Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From C25k to Novice 10k with Hal Hidgon

• 03-04-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

Background:

I have one more run to do to complete the Couch 2 5k program. I ran a 5k race last week already (31.30). I also ran 5.5k during the week so I've reached my goal of 5k. I really enjoyed the C25k and I literally went straight through it - three times a week, gradually building up distance like it said on the box!

I am two/three stone over weight. I'm 35 female. I played hockey regularly for 20 years but last year I had to give up because I just kept getting injured. I've had hundreds of bangs on my knees and I've sprained both ankles on numerous occasions. Two years ago I had plantar fascitis, which was really painful and thats when I decided to throw the hat in and 'retire' from hockey.

In the meantime, I've been playing a bit of tennis, walking a bit and cycling a bit. And I managed to put on three stone :( I'm on a major mission now to lose the weight by the time I'm 36. I gave up smoking on January 1st. Started C25k on Feb 2nd and joined WW at the beginning of March. So far I'm doing really well...I rarely think about cigarettes anymore, I can run 5k and I've lost 11lbs.

I've no background in running. I've never been known for my pace, fitness or stamina. With tennis and hockey my strengths were the fact that I can read and anticipate the game well, so without too much effort I do tend to be in the right place at the right time :D However this is useless to me now :(

The Womens Mini Marathon is on June 7th which is 9 weeks away. Hal Higdons program is an 8 week plan, but I have a hen weekend, a wedding and a long weekend away in Paris in between, so I'm starting today. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Week 1

Plan for 3rd April to 9th April

Saturday: Stretch and Strength
    Sunday: 2.5 mile run
    Monday: 30 mins cross-training
    Tuesday: 2 mile run and Strength
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 40 mins cross
    Friday: 3 mile run

I'm really looking forward to starting this program. Week 1 should be fine. I've covered all those distances before so I should be well able.

Week 1 Day 1

For my stretching and strength, I did a bodybalance class in the gym. This consists of Tai Chi warm up, Yoga and Pilates. It was a really good (but tough) class and I felt really stretched and energised after. I cycled to and from the gym as well 3.5k either way.

So day 1 was good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

dolliemix wrote: »
    Background:

I gave up smoking on January 1st. Started C25k on Feb 2nd and joined WW at the beginning of March. So far I'm doing really well...I rarely think about cigarettes anymore, I can run 5k and I've lost 11lbs.

It's been a productive year so far! Well done, that's great progress.

Best of luck with the 10k plan, if you stick with it I'd say you won't know yourself by the summer.

Week 1 Day 2

Aim 2.5 mile run

So I'm going to be really lazy and just copy and paste my final log from my C25k training log over in the Fitness Forum

My last C25k run today. It also coincided with Day 2 of the Hal Higdon program I am now following. To be honest I wasn't quite sure what my goal was going out. With C25k I needed to run non-stop 30 mins. With HH program I had to run 2.5 miles (4k). Secretly I wanted to go out and feel so comfortable and fit that I could run forever....even manage 5k in 30mins!

Unfortunately, miracles don't happen with me. I should have stuck with one goal or another. I really wasn't sure what my aim was the whole way through and I think if you have a specific goal in your head, it helps motivate you. Well, that certainly works for me....it reminded me of tennis , which I play quite a bit. You run in to take an easy shot, and change your mind as you run in and end up missing the easiest shot in the world!!!

To be honest my heart was ruling my head today. I wanted to run further than I have up until now. My body wasn't able. My legs are quite heavy, probably after the yoga. If I had just stuck with the idea that it was my final day of C25k and I only needed to run for 30 mins, I bet I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Anyway the result was: 30 mins non-stop running
    4.6 k / 2.8 miles

So I covered both goals! But lesson learned. Just concentrate on one thing at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Dolliemix welcome to the training logs. I have been keeping an eye on that C25k thread. Well done on completing it. Best of luck with the training for the 10k. If you continue to be as consistent with the Hal Higdon plan as you have been with the C25k you will get there no problemo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the log dolliemix - you've done great so far! Keep up the good work and the mini marathon will be a breeze for you. It's a great day out - a bit of fun and all for a good cause. Great to get out with a few mates for the craic! And then a nice bite to eat or glass of wine in town when you cross the finish line :D I've been thinking I must go to a body balance class in the gym seeing as they're included in membership fees - thanks for the inadvertant push!!

