Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From C25k to Novice 10k with Hal Hidgon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on hitting the 4-mile mark, and the weight loss. Keep it going!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks Digijem! Really enjoying it all :)

Week 5 Day 7

Aim: 4.5k/ 7.2k

Just in! Decided to do long run tonight because things are getting a bit tight timewise and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to fit it in tomorrow. Plus I'm planning a drink or two this evening.

I did well tonight. My quads are very tight for some reason but the run losened them out. Again, I felt fantastic. The last km or so was hard but I knew I was going to make it. My last km home is a gradual uphill and the mini marathon is flat so that always makes me feel better. I ran up Nutley lane and up and over the UCD bridge this evening. My memory of that is far worse than reality, which I'm delighted to know, because I was really dreading it for the mini marathon. I know I'll have put in an extra 2-3k at that point on the day, but I'm not worried about it now like I was before. Now for the stats. I ran a little shorter than I should have but thats because I measured it wrong from the car, not because I had to stop! :D

Result: 4.42miles/ 7.11k

Time: 48.40

Mile 1: 11.55
    Mile 2: 9.03
    Mile 3: 9.56
    Mile 4: 10.43

Happy! :)

I'll have to revamp Hals schedule again to suit my life for Week 6.

I got Week 5 finished a day early to help. I'll be playing league tennis for the next four or five weeks. (Or even more if we do well!) I was playing awful at training on Wednesday and I reckon I was really tired so my legs weren't up to it. I'd prefer not to do anything too drastic the day before a league match as a result. I've a league match this Tuesday so I'll take Monday as a rest day.

Heres Hals Plan:

Day 1: Stretch & strength
    Day 2: 3 m run
    Day 3: 40 min cross
    Day 4: 2 m run + strength
    Day 5:Rest
    Day 6: 60 min cross
    Day 7: 5 m run

My plan Week 6

Day 1 Friday: Stretch and Strength (An hour and a half yoga)
    Day 2 Saturday: 3 mile run
    Day 3 Sunday: 40 min cross
    Day 4 Monday: Rest
    Day 5 Tuesday: 60 cross (Tennis)
    Day 6: Wednesday: 2 mile run/ Stretch and Strength???
    Thursday: Rest/ yoga???
    Day 7: Friday: 5 mile run

There's not enough days in the week at the moment. I've loads of stuff on. I'm doing well if I get that 5 mile run done on Friday. But there's no panic because I'm well ahead of myself with the program. There's three weeks left of the program and over four weeks left till 10k Mini Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Keep up the good work, i cant believe how much your managing to fit in!!! Im tired reading ur log!!!!
    If this helps - when ur running up nutley lane there is generally kids out with hoses spraying water to cool you down which is not only nice but quite fun! You'll be distracted from the hill so that combined with your obvious improvement with hills will mean you'll sail up it!!
    Best of luck with the rest of the plan, and i'd say dont overdo it but because of your yoga you will be in great condition! i really need to stretch more..... as you said, not enough days!!:)

Thanks Dublin Runner. I hope I'm not doing too much because I want to sustain this. Its a long-term thing I hope, and not just a phase . But I should be able to do running three times a week and yoga once or twice a week. Health is the most important thing. I was in the obese BMI category just over two months ago, which shocked the hell out of me. Anyway, the main thing is I'm enjoying it. I find going to the gym very time consuming and sometimes it feels more like a chore, not necessarily the exercise part, but having the change of clothes and trying to remember everything from towels to socks to shampoo to conditioner etc. With the running, even though I can't believe I'm saying this, I feel great being out in the fresh air and taking it all in! And apart from a little bit of extra washing it's completely hassle free:D

Week 6 Day 1

Aim Stretch and Strength

Result: Last nights 1 and a half hour yoga class

Last night the yoga class I went to was completely out of my league! They were doing headstands and all sorts! lol! I just did what I could and I got some really good stretching done. I was even able to touch my toes while stretching my hamstrings from sitting. I'd say thats the first time I've done that in over 10 years at least! My core and upper body is a little stiff today but it feels great to know I'm working new parts of my body.

Hoping to get out for a 3 mile run later this evening when it cools down a bit.

Week 6 Day 2

Aim: 3 mile run

Friggin Mapmyrun didn't work again.

