Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

Options
  • 03-04-2010 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

I've just got this on now as I type.

I know Zep I - IV are brilliant as well but I'm kinda only re-evaluating their later output, and . . Graffiti is a great album.

Kashmir, Ten years gone, Houses of the Holy, all brilliant, anyone else think its class?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Some of my favourite Zep songs are on PG but I think if they kept it to a single album it would have been the greatest Zep album (a lot of people think it is already, just my opinion, what do I know).
    I hate "In my time of dying", there are some great vocals and guitar playing but at over 11 mins goes on too much. Even though Trampled Under Foot gets on the Greatest Hits collections it never appealed to me.`I'd also leave off Boggie with Stu and Down by the Seaside (which I like but just seems out of place).
    That's the negative out of the way, Custard Pie and The Rover are a great start to the album and Kashmir is one of my all time Zep tracks. In the Light & Ten Years Gone are slow brooding songs while Night Flight and Wanton Song really pick up the pace`and Sick Again is a great finisher. Plant's vocals are superb on this album and Page gets real heavy with the guitar. Really great album alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think it is a great album, it is probably the Led Zeppelin album that I listen to the most.

It works really well with III when they are played back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Best Zepp album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Better get my copy back off my brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roanmore wrote: »
    Some of my favourite Zep songs are on PG but I think if they kept it to a single album it would have been the greatest Zep album (a lot of people think it is already, just my opinion, what do I know).

Exactamondo, its tails off rather badly on the second disk for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

meh, I like it for its mediocrity and sloppiness and thats not sarcasm, I think it has a charming rusticness about it. But the rover is a bit blahg, it sounds like they're bored playing it, the sound quality on the vocals is horrible and the guitar solo is played terribly at the end. It just sounds stock as if Page coming up with the solo was like "yeah that'll do" while reading the crossword. The guitar sound on custard pie sounds very brittle. But boogie with stu and black country woman are pretty good, Kashmir is great but again I find pages guitar sound a bit sh1tty for such an epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I never liked Pages' guitar sound on Kashmir as I feel it was pushed to the back of the mix.

Its still an epic song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I've just got this on now as I type.

I know Zep I - IV are brilliant as well but I'm kinda only re-evaluating their later output, and . . Graffiti is a great album.

Kashmir, Ten years gone, Houses of the Holy, all brilliant, anyone else think its class?

Absolute class - their finest hour IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

When they played Kashmir at their O2 reunion concert i actually cried, so powerful .

galwayrush wrote: »
    When they played Kashmir at their O2 reunion concert i actually cried, so powerful .

You were there? Wow. I woud have sold a kidney or two to go to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

You were there? Wow. I woud have sold a kidney or two to go to that.

I was a little worried about all the pre conceret hype , but the second they struck the first note, i could see the amazing chemistry on stage, to a level i have never experienced with any band before, ( even higher than Rush) one absolutely magical night that no one there wanted to end.:cool:

galwayrush wrote: »
    I was a little worried about all the pre conceret hype , but the second they struck the first note, i could see the amazing chemistry on stage, to a level i have never experienced with any band before, ( even higher than Rush) one absolutely magical night that no one there wanted to end.:cool:

I was worried about the hype too, but even from the shaky clips on youtube, they still got it. I know I'm going off topic on my own thread now, but I'd love them to do even another one - off. This gets less likely every year that passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

They were never the same after it when Plant was in a terrible car crash and Page let the demons take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

yeah, great record. I 've not listened to it for years though. Zep 2 is my favourite. It was the first Zeppelin I'd heard, I was about 16 at the time, and 25 years later I still feel a vibe off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

thesultan wrote: »
    They were never the same after it when Plant was in a terrible car crash and Page let the demons take over.

To be fair they only recorded two albums after that crash (both of them are good to my ears) and would be broken up anway after Bonzo died and he was always destined to die young unfortunately.

Anyway whats a Led Zep thread without a video?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Ive always liked this album. As said above, I prefer the first disk.

Advertisement