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. I've checked out your logs and I'm envious of how far you can run and your general commitment to the sport. They're really motivating to read.

Week 1 Day 2

I had a delicious mother's Easter dinner. I ate everything on my plate x2 and more.....

I was feeling sluggish today as a result so I did a 50 min stroll! Stopping for a decaf take away coffee along the way. Not sure thats what Hal Higdon meant by cross-training! lol! :D

Back on track tomorrow with a 2 mile run and some yoga.

Week 1 Day 3

Aim: 2 mile jog

Ok so eating a palm sized lindt chocolate bunny egg two hours before a run is not a good idea.

According to Hal these two mile runs are supposed to be easy!!!

Not for me today! I got through it but was wondering the whole way through was I ever going to be at the stage where a two mile run is just an easy run around the block.

I was struggling most of the way. I went to check my phone to see how far I'd got and turned it off by accident. ( but I think the reaching for the phone was more a 'I want to stop now' movement, if I'm honest)

So here was the result at that point - 3.09 km/ 1.92 miles ......18.52 mins

I did a bit of a half efforted run after that so I could say I did the two miles.

I signed up for a beginners yoga class tonight to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. It might be nice to actually converse with someone. This running thing is a bit lonely, especially since my background is hockey/tennis where you always have contact with other people.

I'm back playing tennis on Thursday so maybe that will give me a bit of a kick as well.

I've been eating crap for the last three days and I'm getting weighed today so maybe thats affecting the spring in my step....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi Dollymix. Good luck with the log and the training.
    I guess you already know this but your run today was more or less at the same pace as your 5k race (10 minutes per mile). It may seem very slow, but you should do training about 1 min/mile slower than your race pace otherwise you'll be pushing yourself to full pace every run and that is not sustainable neither mentally or physically!!
    Maybe only try to do one of the runs a week at full pace and take the others slower??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with the log Dolliemix, and with Hal's program. I can relate to worries about a weigh-in, had mine today, not good...that Easter bunny has a lot to answer for :)

Keep it up!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hi Dollymix. Good luck with the log and the training.
    I guess you already know this but your run today was more or less at the same pace as your 5k race (10 minutes per mile). It may seem very slow, but you should do training about 1 min/mile slower than your race pace otherwise you'll be pushing yourself to full pace every run and that is not sustainable neither mentally or physically!!
    Maybe only try to do one of the runs a week at full pace and take the others slower??

Thanks for that! I feel better knowing that. :) Strange because I didn't feel like my pace was any faster but I was wrecked throughout!! I certainly wasn't trying to go fast either. I just wanted it over - maybe that was the problem. Now I'm wondering how the hell did I do 5k of that during the Rás? I wasn't trying to go fast at that race. My aim was to finish!

DigiJem wrote: »
    Good luck with the log Dolliemix, and with Hal's program. I can relate to worries about a weigh-in, had mine today, not good...that Easter bunny has a lot to answer for :)

Keep it up!

Thanks Digigem. Well Easter is over now, so it'll be good to get back into a routine.

I did beginners yoga class tonight. It was more relaxing than challenging but I did get some good stretching in, especially the ham strings. We did the plank as well. I was able to hold it ......something I wasn't able to do last week :)

Tomorrow is rest day. I think I need it/ deserve it.

I'll use it to give the house a good clean. And maybe cook a few low fat recipes to keep me going for the rest of the week. I've a hen this weekend, so I'm anticipating some big time damage diet wise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Dollie how do you get the distance you're running? You use your phone do you? I only have a normal phone so I wouldn't be able to track it that way (When I start HH program). Is there a gadget that I could get that measures the distance? Would a pedometer do that?

Dollie how do you get the distance you're running? You use your phone do you? I only have a normal phone so I wouldn't be able to track it that way (When I start HH program). Is there a gadget that I could get that measures the distance? Would a pedometer do that?