Did the exact same route as Monday's 3 mile run. So I did just over 3 miles/ just under 5k. Have the time but not the lap times...which I kind of enjoy looking at!

Result: 3 miles

Time: 30.43

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Really coming along there Dolli. Well done!

Week 6 Day 3

Aim: 40 mins cross
    Result: low impact tennis for an hour

Week 6 Day 4

Rest

Week 6 day 5

Aim: 60 mins cross

Result: an hour and a half singles tennis

Ate a lot of crap here and there today and yesterday. My stomach is in bits since the weekend. Not sleeping well as a result and when I'm tired and my stomach is acting up I eat really badly :(

Better day today stomach wise but still not 100%. Had to take a pepcid tablet at about 11 o clock.

Week 6 Day 6 Part 1

I missed the 2mile with stretch and strength day this week so I'm doing one half tonight and the other tomorrow. So run tonight and yoga tomorrow. Made the run a little longer to make up for it.

Aim: 4k run/ 2.5 miles

Result: 4.1k/ 2.49miles

Time: 24.10

Mile 1: 9.34
    Mile 2: 9.42

Both miles under 10. I knew I was flying it!!:D

Felt good tonight. There was no dull stitch that normally decides my pace holding me back.

• Advertisement

Week 6 Day 6 Part 2

Aim: Stretch and Strength

Result: 70 mins yoga

Feels like there are little people running around in my stomach. Pain go away. Not sleeping great as a result of stomach ulcer so I'm exhausted now. Hope I sleep straight through tonight but not looking likely :(

Week 6 Day 7

Aim: 5 mile run

Final day of week 6! Took it really easy today. Had quite a sore stitch for the first km or two....and then it just went!

A lot of stopping at traffic lights so the time isn't a true reflection! :D Didn't make the 5 miles because, again, I had measured the loop wrong form my car. I would have been able for more if I'd know. My hips/groin/thighs got tight atthe end but not painful tight. Really enjoyed this run. Did part of the mini marathon route as well from herbert park to merrion and up nutley lane.

Result: 4.64 miles/ 7.47k

Time: 55.03

Mile 1: 12.04
    Mile 2: 9.58
    Mile 3: 11.00
    Mile 4: 11.00

lol at the time it took me to do each mile! Very comfortable pace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Congrats on finishing week 6! Only 2 more weeks to go (and 3 to mini-m!) You're flying it! What are you going to do after the 10K, are u going to do one of HH's 15K/Half Marathon programs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats on finishing week 6! Only 2 more weeks to go (and 3 to mini-m!) You're flying it! What are you going to do after the 10K, are u going to do one of HH's 15K/Half Marathon programs?

Why don't you join RK's Marathon group ;) Seriously though I was at the same point this time last year, I had only just reached 10k as a longest run when I joined the Mrathon Movice group. It would be some achievement to come all that way in one year and run DCM!!

Week 7 Day 1

Result: 1 hour body balance class

That class was at 12 o clock. Spent the rest of the day in bed dozing on and off and trying to ignore a fireball in my stomach. Woke up at 4am feeling better and went back to sleep until 9 this morning. feeling ok now but don't trust my stomach at all

whats going on with your stomach? is it just acid? poor thing, sounds like its giving constant bother? If its not something you normally suffer from id get it checked out, just to be done with it! Its so hard to run or do anything when you have tummy trouble!:(

• Advertisement

Hi Dublinrunner. Thanks for your concern! I'm so frustrated with it. I have ongoing problems with stomach ulcers. I took antibiotics a few weeks ago, so I thought that would sort it for another couple of years, which is normally the case. The pain is very severe this time around and I feel like its lasting longer as well. I'm going to give it a few days, take some manuka honey and if I don't improve I'll head back to the doctor. Funnily, I don't feel the pain as bad when I'm running! But its really getting me down now. I can't make plans as I never know how sick I'll feel from day to day. Anyway, I guess keeping this plan going is making me feel that at least I'm doing something positive for my health. This will pass, I know, and I want to feel in top form, in every way, when I get through this!

Week 7 Day 2

Result: 3 mile run in around 33 mins.MAp my run didn't work.

I feel really happy with that time considering I feel like s**t and I played an easy game of tennis this morning AND went for an hour walk this afternoon.

