Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st brendans hospital / grangegorman - is this closed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeah its still in use. They still have a gaelic football team aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

Yeah its still in use. They still have a gaelic football team aswell

Really? Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

http://www.stbrendansgaa.org/

Theres a bit more info for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's still functioning as a HSE hospital but only at a fraction of its 1950s heyday when over 2,500 patients were there. Many of the older buildings are no longer in use. I think the block constructed in the 1960s to the right of the main gate is still being used. Most of the staff houses have been sold off. The old nurses' residence appears to be closed and I think Dublin City Council are using some of the buildings.

DCU(?) were supposed to be constructing a new campus there but I haven't heard anything about that in a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

DCU(?) were supposed to be constructing a new campus there but I haven't heard anything about that in a good few years.

DIT was supposed to be relocating all its bits there...but that seems to be off the agenda again with all the economic doom and gloom.

It really is a huge patch of land! Would make a great campus if they ever get round to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

Thanks for all the info guys, it's really helpful. DIT were supposed to be moving there, I've seen some of the plans for the area Grangegorman Development Agency website - it looks amazing. According to the website, everything is still on track, but the economic situation might be the end of that. It looked like a spectacular development too.
    Thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shadowgirl

hi, i am trying to find out of st Brendan hospital was an adults or children facility?

anyone know what was the legal age to be sent to this hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's an adults facility...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shadowgirl

do you know if it was always an adults facility?

i know someone who was sent there at 14 in the 70s
    after years of being in "care"

would you have any idea how he could get his files from there etc?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

this thread should give you the information you need;)

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumThread/141239636/Default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was a number of other facilities in the neighbourhood that probably held teenagers and possibly children, but they didn't have the name St. Brendan's, but may have colloquially have been called St. Brendan's.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714342,735267,7,9

Advertisement