grown extra fuzz you'll be better off leaving it. Apparently if you tamper with hairs that grow on yer belleh during pregnancy, you'll have them forever. If you just leave them they should just fall out after the baby is born and your hormones return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Ok, firstly "dry" blades aren't used in hospital, for the very reason that if you are nicked or cut then you are opening up an area for infection. Thats in no ones interest. I certainly wouldn't recommend you shaving yourself either for the same reason. If they need to remove hair they tend to use something more like a clippers. Hair is only removed if its in the site of the incision.
    As far as what you do, depends on how close you are to your due date for a section. I wouldn't recommend using hair removal cream the day before but it can be used if you just was to be "neat" and presentable a few days before. You'd want to be sure it wasn't your first time using it, in case of any irritaiton (again a site for infection).
    Waxing a week before or so might also be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mustang23

Nothing at all do to with being neat or caring what staff think, this is for a planned section and that I know the incision will be made low down in pubic area & am told this needs to be hair-free. Have heard people talk about nurses just dry-shaving them with Bic razors and don't want ingrowers afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

First I clipped and then I shaved the area of the incision the day before my planned section. There were no external stitches just butterfly bandaids and they would have got stuck to the hair I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I think it depends on individual hospitals, one wanted me to shave and another said it didn't matter. I would ring and ask them before you go in what they would like you to do. :)

Did the hospital tell you to remove hair or is it something someone else told you? If the hospital told you then yes I would use hair removal cream, if they didn't tell you then I wouldn't actually do anything. If you are really concerned about it, I suggest you contact your obstetricians office and ask them.
    The reason I am saying this is that I work in another area of surgery and often we have people who come in and have shaved or removed their hair within 24 hrs of surgery and have abrased the skin. This leas to a higher risk of infection. The nurses wont come at you with a bic razor. Most places use a clippers as I said, and if they do use a razor it's not like a bic, its designed for surgery.

[QUOTE= There were no external stitches just butterfly bandaids and they would have got stuck to the hair I guess.[/QUOTE]

Hair is removed only if it will obstruct the view of the surgery or would lead to infection if left in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Good to know tootles. Well no harm done luckily. I will just use clippers if there is a next time :)

Advertisement