I bought an iphone for myself last week ( as a reward for giving up cigarettes for three months)! There is an app on it called mapmyrun. Its the business. Measures everything. It even tells me how fast (or slow in my case) i've run each mile and the elevation

I'm sure there are other cheaper options though if you don't want to commit to an iphone. Before last week, I was measuring by setting the distance on my car and driving the route to see how far I'd gone. Maybe start a thread on the ART forum asking people how they measure their distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Brainyneuron. most people who don't a have a GPS watch or App for their phone use either mapmyrun.com or google pedometer to plan the distance of their runs and then just time themselves with a stopwatch. This can sometimes be difficult however if you are running in a park (although a lot of parks have measured routes).

Edit: just to say, I was looking at google pedmoeter there and you can take a satelite view where you can see paths in parks, so you can measure this too!!

Week 1 Day 4

Aim: 40 mins cross training

I actually walked half the way into town today (20 mins) then hopped on a Dublin Bike (10 mins)

Played tennis for an hour

Ate about 8 little lindt chocolate eggs in the car on the way home :mad::mad::mad:

...and now I'm cycling to the pub!

I'm doing the big run tomorrow (3 miles this week) so I'll dilute my wine with water and try and keep alcohol intake to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Hi Dolliemix, really enjoying reading your log, you are where I was 3 years ago. Now I am doing the Kildare Half marathon. The only recommendation I would give you is join a club. There you will meet wonderful people who will all help & encourage you. When you feel like you don't want to run, they will bring you on. The social side of the club is fabulous too, well my club anyway:D we go away for weekends, do the race & have a good time;) . Stick with it, running is brilliant.

Birdsong wrote: »
    Hi Dolliemix, really enjoying reading your log, you are where I was 3 years ago. Now I am doing the Kildare Half marathon. The only recommendation I would give you is join a club. There you will meet wonderful people who will all help & encourage you. When you feel like you don't want to run, they will bring you on. The social side of the club is fabulous too, well my club anyway:D we go away for weekends, do the race & have a good time;) . Stick with it, running is brilliant.

Thanks Birdsong. Thats so nice of you! I'm going to follow this Hal Higdon program and see how I get on. To be honest, I'm a bit stunned that I'm actually sticking with this running thing AND kind of enjoying it! If I'm still running by the end of the summer I'll definitely look into joining a running club. At the moment its handy not to be committed to a club because I can fit the running in around the rest of my life. Hockey was a huge commitment all of those years. Training was at a specific time twice a week and matches were every Saturday, which meant I could never plan weekends away or even make an appointment with the hairdresser!!. I'm sort of enjoying the fact that I can choose when I do my run. Its like I'm getting my sport in but I'm also free to do other stuff!!! I do miss the team and social aspect though so joining a club does sound like a good option for me in the future.
    Also a part of me feels, I don't deserve to be a part of a club just yet.....I've only been at this since the beginning of Feb. But once I get this 10k under my belt there'll be no stopping me......I might even be doing half marathons like you at some stage :eek: Well done on that by the way and good luck with your training! :)

So I kept the wine to a minimum last night (2 glasses) but not because I was being really disciplined. I would have kept drinking but the bar closed! Lol!

Week 1 Day 7

Aim: 3 miles

Ok I've just realised I've been marking all the days wrong. Today is day 7 of this program even though its Friday. Hal normally has his long runs on the Sunday, but in order for me to fit this program into my life I have to do the long runs on Fridays.

So I've completed Week 1. Yesss!

Today was great....it wasn't easy but I knew I was going to finish it and at the end I knew if I had to I could have gone further. I'm so happy because I was really doubting myself these past few days. But today I could see the 10k as achievable maybe :)

So here is todays result:

5.47K/ 3.4 miles (holy C I've only realised how far I went now! :))
    37.01 mins

Looks like I've got my mojo back! :D

Plan for Week 2

I'm heading away for the weekend later for a hen weekend. I'm supposed to be doing stretch and strength tomorrow but I won't get it done. (Unless I'm really anti-social:D) I'll try and convince someone to do a nice long walk with me tomorrow instead. I might try and do a run down there on Sunday but that will depend on time etc

