Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defragging HD'zzzzz

• 03-04-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

So I am really tired of spending the guts of a day defragging my PC every month or so. Its taking for ever.

I have 8x HD's 2x 1TB's and 6 others varying from 500GB to 250GB

Does anyone know of a program that will Q up all my HD's and De-Frag them all for me over night one after the other and then shut the PC down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If you need to defrag every month, then you need to look at why this is. What is the profile of your data, does it change regularly, are the drives >90% full, and are you suffering performance issues. Also, are you using any RAID in your setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Its not a necessity its something I want to do. I am happy with the way I do things and its not something I really want to change. I dont want to use RAID tbh. I have my HD's separate for a reason which works fine for me tbh. But thanks for the suggestions.

But I was hoping to find a program that would simply allow me to set the system to defrag and then me walk away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler Settings > Options > Schedule

Once a month is a bit frequent to be honest, unless you delete and create large files all the time, and then regularly need to access these files. (e.g. large scale video and photo editing etc).

For the average user defragging once every 6 months might yield a mild improvement in performance, but nothing to get excited about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

But I was hoping to find a program that would simply allow me to set the system to defrag and then me walk away

If you're using Vista/Win7 just open a command prompt (type cmd in the search bar)
    Then type "defrag -w -c"
    This will run a complete defrag of all volumes, one drive at a time

If you want to find out what each command does, type "defrag -?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

http://www.mydefrag.com/ - I have found to be very good, better than Windows' built-in defrag tool.

Edit - this page - http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-TipsAndTricks.html may also help!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Vista and Windows 7 defrag automatically. You shouldn't have to do it manually.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    http://www.piriform.com/defraggler Settings > Options > Schedule

Once a month is a bit frequent to be honest, unless you delete and create large files all the time, and then regularly need to access these files. (e.g. large scale video and photo editing etc).

For the average user defragging once every 6 months might yield a mild improvement in performance, but nothing to get excited about.
    Thanks guys, I will get Piriform, if I remember rights its made by the same ppl as ccleaner so that will do me.

I am a Photographer, well trying to be one anyways. And so I have large files yes, not vids but some of my photos can be as big as a gig when I am editing them. Its nice to have a clean system.

I have XP Pro, was gonna wait for SP1 or SP2 of Win7 before I swapped over. And Vista, /shudders

Thanks for all the input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Defraggler for the win. Defragging is tough on drives so think carefully about backup and redunancy.

not taking into account my normal drives (around 4 HD's split into 7 Partitions spanning almost 3TB) I have 3 1xTB HD's for my photography stuff (The only stuff I really care about tbh). One here, one up stairs and one off site, just in case lol

I should be covered :p

Advertisement