Week 7 Day 3

Aim: 2 mile run and Strength

Result: 2.46 mile/3.96k

Time: 26.30

Mile 1: 10.31
    Mile 2: 9.53

Heading to 1hr15min yoga class now

Week 7 Day 4

Result: Ended up cycling to and from work cos my car got broken in to. :mad:

An hour and a half singles tennis

dolliemix wrote: »
    Week 7 Day 4

Result: Ended up cycling to and from work cos my car got broken in to. :mad:

An hour and a half singles tennis

Crap what happened? Did they take anything? Feckers!

Thats horrible! Gits! as my mother would say..it'll bring them bad luck, mind you that wont get u ur valuables back! :mad:

• Advertisement

Jeez dolliemix, that sucks about your car, hope they didnt do too much damage. Despite all that, you still got through your 60 mins cross, well done!

Hey Dollie is everything ok? You haven't posted here in a while, are u still running? Hope everything got sorted with your car xx

Hey guys

I'm back! Took a whole week off two weeks ago! Just got caught up with work being unbelievably busy....loads of social events - wedding, retirements and just general - lets go out and enjoy the sunshine. I also had to go back on antibiotics for stomach ulcer.

Anyway I didn't do any exercise for a whole week :eek:.....but got back into it and I felt fine. A little stiff after my first run but still good.

I'm a week behind with Hals program. I ran 8k on Monday and my hips were very tight after, but I did some yoga Tuesday night, played a singles tennis match that went on for 2 and a half hours on Wednesday, ran 5k on Thursday and on Friday did a really tough hour and a half yoga session Friday.

Yesterday I played tennis for over an hour and I'll go for a gentle walk later.

Tomorrow I will attempt to jog the whole 10k mini marathon.

I should at this stage have run 9.2k but because of my impromptu week off, I'm a little behind. Hope I'll be ok though. I feel great! And I reckon the adrenaline of the race and the crowds will bring me that extra 2k!

Drinking loads of water today and eating healthy fruit veg and fish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine! Given that you've managed 8k fine, you'll drag yourself the last 2km on the day. Last 4km are pretty much downhill anyway once you're off the Belfield flyover :D

Was getting worried about ya for a bit there :eek:

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I've spent the last 4 months visualising myself running over the finishing line of this race so I don't care how crap I might feel - I'm determined to not walk one inch!!!

Good luck with the pb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Good to see you back Dolliemix, Youve been a week or two ahead of me since the start of the c25k (all those months ago! look at us now!) and now Im caught up with you - but youve been a great inspiration throughout so Im glad you havent disappeared! Good luck tomorrow, I'll be there somewhere too, all these months have been gearing up to this so have a really great day.

Welcome back & good luck tomorrow! You'll do fine tomorrow with the training you've done, go out there and enjoy yourself.

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Good to see you back Dolliemix, Youve been a week or two ahead of me since the start of the c25k (all those months ago! look at us now!) and now Im caught up with you - but youve been a great inspiration throughout so Im glad you havent disappeared! Good luck tomorrow, I'll be there somewhere too, all these months have been gearing up to this so have a really great day.

Thats great to hear! I'm actually really excited! Well done on sticking with the program. Looking forward to seeing how you get on
    DigiJem wrote: »
    Welcome back & good luck tomorrow! You'll do fine tomorrow with the training you've done, go out there and enjoy yourself.

Thanks Digijem and rainbow kirby for the comments and for all the encouragement throughout!

Apologies to anyone who posts on the Mini Marathon thread because I'm literally copying and pasting my account of todays race.

My car got clamped this morning in a spot that I've always parked it in outside my apartment for 7 years!! I was feeling seriously sorry for myself going in to the race, but then when I saw all the 40,000 other people around me running for such worthy causes it put things in perspective. I only wish I could have given that money to the charity I was running for!

