Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New computer? - Home Recording / Video Editing

• 03-04-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭

I have all my demos done and I want to get them recorded properly using pro tools. I want to get into home recording mainly (also video editing).

I currently have Dell Inspiron, XP Service Pack 2 / 1.86Ghz, 504 MB Ram / SigmaTel High Definition Audio (sound card).

My options....

Should I install Windows 7 on my current machine?
    Get a MacBook?
    Get a new Windows seven Machine?

Also, I am thinking of getting an M-Box with protools. Is this recommended or is there something better on the market these days? Is any sound card OK for pro tool or should I buy a powerful one?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Encoding video is very CPU intensive. The latest Intel i7 CPUs are probably the fastest at rendering today.

The machine you have isn't anything special and upgrading to Windows 7 isn't going to help. The most dramatic difference will come from more RAM, a lot more.

Audio recording isn't as heavy as video, but obviously dedicated hardware is going to give you better results. The sound card in your machine is only a bog standard laptop chip for audio playback.

A Mac, while expensive, is a good option, although I hate to say it :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

hehe.

Well I have just discovered my laptop can only hold a max of 1 gig ram. This is not near enough I am guessing?

Macbook is so tempting... but parting away with 999 euro is just not so easy right now. Is it possible to get a Dell with a similar spec for much cheaper? I read this somewhere before.

Much much cheaper! Check out the Studio 15 range.

1gig would certainy help tho, XP uses about 256MB of RAM on a typical system with various apps running in the background leaving feck all for heavy apps. This is a pretty cheap upgrade and worth trying with some opensource audio and video software.
    For video VirtualDub is great. I'm not so sure about audio. Is Audacity free?

If you want to have more than 4GB (well about 3.6 on Windows) you'll need to go 64 bit which means Windows 7 as XP 64 sucks balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

get a secondhand macbook on ebay, dell sucks the big one

Meh, Dell are grand cheap machines, just don't expect anything exceptional from them.

• Advertisement

yeah thats the attitude of the vast customer base alright! - meh! I'll buy a dell- but hold on a second! - Dell don't actually manufacture anything, they dont stock to shops and they spend millions every year on advertising - which they pass on to you the buyer, Dell are simply buying fujitsu and Acer machines and parts and badging them, so cut out the middle man and buy an Acer, or spend the same money and get a second hand mac, which is fit for the purpose of the OP

And Acer, fujitsu, Dell and Apple all use Intel chips...

At the end of the day a computer is a vast assembly of parts put together by more than one company. No one company is solely better than the rest.

Apple make solid machines but with a hefty price tag. That price tag appears to mean cheaper long term ownership for your average user. But a well maintained OEM Windows Box or Linux box will do just as well.

The best thing the OP could probably do, IMHO, is build his own PC with good quality parts with a bit of a future proof upgrade path. (Hackintosh it if need be)

Obviously he currently has a laptop and would, no doubt, like to continue with one so that puts my personal preference out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VE = Desktop = Self Build :D

[QUOTE=Obviously he currently has a laptop and would, no doubt, like to continue with one so that puts my personal preference out the window.[/QUOTE]

Yep- I use a PowerPC G5 for such endevours, can't imagine using a laptop for protools and video editing

Interesting replies...

I am now going to try upgrading to maximum ram. I also got Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

Recording wise I am thinking of getting:

Forcusrite Saffire 6 USB

Anyone use this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Redegg wrote: »
    Interesting replies...

I am now going to try upgrading to maximum ram. I also got Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

Recording wise I am thinking of getting:

Forcusrite Saffire 6 USB

Anyone use this?

I'd say someone in the Music Production forum would be your best bet but they do seem to get good reviews from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

M-Audio units always go down a treat.

RedEgg, I have and Mbox 2 boxed brand spanking new with protools LE 7.4 & Structure, Amplitube, Reason, its better than the focusrite. care to make me an offer?

Why you selling it?

got a great deal on a digi 002 3 weeks after getting the Mbox, It was an offer I couldn't refuse, Do you have monitors yet, I'll do you a nice deal on an Mbox, beringher monitors and an sm58 mic

Advertisement