Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulled by Garda - one way street dilema

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

donvito99 wrote: »
    I am not annoyed of the fact that he drove down a one way street. I am annoyed that the OP is challenging the fact that he got a ticket and that he asked for the Garda's name. And its for the Garda to decide, not you.
    Some Gardaí are pricks as you should well know. The last institution we gave unquestionable power to was the church, and now people have no respect for the church because of all of the power they abused. I think that, assuming the OP is telling a wholly truthful story, then the Garda in question was being an absolute prick. There are nicer ways of approaching something like that than to just slap a fine on his shoulders.

I fully believe that the offending motorist, the OP deserved what he got, but the bahaviour of the Garda was questionable to say the least.
    donvito99 wrote: »
    People are not perfect you know, thats why we have the Guards.

Neither are the Gardaí, which is why we have Joint Policing Committee's and a whole lot of other beurocratic measures - But if a Garda cannot communicate his punishment in a truthful and respectful way, then he should be in a backj office job filling out paperwork.
    more threads like this and were going to need taller stables :D

To be completely honest, i think everyone should get off their high horse here. As if none of us has ever done something wrong at least once. We've all broken rules accidentally and if we claim that we haven't then we'd be lying.
    just pay the fine OP , dont fight it , unfortunatley the gard was having a bad day and you did go down the wrong way even if it was accidental, if you were driving the correct way up the street and somebody going the wrong way hit you i doubt youd be too sympathetic to them, you probably got off lucky considering the gard could have really got you for dangerous driving

I respect what you've said here. He was essentially contributing to an accident in a major way, probably unknowingly providing light entertainment to drunk people on the pavements along the streets.

I think the OP should pay the fine and get it over with. But by the very same token, I can't understand why the Garda was so rude and unpolite. And for that reason, I think you should make it known to the Garda Superintendent in that area exactly what your dealings with this Garda were.

Then I have to call into question, what the hell was the passenger at? Why didn't he notice where you were going? I can understand that he might have been texting or something, but if you were travelling for that long without him noticing, he really needs to go to specsavers. And hopefully, the price of a solicitor that you could have paid had you challenged it, you may even be both able to avail of an eye checkup for both of ye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Portlaoise is a disaster I almost drove down a one way street there last year when looking for a place to grap to a bite to eat enroute to Tullamore via the M8. Luckily the satnav muttered something and I noticed the narrow lane before backing up and pulling a U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think the OP should pay the fine and get it over with. But by the very same token, I can't understand why the Garda was so rude and unpolite. And for that reason, I think you should make it known to the Garda Superintendent in that area exactly what your dealings with this Garda were.

I can see why he would be unpolite / terse (these things depend on what side of the fence your sitting on). I can imagine that every 3rd person they pull gives them the standard armchair lawyer / whats your name routine for something they were caught red handed doing. I dont know how complaints work with the gardai, but I`m guessing that it can cause a fair bit of discomfort if somebody is giving out about them to there superior for just doing there job.

Then I have to call into question, what the hell was the passenger at? Why didn't he notice where you were going? I can understand that he might have been texting or something, but if you were travelling for that long without him noticing, he really needs to go to specsavers. And hopefully, the price of a solicitor that you could have paid had you challenged it, you may even be both able to avail of an eye checkup for both of ye.

I dont get this, only one person can drive at once, a passenger can never be held to account for the drivers actions. Would it be the passengers fault if he drove over somebody or wrapped the car around a pole ? The driver is always responsible and the duty to follow the rules are his responsibility.

OP, I would pay the fine and move on, any judge would see it as an open and shut case. Dragging it out will just make things more expensive. And there is no high horse here, I got shopped in a similar situation for driving in a bus only lane in Dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Some Gardaí are pricks as you should well know. The last institution we gave unquestionable power to was the church, and now people have no respect for the church because of all of the power they abused. I think that, assuming the OP is telling a wholly truthful story, then the Garda in question was being an absolute prick. There are nicer ways of approaching something like that than to just slap a fine on his shoulders.

I really don't think the Gardaí have been given un questionable power, and to compare their power to the Church is silly. (Even if the connections between the to in the past were unfortunate.)

And TBH I don't care if the Guard was rude, or as you described him, as a "prick". I would be annoyed to if someone had the cheek to come up to me asking for my name, just for a simple Traffic Offence. I'd be annoyed if that someone had enough time on their hands to make a complaint to the Ombudsman, and that that complaint was heard.

So, IMO, his being a "prick" was justified to some extent!

Advertisement