I crossed the starting line at 7.50. The first 2k was like an obstacle course. I couldn't believe I'd only run 2k when I saw the 2k mark cos I felt wrecked with all the effort I'd put in trying to get past the walkers and jumping up and down on kerbs! Ran comfortably until the 7k mark, although I was big time jealous when I saw the other people running away from UCD bridge as I was running up towards it. Started feeling tight at 7k and its all a bit of a daze from there on in. I remember the fireman hosing us down in Donnybrook and the unending line of clowns I felt like there was no way I had made it in under 1.10 but I managed to pick it up a bit at Leeson Street. I couldn't believe it when I turned into Stephens Green and the clock said 1.13. I legged it to the finish and came in at 1.14.15. So I made it in under 1.10!!! Yay! 1.06.25 to be precise. Delighted! Didn't get a chip, but I'll definitely try and get a time in some other race for next year....and aim for under the hour!

Well done to everyone who participated and a big well done and thanks to all the support and stewards who must have been freezing!

Very well done :)

Onwards and upwards? Sub-hour 10k and maybe something longer? ;)

• Advertisement

I need to work out what to do next. I'm going away for three weeks in July so I can't do any 8 week plan! I'm feeling lost! :eek::D I might start a Hal Higdon 15k plan just to keep the fitness up.

Great job today Dolliemix... so,
    c25k - check
    HH 5-10k - check
    HH 10k to half marathon?:D come on, its only double what we did today:eek::eek:
    (yes I know I might be slightly touched by madness and shouldnt be making any rash decisions right now)
    Now I must wander off and start a log of my own.
    Well done again.

Congrats on todays 10k, you must feel brill! Yeah I though I was hallucinating when I saw when I saw a line of clowns at the side of the road...I hate clowns, I have clown issues :eek:

Where to next? Maybe give yourself a few days to think about it, review how far you've come since you started, enjoy your achievements and then see what you want to shoot for next.

Well done again!

Right need to stay fit so I'm going to follow the first three/ four week Hal Higdons Half Marathon for Novices until my holidays 9th July. I'm heading away for a long weekend in the middle so I wont be sticking religiously to it, but it should keep my fitness up and give me some kind of plan. Hopefully Tipsygypsy might join me! :) My left hip is still a little tight after mini marathon but a complete day of rest and an epsom salt bath last night has definitely helped.

I have tennis tonight so I'll begin the program tomorrow.

His plan looks like this for Week 1:

Monday: Stretch and Strength
    Tuesday: 3 mile run
    Wednesday: 2 mile run or cross
    Thursday: 3 mile run and strength
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 30 min cross
    Sunday: 4 mile run

My plan:

Thursday: Stretch and Strength (yoga)
    Friday: 3 mile run
    Saturday: 2 mile run or cross
    Sunday: Hiking
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 3 mile run and Strength
    Wednesday: 30 min cross
    Thursday: 4 mile run

Novice Half Marathon Plan

Week 1 Day 1:

Result: One Hour Easy Yoga Class

All right! Hal Higdon Half here we go! I started my own log earlier - have signed up for the Adidas Series in Pheonix Park that finishes with a Half. Lead the way Dollie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Week 1 Day 1:

Result: One Hour Easy Yoga Class

thats the spirit well done so far and good luck in the future

Hal Higdon Novice Half Marathon

Week 1 Day 2

Result: 2.93 mile/ 4.71k

Mile 1: 11.01

Mile 2: 10.02

It is so hot out there. I really had nothing left in me at the end of that run. Soul of my foot was very tender which is a worry. I suffered from plantar facitis in that area two years ago and had to give up hockey as a result. I'm hoping its just general tiredness from the mini marathon and perhaps all the hard work I put in leading up to the 10k. My body might need a break from the concrete running but I'm going to try and keep pounding away cos I know I'm getting a big break in July. Anyway I'm really enjoying how strong and fit I feel.

My next run won't be until next Tuesday so I've a good break to continue recovery from the MM.

Hal Higdon Novice Half Marathon Plan

Week 1 Day 3

Aim: 2 mile run or cross training

Result: Mad random sighting of celebrity! Cycled to body balance in gym. When I got there the girl at the desk told me the time had changed and I was actually late. Was a little bit miffed as I had checked the website but she told me it hadn't been updated :mad: Anyway I decided to go for a cycle instead. I was cycling out the Rock Road from Sandymount towards Blackrock. As I was passing a garage I noticed two men putting air in their bike tyres. I looked again......Paul Mc Cartney!!!! So I turned back just to make sure. Himself and his friend/bodyguard so knew what I was up! :D
    Anyway they cycled off towards Blackrock and I didn't want to be too stalkerish so I just cycled home.

