Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From C25k to Novice 10k with Hal Hidgon

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I found it hot too this evening. It great the way a run like that can clear the head, isnt it. Im still amazed that nowadays when Im stressed I crave a run!
    Good luck with the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    . Im still amazed that nowadays when Im stressed I crave a run!
    I tell you with 2 small kids it is such a great release. I remember when we were snowed off school, I was running out the door, snow or no snow just to get some "me" time and run off all the pent up stress (lol, they're lovely kids really).

Hope the work is going well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Final Day of Week 1 Half Marathon Plan

Aim: 4 mile run

Result 3.5ish mile run 39 mins

Map my run didn't work and I really ran out of steam and stopped short of my plan.

Couple of things could have caused this:

1. I didn't drink enough water yesterday (possibly 1 litre should be drinking at least two a day)
    2. I've been eating crappy salty food and chocolate the last two days
    3. I'm wrecked. Been going to bed late and getting up early to work
    4. Its so hot. Even at 9 o clock in the morning!
    5. I think mentally I'm just really tired. I'm also switching into holiday mode. I'm going away for four days now. ANd when I come back I'll be heading off on my big summer holiday after two weeks.

That was my first time running in the morning on an empty stomach as well. It wasn't awful but I knew energy levels were low, but I reckon the fact that I didn't have enough water in the system was the biggest thing so I'll still try a morning run again. Its a great way to start the day!

SO I'm off to do some damage for the weekend! It wasn't a great run but I did it and I'm glad of that.

I'll be back on Monday after a 5k run hopefully!

dolliemix wrote: »

SO I'm off to do some damage for the weekend! It wasn't a great run but I did it and I'm glad of that.

I'll be back on Monday after a 5k run hopefully![/QUOTE

Exactly, better than no run at all. Have a great weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Exactly! At least you did it!!

My first week is not going to plan at all... to say the least!!
    Enjoy your weekend!

Just checking in. I had a great weekend but I came home with a really sore throat which feels like it could be travelling down to my chest. So I've really been taking it easy. Loads of fluids/ garlic/ lemon/ honey. Felt awful yesterday and Monday. But I'm a bit better today. Don't want to chance getting a chest infection so I'm not going running until I'm sure its cleared up.

Very frustrating as I'd love to be out there and I feel like a total slob watching all the really fit footballers playing in the World Cup. But I'm still feeling a bit weak and today is the first day I haven't been falling asleep every two hours and haven't felt the need to take painkillers for the throat.

I'd love to try a little run (20 mins) on Friday or Saturday and see how it goes from there.

Last run was on almost a week ago! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best to look after yourself until it's properly cleared up. Maybe go for a bit of a walk tomorrow and then a short run at the weekend?

Best to look after yourself until it's properly cleared up. Maybe go for a bit of a walk tomorrow and then a short run at the weekend?

Id love to do that. Im dying to keep it all up but I'm heading away on my holidays in two weeks and the last thing I need is to be finishing off antibiotics heading off so I'm being ultra cautious!

Feeling much better today! Still a bit clogged bit I'm nearly sure I'm ready to run again. I have two weeks between now and my holiday so I'll try and get out 6/7 times between now and then with yoga in between, healthy eating and some walking/cycling.

I'm not following any particular plan. When I get back from holidays end of July I'm going to start the Hal Higdon Half Mararthon from scratch. I'm actually excited about it!

This week plan:

Thursday: 20 min easy jog
    Friday: Body Balance Class
    Saturday: 3 mile run
    Sunday: Walk/ Cycle
    Monday: 2/3 mile run and 1 hour yoga class
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 4 mile run

Went out for my 23 min run tonight and I felt fantastic. I wish I could bottle that feeling I had out there for every run.

So happy I was able for the 2 miles ish I ran.

Back on tracK! :)

• Advertisement

1 hour body balance this morning. I feel great after. I bet mt stomach will be sore tomorrow cos he really had us doing strange core exercises.

I love that I'm back into it!

I drank so much alcohol last night it would have been dangerous if I went for a 5k run today! So the plan has changed 5k tomorrow by hook or by crook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well have you done it yet? Ah the downside of posting plans in a public forum!!

Otherwise I like that you have the run / life balance in check!

