Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Lp for 500?

• 03-04-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

AS the title says what in your opinion is the best les paul available for 500 euro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

" Rakkateisuto look more virile in the finish, and enough guitar to go through out the taste!" - What's not to like? ;)

Haha must be some belt/buckle rash on the back but not enough to go though the lacquer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Years ago i bought a vintage les paul from a little music shop near rathmines, its from here> http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

And what a little gem it turned out to be! I never hear them mentioned but my one at least plays beautifully!

v100tsb_05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

that edwards is absolutely beautiful. Do they come up often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

I'd go for the epi les paul custom. gibson quality for a 1/3 of the price. Bought one bout a month ago and I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I second what Ross Mc has written, I've had an Epi Lp for 9 years now & I love it.

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Haha must be some belt/buckle rash on the back but not enough to go though the lacquer

That Edwards does look truly deadly for 372 euros (plus shipping and probably tax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My Edwards is a similar model, bought for similar money and it is one savage guitar. Blows any epi lp custom i've played out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

My Edwards is a similar model, bought for similar money and it is one savage guitar. Blows any epi lp custom i've played out of the water.

Epiphones should stay in the water. For life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Agile AL-2000.
    €200 for something which sounds, and plays like a real Gibson.

They're on www.rondomusic.com

Does anyone in Ireland stock Edwards or do you have to buy from Japan?

domrush wrote: »
    Does anyone in Ireland stock Edwards or do you have to buy from Japan?

Maybe a second hand one here and there. eBay would the first place to look. Jap sites would be second. They are not as cheap as they used to be though.

Greco, Burny, Orville, Bacchus, Ibanez, Yamaha are other Jap makes that would be great value for 500 nicker.

Ross Mc wrote: »
    I'd go for the epi les paul custom. gibson quality for a 1/3 of the price. Bought one bout a month ago and I love it.

Er.......nope.

Gibson not the best quality, but still better than Epiphones.

Unless it's a rare Japanese Epiphone.;)

Ruski wrote: »
    Agile AL-2000.
    €200 for something which sounds, and plays like a real Gibson.

They're on www.rondomusic.com

since agile are made by the same people that make sx guitars, i would stay far clear of them. i remember for my second guitar i was going to buy an sx lp copy or epi lp but then i went a whole other way and bought a aria explorer copy but that was in the 300 range, either way i'm glad i didn't buy the sx and i do have a strat copy and it's now just my guitar so to use to learn soldering on.

Gone man. But we still have the memories.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

since agile are made by the same people that make sx guitars, i would stay far clear of them. i remember for my second guitar i was going to buy an sx lp copy or epi lp but then i went a whole other way and bought a aria explorer copy but that was in the 300 range, either way i'm glad i didn't buy the sx and i do have a strat copy and it's now just my guitar so to use to learn soldering on.

No, they're not. SX are made by Team Intl. Co. in China and I believe Agile are made by Unsung in Korea. Unsung used to make Epiphones for Gibson before Gibson moved the production to their own facility in China. Also, Douglas are made by Saein (aka Shine) in Korea.

Just because Rondo Music in the US carry these brands together, it doesn't mean that they're from the same factory... or even exclusive to Rondo! You can buy SX in Waltons!

Dord wrote: »
    Unsung used to make Epiphones for Gibson before Gibson moved the production to their own facility in China.

Where are the Epiphones made these days??????????????????????
    Not that i am buying one.....

Dord wrote: »
    No, they're not. SX are made by Team Intl. Co. in China and I believe Agile are made by Unsung in Korea. Unsung used to make Epiphones for Gibson before Gibson moved the production to their own facility in China. Also, Douglas are made by Saein (aka Shine) in Korea.

Just because Rondo Music in the US carry these brands together, it doesn't mean that they're from the same factory... or even exclusive to Rondo! You can buy SX in Waltons!

woops my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Agile are better constructed much better than the cheap plastic toys that SX make. They use better woods, hardware, electronics, and such. Like check out the specifications of this one: http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000tribalblue.html

I would still recommend it. Just because Rondo are resellers for both SX and Agile, doesn't mean that they're made in the same factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 wolfyuksa

I would save the extra 200 and buy a used studio. If 500 is the absoulte max you can afford for an LP then i guess i would by a vintage LP and upgrade the picups to something decent that should get you under 500 clams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Where are the Epiphones made these days??????????????????????
    Not that i am buying one.....