10k cycle in all! But I'll be cycling into town later so that will be another 10k.

Just did a short 30min yoga session based on an iphone app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Well done on the 10k & good luck on your new challenge!
    I'm going to be doing pilates on my stretch & strengthen day :)
    Don't cycle though, maybe I should start & see who I can spot on my travels!

Well done on the 10k & good luck on your new challenge!
    I'm going to be doing pilates on my stretch & strengthen day :)
    Don't cycle though, maybe I should start & see who I can spot on my travels!

Pilates is a great idea. Having a strong core is supposed to be really good for running.

Cycling is handy. You're still using your legs but your feet aren't pounding the ground so it gives them a little break. Its also just really nice to get out in the fresh air especially in weather like this :)

Hal Higdon Half Marathon Plan

Week 1 Day 4

Aim: Cross training

Result: 5 mile hike. Lovely coastal walk Bray-Greystones

Sounds great Dolliemix. We went up Bray head a few weeks ago & it was certainly a good workout!
    I was looking at the plan this morning & see that Thursday are
    3m (and increasing) +strength
    Are you substituting this with a cross training day? I was wondering how one earth I'll manage a 3+mile run AND a weights session at gym, both in terms of time and energy/ability.

I think Hal Higdon's definition of strength workouts and your idea of a weights session at the gym might be 2 different things entirely! He tends to favour light weights/high reps strength workouts for some reason.

I think Hal Higdon's definition of strength workouts and your idea of a weights session at the gym might be 2 different things entirely! He tends to favour light weights/high reps strength workouts for some reason.

Pshaw Hal! 1 kg are useful as doorjams only! I think EileenG posted a simple quick-ish routine a while back, I'll have a go at that this week....but which first? run or weights?
    I'm going to the thing in RAW on Saturday so I'm sure I'll get some pointers there.

• Advertisement

I'll see you there on Saturday then, really looking forward to it! (Though my 10 mile LSR on Sunday might not be so pleasant after it :eek: )

Hey Dotcomdolly I've sort of changed everything around so that it can fit into whatever plans I've made already so I don't necessarily do the Monday plan on Monday etc

I'm not doing weights. When I was doing the 10k plan I used yoga as strength. So in fairness its not as daunting doing a 5k run and then an hour of yoga after. (Cant believe I'm saying that! :D)

I'd love to do that class with gem but I'm going away this weekend. Looking forward to hearing how you guys get on. She said she'd try and do another one so hopefully I'll be around for that. Its so sound of her to offer her time like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Week 1 Day 1:

Hi dolliemix and dotcomdolly!

Well done on starting your training!

I hope you dont mind my input here! I am also starting Hal Hidgon and today is my week one, day one. :D

I am confused about the Stretch and Strenght though.

I see you are doing yoga which is a great idea.

I do not want to do yoga as I have never done it before and I want my Mondays to be something I can do at home myself.

I used to do some light exercises on my "days off" running (I have completed a 10k) such as some light weights (1.5kg) some squats (using the weights at same time), lunges and situps and other ab exercises.

I do not know any stretches for my legs etc. Do you or anyone else have any ideas what I should do?

Hi Yungwan

Doing the weights at home is great. I like doing yoga because I'm sort of lazy about stretching myself and I love yoga anyway.

Heres a website that might help you with stretching.

Good luck with the program. Hopefully we'll all be encouraging each other along the way!

Hal Higdon Half Marathon Plan

Week 1 Day 6

Aim: 3 mile run and strength

Result:

1.5 hour yoga class
    3 mile run

Yoga class this morning was way too advanced for me but I enjoyed the challenge
    3 mile run this evening was tough. It is so hot out there. I'm just back now and the sweat is dripping off me. If I was doing the Hal Higdon properly I'd have to do weights now!

I feel great that I got that run in. I'm super stressed with work stuff and I really needed a half hour break from it. Initially I was telling myself I didn't have time for the run, then for the first ten minutes of the run I was feeling guilty that I'd taken the break from work. Then the run started getting hard and I really had to focus to keep going. By the end I had completely forgotten about work. Its only when I walked in the door that I realised I better get stuck in again quick! :D

So a well deserved shower for me now and a head that is clear and ready to get back on task!

• Advertisement
Advertisement