Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From C25k to Novice 10k with Hal Hidgon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done on the 10k & good luck on your new challenge!
    I'm going to be doing pilates on my stretch & strengthen day :)
    Don't cycle though, maybe I should start & see who I can spot on my travels!

Pilates is a great idea. Having a strong core is supposed to be really good for running.

Cycling is handy. You're still using your legs but your feet aren't pounding the ground so it gives them a little break. Its also just really nice to get out in the fresh air especially in weather like this :)

Hal Higdon Half Marathon Plan

Week 1 Day 4

Aim: Cross training

Result: 5 mile hike. Lovely coastal walk Bray-Greystones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Sounds great Dolliemix. We went up Bray head a few weeks ago & it was certainly a good workout!
    I was looking at the plan this morning & see that Thursday are
    3m (and increasing) +strength
    Are you substituting this with a cross training day? I was wondering how one earth I'll manage a 3+mile run AND a weights session at gym, both in terms of time and energy/ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think Hal Higdon's definition of strength workouts and your idea of a weights session at the gym might be 2 different things entirely! He tends to favour light weights/high reps strength workouts for some reason.

I think Hal Higdon's definition of strength workouts and your idea of a weights session at the gym might be 2 different things entirely! He tends to favour light weights/high reps strength workouts for some reason.

Pshaw Hal! 1 kg are useful as doorjams only! I think EileenG posted a simple quick-ish routine a while back, I'll have a go at that this week....but which first? run or weights?
    I'm going to the thing in RAW on Saturday so I'm sure I'll get some pointers there.

• Advertisement

I'll see you there on Saturday then, really looking forward to it! (Though my 10 mile LSR on Sunday might not be so pleasant after it :eek: )

Hey Dotcomdolly I've sort of changed everything around so that it can fit into whatever plans I've made already so I don't necessarily do the Monday plan on Monday etc

I'm not doing weights. When I was doing the 10k plan I used yoga as strength. So in fairness its not as daunting doing a 5k run and then an hour of yoga after. (Cant believe I'm saying that! :D)

I'd love to do that class with gem but I'm going away this weekend. Looking forward to hearing how you guys get on. She said she'd try and do another one so hopefully I'll be around for that. Its so sound of her to offer her time like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

dolliemix wrote: »
    Novice Half Marathon Plan

Week 1 Day 1:

Aim: Stretch and Strength

Hi dolliemix and dotcomdolly!

Well done on starting your training!

I hope you dont mind my input here! I am also starting Hal Hidgon and today is my week one, day one. :D

I am confused about the Stretch and Strenght though.

I see you are doing yoga which is a great idea.

I do not want to do yoga as I have never done it before and I want my Mondays to be something I can do at home myself.

I used to do some light exercises on my "days off" running (I have completed a 10k) such as some light weights (1.5kg) some squats (using the weights at same time), lunges and situps and other ab exercises.

I do not know any stretches for my legs etc. Do you or anyone else have any ideas what I should do?

Hi Yungwan

Doing the weights at home is great. I like doing yoga because I'm sort of lazy about stretching myself and I love yoga anyway.

Heres a website that might help you with stretching.

Good luck with the program. Hopefully we'll all be encouraging each other along the way!

Hal Higdon Half Marathon Plan

Week 1 Day 6

Aim: 3 mile run and strength

Result:

1.5 hour yoga class
    3 mile run

Yoga class this morning was way too advanced for me but I enjoyed the challenge
    3 mile run this evening was tough. It is so hot out there. I'm just back now and the sweat is dripping off me. If I was doing the Hal Higdon properly I'd have to do weights now!

I feel great that I got that run in. I'm super stressed with work stuff and I really needed a half hour break from it. Initially I was telling myself I didn't have time for the run, then for the first ten minutes of the run I was feeling guilty that I'd taken the break from work. Then the run started getting hard and I really had to focus to keep going. By the end I had completely forgotten about work. Its only when I walked in the door that I realised I better get stuck in again quick! :D

So a well deserved shower for me now and a head that is clear and ready to get back on task!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I found it hot too this evening. It great the way a run like that can clear the head, isnt it. Im still amazed that nowadays when Im stressed I crave a run!
    Good luck with the work.

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    . Im still amazed that nowadays when Im stressed I crave a run!
    I tell you with 2 small kids it is such a great release. I remember when we were snowed off school, I was running out the door, snow or no snow just to get some "me" time and run off all the pent up stress (lol, they're lovely kids really).

Hope the work is going well for you.

Final Day of Week 1 Half Marathon Plan

Aim: 4 mile run

Result 3.5ish mile run 39 mins

Map my run didn't work and I really ran out of steam and stopped short of my plan.

Couple of things could have caused this:

1. I didn't drink enough water yesterday (possibly 1 litre should be drinking at least two a day)
    2. I've been eating crappy salty food and chocolate the last two days
    3. I'm wrecked. Been going to bed late and getting up early to work
    4. Its so hot. Even at 9 o clock in the morning!
    5. I think mentally I'm just really tired. I'm also switching into holiday mode. I'm going away for four days now. ANd when I come back I'll be heading off on my big summer holiday after two weeks.

That was my first time running in the morning on an empty stomach as well. It wasn't awful but I knew energy levels were low, but I reckon the fact that I didn't have enough water in the system was the biggest thing so I'll still try a morning run again. Its a great way to start the day!