Day 1 Saturday: Walk (instead of stretch and strength)
    Day 2 Sunday: 2.5 mile/ 4k run
    Day 3 Monday: 30 mins cross-training
    Day 4 Tuesday: 2 mile/ 3.2k run and strength (yoga)
    Day 5 Wednesday: Rest
    Day 6 Thursday: 40 mins cross training (tennis)
    Day 7 Friday: 3.5 mile/ 5.6 k run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds good :)

Week 2 Day 2

Aim: run 2.5 miles

So, Week 1 Day 1 did not exist. I did some serious damage at the hen weekend. I drank more alcohol than I've drunk in a long time two nights in a row. I made no effort to choose the low fat or healthier options on the menu. I ate all the the crisps, cakes, chocolate that was around. I had pizza/nachos/ creamy pasta/ cheescake/ sausages.....just a complete nightmare. I can feel the effect of it this evening. I'm very bloated and I've got cramps. I only slept fours hours each night. I haven't been able to eat since this morning but I've done my run and I'm going to have a light salad now and a yogurt.

My only saving grace this weekend was that I did drink tons of water. And I did have a great fun weekend.

So I made myself go out and run this evening. I was sure I would get a stitch. But I wanted to tire myself out, because I slept on and off today once I got home. I told myself I'd try easy jogging some of it and if I needed to I could walk. And maybe try and do the whole thing tomorrow....

....there will be no need! Unbelieveable, but I flew through this run. I felt great from the minute I started to the end. No stitch/ didn't feel dehydrated/ didn't get tired/ legs felt great. I'm so glad I went out now and tried it. The mapmyrun didn't record for some reason but I've measured that route before and I covered 2.6 miles/ 4.2k in 30 mins ish!

I'm so happy that run went so well. I feel like I've already undone some of the damage from the two day binge. I'm going to put all the awful choices I made behind me and just be really strict diet wise for a few days.

Tomorrow I only need to do 30mins cross. I reckon I'll do some walking and if I have time, a little bit of yoga.

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 3

Aim: 30 mins cross

Walked to and from town so brisk walking for over an hour

Week 2 Day 4

Aim: 2 mile run and strength

Just ran 2.1 miles/ 3.39k

My time was 30 mins 21 s

How could I have been so slow? Now I know I'm not supposed to be worrying about my time but ....:eek:

It was very hot, and there were a few hills involved but according to map my run it took me 17 mins to do the 1st mile while the 2nd mile was a respectable 11 mins in comparison. Funnily I felt better during the first half of the run!

I'm off to do my yoga class now as my strength training....

So I know this has nothing to do with Hal Higdon or 10k runs but I'm posting this here tonight because this has become kind of like a diary for me. It helps to look back over my last log when I'm feeling unmotivated because I did actually achieve my goal of C25k, even though I doubted myself. Anyway, the following story might explain why it took me 17 mins to run ONE mile yesterday :D

Now, I was actually expecting this, but it has still made me feel crap. Is it normal to cry because you put on weight at a weight watchers meeting? :o I gained 3lbs in weight this week at my weight watchers weigh in. I made such awful choices at the weekend and it just goes to show that I just can't afford to abuse my body like that. I ate everything around me and drank alchol like water. I also smoked a cigarette. :mad: The dreaded photos went up on facebook and it made me see that I still have a long way to go...

It's made me realise how much I don't want to be the unhealthy person I was. I'm not annoyed with myself, because I know I'm not perfect, I just hope that when I am tempted in the future, that I can limit the way and amount I indulge. It's like I thought, the damage is done now, I've failed, I might as well continue eating/smoking/drinking.

So even though its a rest day, according to Hal, I'm heading out to do an hour walking. I can turn this around in seven days.......starting now "tus maith leath na hoibre' and I've already done that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

It's like I thought, the damage is done now, I've failed, I might as well continue eating/smoking/drinking.

I think this is a mistake many of us make! It's difficult to stay on the straight and narrow on a weekend away, and everybody's entitled to a meal out and a few drinks. Don't be too hard on yourself, look how far you have come in the last couple of months! Be proud of yourself, it's just a glitch! :)

runrabbit wrote: »
    I think this is a mistake many of us make! It's difficult to stay on the straight and narrow on a weekend away, and everybody's entitled to a meal out and a few drinks. Don't be too hard on yourself, look how far you have come in the last couple of months! Be proud of yourself, it's just a glitch! :)

+1 Great advice RR!