4.7 k done! It is hot out there.

Everything felt perfect except for the heat. I have to admit I did have to stop before I should have. The last 500m was just one big footpath of exposed sunshine...not a tree or shade to be seen! So I didn't quite make it to my finish line. But I actually felt even before I set out that I might not make it that far at all. I had told myself that it would be ok to walk a bit if I needed....I didn't :)

Tomorrow I will run 2 miles and one hour yoga! Yes I will! :D

I'm going to watch the German England match now with some Germans. For every drink I have I will drink water in between. I never want to feel like I felt yesterday again! :o

Good woman for sticking to your hook or crook!

Glad to see you're feeling better missus.

Thanks for your comments guys! Its good to know I'm being watched! :D

I did the one hour yoga but I didn't get to do my run. My father fell off his bike and I had to bring him to A&E. He's all stitched up now but I just don't have the energy to run. I'm going to head out for a little walk though to clear my head.

I think I'll try 4 miles tomorrow cos I was feeling great in yoga. My heels are almost on the ground in downward facing dog!

Just to add.....I did a 40 min walk last night. It was nice!

6.59k/ 4.1 miles in 44.22

Mile 1: 10.52
    Mile 2: 10.10
    Mile 3: 10.07
    Mile 4

Delighted I did this tonight. I'm really on winding down mode in the run up to my holiday so I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to get out.

I felt amazing when I got home though. I honestly didn't think I had 4 miles in me!

So I have one more week of a plan left so that I feel as fit and strong as possible heading away. Here it is:

Wednesday : 1hr 15 min yoga
    Thursday: 5k/ 3 mile run
    Friday: Body Balance Class
    Saturday: 5k/3mile run
    Sunday: Cross
    Monday: body balance/yoga
    Tuesday: Rest/Cross
    Wednesday: 5 mile run
    Thursday: en route to Tokyo

I didn't get out today. I was supposed to do yoga but ended up in A&E with my 68 year old Dad again after his fall on Sunday. The man is 500 times fitter than me and this is the third time this year I've ended up bringing him to a hospital with a sports related injury!!! He's fine hopefully. I'll try and do a run and yoga tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

I didn't get out today. I was supposed to do yoga but ended up in A&E with my 68 year old Dad again after his fall on Sunday. The man is 500 times fitter than me and this is the third time this year I've ended up bringing him to a hospital with a sports related injury!!! He's fine hopefully. I'll try and do a run and yoga tomorrow.

Poor thing, hope you and he are ok xx

Tnx Brainy. He's still in a lot of pain today but seems more upbeat!

Anyway, changed my plan again, but I'm exhausted and really stressed with work deadline, dad being sick and not prepared at all for holiday. I even had a nightmare last night that I had to go on holiday then and there. I had nothing done or ready!!!

So I managed to walk to yoga (30 mins), do yoga (1 hr), fell asleep in the meditation for the first time! Then I ran home from yoga. (17 mins).I think its between 1.5 and 2 miles.

I had a milkshake with icecream and nutella today and I've just felt so bloated since. I honestly feel like I've put a whole stone on. I'm beginning to wonder is there a dairy intolerance in me? I even got a stitch as I was drinking it! (It was delish)

so even though exercise wise I didn't do as much as planned, I still did ok, I feel crappy after that milkshake - no more of them for me :(

I had a milkshake with icecream and nutella today and I've just felt so bloated since. I honestly feel like I've put a whole stone on. I'm beginning to wonder is there a dairy intolerance in me? I even got a stitch as I was drinking it! (It was delish)

so even though exercise wise I didn't do as much as planned, I still did ok, I feel crappy after that milkshake - no more of them for me :(

Even if it made you feel sick it does sound yummy - when I was pregnant on my youngest and quiting smoking I once ate an entire (large) tub of nutella by the spoon in one sitting - my god, I was sick for days, didnt put me off the stuff though, it still takes all my strength to pass it in the shop!
    And lol at falling asleep in meditation, hasnt happened to me yet, but have come close.
    I reckon you did pretty good, all things considered.
    Hope your Dad's feeling better, and take it easy you, not long now til holliers, it'll come together! (I know, I know, that easy for me to say).

Advertisement