Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steering Locked

• 03-04-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Some f***er broke into my car (1998 Mazda 626) last night. He wasn't able to take it but he's managed to jam the steering, and even with the key in the ignition it won't budge. Has anyone any suggestions? Please and thank you, in advance...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The steering lock is jammed, someone is going to post up another method but if you need it in a hurry jump into the passenger seat and kick the steering wheel very hard, this will smash the steering lock and you'll be able to drive again. I wouldn't recommend this but as I said if your stuck.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Cheers! Ok, I'll hang on a little for another suggestion but it might well come to this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

did you try moving the steering wheel with the key turned with the clutch in ?

samhail wrote: »
    did you try moving the steering wheel with the key turned with the clutch in ?

Tried that, key not budging at all, wheel moves about an inch either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the ignition damaged? As in did he try to start the car with a screwdriver?
    How do you he damaged the st. wheel?

You probably should take it to an expert, if you get it working you don't want it to lock up again on the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wiggle the steering wheel & key a lot while your waiting for suggestions..try putting the key in half way...

I reckon your going to have to bust the lock one way or another, my only fear would be busting the ignition at the same time, think you should be ok though.

No real evidence of damage to the ignition, and the key fits perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Take off the cowling and take a peek at the connectors on the steering lock, could be worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

be extremely careful, you don't want the steering lock reengaging when you drive. replacement would be the safest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    be extremely careful, you don't want the steering lock reengaging when you drive. replacement would be the safest option.

Wouldn't you have to replace the whole barrel just to get the steering lock though? And then add two keys which then need to be coded and that costs a pretty penny, no?

I had to replace my barrel a few weeks ago, uncoded thank god, set me back €160 with free fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on what's damaged. I presume the barrell needs replacing anyway, just make sure the steering lock doesn't have damage to it too.

usually if you can get a barrell cut to the original pattern, the immobiliser don't need coding.

Thanks again to everyone who replied with suggestions. What worked in the end was rolling the car forward a metre or so, instant release of lock. Cheers again...

Advertisement