Dollie, you'll get those three pounds off in no time! Maybe think about starting a food diary?? It helped me soo much, foodwise (making more varied choices for dinners) but also I found that by writing down if I was worried about something etc I felt way better! Better out than in! You'll also have many sympathetic ears (or eye in this case) who have been where you are and got through it and will help you get through it too! Hope you feel better soon xx

Week 2 Day Six

Aim: 40 min cross

Ok so the drama is over! I started a Food Diary over here (Thanks Brainy ;))

No more tears hopefully :D

I did an hour of easy tennis. Tomorrow I've a big run (for me) 3.5 mile/ 5.6k. I have it all mapped out and I'm looking forward to it (for now!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Oh cool enjoy it! :) I second the recommendation to join a club - great way to keep you on-track with training and also good to meet people to talk about running with so you don't have to bore your friends and family as you become increasingly obsessed with this sport. Because that WILL happen :)

Best of luck for your long run tomorrow! I've got my first 25min run tomorrow and looking forward to it! (Makes a change from dreading the 20min one!) Well done on starting the food diary! Have a great weekend! :D xx

Week 2 Day 7

Aim: Run 3.5 miles/ 5.6K

So the end of each week finishes with the long run. I will always be running further than I've run before on Day 7.

First 1 or 2k I had a dull stitch but it seemed to go away after that. I ran down Simmonscourt Road towards the RDS and got caught up with the crowd going to a Leinster match, so good practice for the Mini Marathon I reckon. I spent the whole way down Simmonscourt Road trying to jump up and down on kerb, avoiding people and cars! I kind of enjoyed this. It took my mind off the heat and the stitch.

I really enjoyed this run and while I was tired I know I could have gone further if I had to. I feel confident that, if I keep at this gradual build up pace, injury free, I'll be well able for this Mini Marathon :)

There is a 5k on in Athlone on Sunday. I might go down to it, although my friend has backed out now, so I'll see how I feel on Sunday. I've been driving a lot this week for work and the thoughts of another two hours in the car doesn't really appeal to me right now.

Results:

Distance: 5.68k / 3.5 miles
    Time: 40 mins

:D:):DWeek 2 Complete 6 to go :D:):D

I really enjoyed this run and while I was tired I know I could have gone further if I had to. I feel confident that, if I keep at this gradual build up pace, injury free, I'll be well able for this Mini Marathon :)
    That's really, really awesome to hear! You're doing great. :)

• Advertisement

Hi Dolliemix, checking out your recent weeks and you're doing really great, up to 3.5 miles already.

When I started Hals program I dreaded the end of the week because of the long run. Then I slowed down my pace, and now its my favourite run of the week...so far anyway.

Enjoy Athlone if you decide to run it.

Week 3 Day 1

Aim : Strength and Stretch

Much better start to the week than last week! Last week I was hungover and heading for another session in a beer garden that was to last till 4 o'clock that morning!!!

I did an hour's body balance class. I think I might start doing a few weights either before or after body balance from now on because they do make me feel really strong. We did some very tough work on the abs today so I'll probably be feeling it tomorrow. We did a few push ups and I was awful. I can't even do one properly. When we did the plank I was well able - which goes to show I am improving, but then we turned to the side plank and I thought my arm was going to break! :D

For the balance set I didn't wobble or fall once - which is an indication that strength in my legs has really improved.

My left is very sore when I put any pressure on it, but I'm hoping when I lose another stone or two, that it'll be sorted.

Enjoyed my class today. I'm going to cycle into town now to exchange my Nimbus Asics because I got them in a size too big.

Still not sure whether to do Athlone 5k tomorrow or not. I'm thinking it might be more productive if I get a bit of housework done, which has been building up and do some cooking so I'll have healthy food all ready in advance for next week.