SO I'm off to do some damage for the weekend! It wasn't a great run but I did it and I'm glad of that.

I'll be back on Monday after a 5k run hopefully!

SO I'm off to do some damage for the weekend! It wasn't a great run but I did it and I'm glad of that.

I'll be back on Monday after a 5k run hopefully![/QUOTE

Exactly, better than no run at all. Have a great weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Exactly! At least you did it!!

My first week is not going to plan at all... to say the least!!
    Enjoy your weekend!

Just checking in. I had a great weekend but I came home with a really sore throat which feels like it could be travelling down to my chest. So I've really been taking it easy. Loads of fluids/ garlic/ lemon/ honey. Felt awful yesterday and Monday. But I'm a bit better today. Don't want to chance getting a chest infection so I'm not going running until I'm sure its cleared up.

Very frustrating as I'd love to be out there and I feel like a total slob watching all the really fit footballers playing in the World Cup. But I'm still feeling a bit weak and today is the first day I haven't been falling asleep every two hours and haven't felt the need to take painkillers for the throat.

I'd love to try a little run (20 mins) on Friday or Saturday and see how it goes from there.

Last run was on almost a week ago! :(

Best to look after yourself until it's properly cleared up. Maybe go for a bit of a walk tomorrow and then a short run at the weekend?

Best to look after yourself until it's properly cleared up. Maybe go for a bit of a walk tomorrow and then a short run at the weekend?

Id love to do that. Im dying to keep it all up but I'm heading away on my holidays in two weeks and the last thing I need is to be finishing off antibiotics heading off so I'm being ultra cautious!

Feeling much better today! Still a bit clogged bit I'm nearly sure I'm ready to run again. I have two weeks between now and my holiday so I'll try and get out 6/7 times between now and then with yoga in between, healthy eating and some walking/cycling.

I'm not following any particular plan. When I get back from holidays end of July I'm going to start the Hal Higdon Half Mararthon from scratch. I'm actually excited about it!

This week plan:

Thursday: 20 min easy jog
    Friday: Body Balance Class
    Saturday: 3 mile run
    Sunday: Walk/ Cycle
    Monday: 2/3 mile run and 1 hour yoga class
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 4 mile run

Went out for my 23 min run tonight and I felt fantastic. I wish I could bottle that feeling I had out there for every run.

So happy I was able for the 2 miles ish I ran.

Back on tracK! :)

• Advertisement

1 hour body balance this morning. I feel great after. I bet mt stomach will be sore tomorrow cos he really had us doing strange core exercises.

I love that I'm back into it!

I drank so much alcohol last night it would have been dangerous if I went for a 5k run today! So the plan has changed 5k tomorrow by hook or by crook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well have you done it yet? Ah the downside of posting plans in a public forum!!

Otherwise I like that you have the run / life balance in check!

4.7 k done! It is hot out there.

Everything felt perfect except for the heat. I have to admit I did have to stop before I should have. The last 500m was just one big footpath of exposed sunshine...not a tree or shade to be seen! So I didn't quite make it to my finish line. But I actually felt even before I set out that I might not make it that far at all. I had told myself that it would be ok to walk a bit if I needed....I didn't :)

Tomorrow I will run 2 miles and one hour yoga! Yes I will! :D

I'm going to watch the German England match now with some Germans. For every drink I have I will drink water in between. I never want to feel like I felt yesterday again! :o

Good woman for sticking to your hook or crook!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Glad to see you're feeling better missus.

Thanks for your comments guys! Its good to know I'm being watched! :D

I did the one hour yoga but I didn't get to do my run. My father fell off his bike and I had to bring him to A&E. He's all stitched up now but I just don't have the energy to run. I'm going to head out for a little walk though to clear my head.

I think I'll try 4 miles tomorrow cos I was feeling great in yoga. My heels are almost on the ground in downward facing dog!

Just to add.....I did a 40 min walk last night. It was nice!

6.59k/ 4.1 miles in 44.22

Mile 1: 10.52
    Mile 2: 10.10
    Mile 3: 10.07
    Mile 4

Delighted I did this tonight. I'm really on winding down mode in the run up to my holiday so I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to get out.

I felt amazing when I got home though. I honestly didn't think I had 4 miles in me!

So I have one more week of a plan left so that I feel as fit and strong as possible heading away. Here it is:

Wednesday : 1hr 15 min yoga
    Thursday: 5k/ 3 mile run
    Friday: Body Balance Class
    Saturday: 5k/3mile run
    Sunday: Cross
    Monday: body balance/yoga
    Tuesday: Rest/Cross
    Wednesday: 5 mile run
    Thursday: en route to Tokyo

I didn't get out today. I was supposed to do yoga but ended up in A&E with my 68 year old Dad again after his fall on Sunday. The man is 500 times fitter than me and this is the third time this year I've ended up bringing him to a hospital with a sports related injury!!! He's fine hopefully. I'll try and do a run and yoga tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

I didn't get out today. I was supposed to do yoga but ended up in A&E with my 68 year old Dad again after his fall on Sunday. The man is 500 times fitter than me and this is the third time this year I've ended up bringing him to a hospital with a sports related injury!!! He's fine hopefully. I'll try and do a run and yoga tomorrow.

Poor thing, hope you and he are ok xx

Advertisement