They're made at the Gibson factory in Qingdao, China. The exceptions are the Elitist that are made in Japan and the new USA reissues of the old Epiphones like the Wilshire.

main.jpg

Small pic but there ya go... Henry Whatshisface at the Gibson Qingdao factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

My LP was made, according to ser no, in Indonesia 10 years ago. Would these be of better quality than Chinese made?

aria make good lp copies too, i never tried one out but from what i've heard they are amazing, if you want something different. oh and i've had a listen to the agile copies and just by sound, again i would stay clear their are way better sounding guitars out their imo.

aria make good lp copies too, i never tried one out but from what i've heard they are amazing, if you want something different. oh and i've had a listen to the agile copies and just by sound, again i would stay clear their are way better sounding guitars out their imo.

Aria don't make amazing LP's. Who ever told you that need a full medical.

For the €500 quoted earlier.....Burny, Greco, Edwards, Bacchus, Orville would be my choices. eBay naturally.

Aria don't make amazing LP's. Who ever told you that need a full medical.

For the €500 quoted earlier.....Burny, Greco, Edwards, Bacchus, Orville would be my choices. eBay naturally.

pro II arias of course and it was people on here who told me they are great

Ishibashi is way cool IMHO and if you do a search you'll see lots of people here bought from them a few years back.
    You pay the lower of the 2 prices shown since you live outside Japan ie on the one you linked to, you would pay ¥ 61,886.

You'll also have to pay for shipping (about 100 euros last time I checked ?) and will be liable for VAT + Duty which is about 25%
    Usually still a bargain despite that. :rolleyes:

that would have been 500 euro so 700 euro to have it over here?

Also anyone have one of those or the 98LTS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

Xavieres are pretty good and will cost a lot less than 500. Agile might be slightly higher end.

Some Epiphone stuff is surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Not all sx are that bad, and Agile are a lot better than sx.

for some reason the prices are different on thier ebay page and there is also less products?

Used Japanese guitars are much dearer recently than previous years. Even the late 80's Ibanez RG's are going for way over the odds. But the Les Paul replica Jap brands are going for big money these days. Greco are over a grand for used Les Pauls on eBay. :mad:

A 'Yes' from me.

Looks like you are through to the next round.

• Advertisement

LS90Q is a grand guitar but you'd get a wayyyy better guitar buying a second hand edwards 130 off ishibashi and for less than that including shipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

how do you order the used gear off ishibashi? Its all in japanese and on their ebay store everthing is expensive?

stetyrrell wrote: »

That Tokai is made in Korea. Might as well put a few hundred extra and buy a Japanese Les Paul.

Ishibashi is a bit complicated for me too. eBay would be my first source.
    The one from UK seller you picked yourself, is best option so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tokaitelejohn

If it has to be a Les Paul, you might pick up a studio for that sort of money - certainly on eBay.
    If it does not have to be a Gibson, try one of Yamaha's AES single cut guitars - the 920 is Jap made with Seymours and a serious bit of kit for humble money. Jap Tokai Love Rocks are very nice too but pricey - a Gibson Studio would be cheaper.
    AS the title says what in your opinion is the best les paul available for 500 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

_IGP4283_resize.JPG
    Agile al 3100
    This Raises my GAS levels through the roof every time

Seriously thinking of getting one or an edwards elp 98 nitro
    Or mabye both! mmmm

Seriously thinking of getting one or an edwards elp 98 nitro
    Or mabye both! mmmm

Both.

It's the way things are done today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Both.

It's the way things are done today.

This is why i need to delete this forum from my bookmarks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Epiphone LP standard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Epiphone LP standard OR some sort of Tokai off of http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Guitareaxe wrote: »
    Epiphone LP standard!

I mean , its made of the same wood (well almost), only diff is the workmanship and finish is of SLIGHLTY less quality and the pickups, which can be bought for small sum anyway.;

Epiphone LP Standard - 400 ish
    Gibson LP Standard - 2000 ish +

Differnce???? about 200 quids worth of pickups and you get METAL machine heads with the Epiphone, instead of the plastic ones that come with Real LP.

ok ok, so the G goes out a little, wait it goes out a little in Real LPs also!
    Only the most anally anal of the anally retentive sort, those with anal ears instead of aural can actually tell the diff in sound. In the hands of a great guitarist an Epiphone LP sounds Incredible.
    Point made.

But better yet, screw all that just get an Ibanez RG350DX bang an upgrade pickup in the lead spot and youve got a guitar that laughs in the face of LP's. And they dont weigh half a tonne.

Guitareaxe wrote: »
    Epiphone LP standard!

There are better Jap models than the Epiphones.

Burny, Edwards, Orville, Bacchus, Greco, Ibanez. All Japanese Les Pauls, made to a higher spec than the Epi's.

In fairness to Epis, the Elitist models are very very good

In fairness to Epis, the Elitist models are very very good

True, but not available anymore. Jap quality alright. And the Epi's are now Chinese, not Korea.

Advertisement