Week 3 Plan

Day 1: Stretch and Strength (body balance class)
    Day 2: 2.5 mile run/4k run
    Day 3: 35 mins cross training (cycle to work possibly?)
    Day 4: 2mile run and strength (3rd introduction to yoga class)
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: 50 min cross (tennis coaching)
    Day 7: 4 mile run/ 6.4k run

Week 3 Day 2

Aim: 2.5 mile/ 4k run

First half of today started off well but the second half was awful. I thought I was going to get sick and I needed to pee. Normally I'm the other way round...I find the first bit hard but the second bit alright. I only kept going because I knew I had to or it would effect me mentally the next time.

Maybe my pace was too fast at the beginning but I'll never know because the GPS only picked up at the end and said I'd only run 1.3K!!:eek: However, it got the time right at 27mins 48s. Anyway I'd walked that route before and I know it was 2.5 miles/ 4k so I'm pretty happy now that I made myself go to the end!

I still feel a bit nauseous though. Hopefully it will pass in a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Doing well Dolliemix, it gets easier honest:P I was at about the same stage as you last year. You'd be amazed at how quickly you start to rack the miles up, good luck! (Oh and thanks for posting on my log, think I needed to look at today's run in a less critical way!)

Week 3 Day 4

Week 3 Day 3 didn't happen cos I came back from work and slept for five hours!!! Not sure what was wrong. That nauseous feeling I had at the end of Sunday's run lasted into Monday and I just wasn't fit for anything.

Today, being Day 4

Aim: 2 mile run

Last week this exact same rum took me 17 mins for the first mile and 11 for the second according to the GPS. WRONG!!

The GPS measured a different distance this week and it makes more sense :D

I did the exact same route today but according to MapMyRun I ran 4.46k/ 2.77miles in 30mins 38s

1st Mile: 10.29
    2nd Mile: 10.09

So I'm happy with that.........off to an hour's yoga now.

Week 3 Day 6

Aim: 50min cross training

Tennis coaching. It wasn't exactly very vigorous tonight but I guess I was out there moving around.

I'm going to start cycling to work maybe twice a week.

I got weighed on Wednesday and I lost 4.5lbs last week. Really happy with that. The lighter I am for the mini marathon the easier it will be for me!

I've lost 16lbs now and I'm at 13 st 7

• Advertisement

Week 3 Day 7

Aim: 4 mile run/ 6.4k

Long run to finish up the week. I loved it out there tonight. Struggled at the end but I was still loving it. Ran a tiny bit shorter than the 4mile but thats only because I'd measured it wrong not because I had to stop. I feel fab now! :)

Result: 3.87m/6.2k
    Time: 42.48

Mile 1: 10.16
    Mile 2: 10.17
    Mile 3: 10.25
    .79m: 8.06

Great reading in here. Fantastic work, well done.

Week 4

I'm going away this weekend so I'll have to change some things around. I guess the most important thing is I get the long run in. This what I should be doing:

Day 1: Stretch and Strength
    Day 2: 3 mile run
    Day 3: 35 min cross
    Day 4: 2 mile stretch and strength
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: 50 min cross
    Day 7: 4 mile run

This what I'll have to do:

Day 1 Sat: Stretch and Strength
    Day 2 Sun: 3 mile run
    Day 3 Mon: 35 min cross (cycle to work)
    Day 4 Tues: 2 mile and strength (last intro to yoga class)
    Day 5 Wed: 4 mile run (first day running to days in a row but I should be able now!)
    Day 6: 50 min cross (Tennis)
    Day 7: Rest....on my way to Paris! :)

Week 4 Day 1

Aim: Stretch and Strength

Result: Body Balance Class

Week 4 Day 2

Aim: 3 mile run

Result: 3 mile run 34 mins

Turned the Mapmyrun off when I was changing the ipod at .78k but I've run this route before so I know its a little over 3 miles.

Into week 4, you're almost half way there. Well done & keep it going! I love your Day 7 - a trip to Paris - now that should be on every training plan. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Week 4 Day 3

Aim: 35 mins cross training

Result Cycle in and out of town

Week 4 Day 4

Crap that mapmyrun thing didn't work again. I think I did around 2 miles in around 25 mins???!!! But I have no idea really! I was out and about anyway :D....and I'm off to final day of beginners yoga class now!

