Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P**ssed off with Gamestop

Options
  • 03-04-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I bought a second hand ds for my son from Kilkenny Gamestop last June.
    It stopped working this week and i found the receipt and took it back today.
    The original salesperson had written the serial number on the receipt but i didn't realise that this is on a sticker on the back of the ds and has been removed - probably by my son.
    Apparently without this there is no way of identifying the ds. i'm more annoyed with Nintendo than Gamestop - surely if this is so vital it should be engraved on the ds not put on a sticker.
    My other issue is that on the reciept is says Nintendo DS BLA which is presumably all they could fit on for black - but it actually has a black base and a silver top with guitar hero on. The sales assistant told me that would be a different code on the reciept :mad: and this wasn't the same ds at all.
    Of course it is, but presumably that receipt was invalid the minute i got it cos they have the wrong details on it.
    I managed to get the ds repaired this afternoon for €20 but i'm still pissed off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There must be some way of reading the serial number from the internal software and proving the DS was the one you purchased.

Just goes to show though - you shouldn't remove serial number labels from goods (life lesson for your son).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

i did ask the girl in the shop but she said not., i don't believe that tho.
    just checked my daughters ds and the sticker is missing from that too - although thats 3 years old and out of warranty any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well from working in XV I can honestly tell you we wouldn't have known by any electronic records.

I am surprised your receipt wasn't enough. It would take some serious work to manually take the serial number sticker of a PSP - dunno what the situation is like for a DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Did you get the DS in its original retail packaging? The Serial No. should be on there.

no it was second hand - sold unit and charger only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

can anyone answer me this, if the O.P. had went to www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk, registered and sent if away to get it repaired and sent a copy of the receipt (which is within the 1 year warranty since last June that nintendo ask for) would nintendo have fixed it for free or how does this work with second hand d.s's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

OP , usualy when you buy a pre owend console you only get 3-6mnths warrenty on it , if it was new its 12mnths

at the time Game in Portlaoise were offering 12 months warranty on used ds's and i asked gamestop if they would match this offer and they agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

antocann wrote: »
    OP , usualy when you buy a pre owend console you only get 3-6mnths warrenty on it , if it was new its 12mnths

You get a 3 month Guarantee from the shop

The warranty is whatever is left from the original date of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

This was a major f**k up on the part of Gamestop. First things first, the receipt haveing a Black DS on it instead of the Guitar Hero model would be because the Guitar Hero model was never an individual stock item, it was part of a bundle and therefore it's likely it wouldn't have had a second hand code on their till system (that's how it is in my workplace anyway).

As for Nintendo's repair service, they don't know new from second hand,all they want is a receipt showing a product within a year's warranty however they would still look for the Guitar Hero model on the docket.

You've basically suffered at the hands of inexperienced staff, not even so much the staff member that sold it to you, more so the staff member that didn't realise what was going on with the information on your receipt.

As for the serial number, this is the greatest design flaw ever seen in an electronic device IMO! The majority of broken DS consoles I come across, the serial has come off them, it's a joke. The only other location it can be found is on the internal workings of the machine which are of course encased in the machine which requires a specific fancy pants screw driver to get open.

• Advertisement

niallon

you've basically said everything that i thought!!!

thanks very much, feel a bit better now:)

Advertisement