Week 4 Day 5

Aim: Long Run 4 miles

I did my long run tonight instead of Day 7 because I'm heading to Paris for the weekend. Today (Wednesday) is normally my rest day. Tonight's run was super. I was comfortable the whole way through. (well, my legs and hips were getting stiff towards the end but nothing awful). I much prefer running at night. Its much cooler. I also cannot believe this but I love the long runs better than the short ones. Tonight's run felt quicker than any 2 mile run I've had to do. AND the great news is I ran further than my aim without knowing it. I said I'd go a bit further than last week's 4 mile run because I hadn't quite made it to 4 miles last week. Because I felt good I thought maybe I needed to go a bit further to get to the 4 miles. And so hoping I'd actually done the 4 miles this time, I checked mapmyrun and...........

Result: 4.47 miles/ 7.19k :eek::eek::eek::D
    Time: 49.03

Mile 1: 10.53
    Mile 2: 10.18
    Mile 3: 11.16
    Mile 4: 9.58 (under 10mins PB:D)

I got weighed in tonight. I lost another 2.5lbs last week.

Wonderful day! Two great personal achievements! :)

I much prefer running at night. Its much cooler. I also cannot believe this but I love the long runs better then the short ones.
    Y'know, I agree with you on both counts there - running on spring and summer evenings is so very nice, and the long easy runs are great :)

You're doing fantastic, and you could probably run a 10k next weekend if you had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Woo hoo! Keep up the great work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Enjoying reading your blog, ur doing so well! congrats on the weight loss too, such a great achievement! I did the mini marathon for the first time last yr too, you will have a great day, esp as your putting the training in! You'll be well able for it the rate your going and so will just be able to relax and enjoy the great atmosphere as you whizz around!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good stuff Dolliemix. I agree with the others. Once you've gone over 4 miles in training you'd do a 10k no problem now.

Week 5

Day 1 Friday: 30 min run instead of stretch and strength. I'm away for the bank holiday weekend so its the easiest thing to do.

Day 2 Saturday: Sight seeing in Paris

Day 3 Sunday: Sight seeing in Paris

Day 4 Monday: 3 mile run

Day 5 Tuesday: 2 mile run and Stretch and Strength

Day 6: Wednesday 60 min cross training

Taking Thursday as rest day

Day 7 Friday: 4.5 mile run/ 7.2k

Week 5 Day 4

Aim 3 mile run/4.8k

Result: 3.06 miles/ 4.92k
    Time: 30.36

Mile 1: 10.02
    Mile 2: 9.36
    Mile 3: 9.33

By far my favourite run in weeks! I felt comfortable pushing myself at the end. I felt fantastic the whole way through. I wasn't expecting this considering I drank a brewery and ate some wonderfully rich and fat full food over the weekend. I was sure I would feel sluggish and dehydrated but it was the complete opposite!!! That time is similar to the 5k race time at the end of March....and I was running under 10 min mile again!.

I read somewhere that for each pound you lose in weight you knock off two seconds to your time.....I'm definitely finding it so much easier with less weight. Tonights run was the most motivating in a long time, I'm really happy with it!

Glad to hear you are reaping the benefits of your hard work. Well done!

Week 5 Day 5

Aim: 2 mile run and strength

Result: 2.06 mile/ 3.32k run

Time: 20.29

Mile 1: 10.31
    Mile 2: 9.07

Very fast 2nd mile for me. Delighted with that.
    This run wasn't as enjoyable as last night but there is a very gradual climb for the first mile so its tough.

Strength will be my yoga class for beginners later. I decided to stick with the beginners class and work on improving the basics.

Just reading over some of the comments you 'experts' have left me.....saying once you hit the 4 mile point it gets easier! I'm chuffed that you would say that. Thanks! I really am feeling the benefits. I'm loving it and I feel great after running! I lost another 1.5lbs tonight inspite of my hedonistic weekend!:D
    I've lost over 20lbs since the beginning of March now.

Week 5 Day 6

Aim: 60mins crosstraining

Result: 60mins tennis.

I played really badly. My knees were sore. I couldn't run for balls that I normally would go for. I'll be playing league matches for the next 5 weeks. I think I'm going to have to tweek Hal higdon so that I'm not running the day before my league matches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement