Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The named roundabouts of Galway City

Options
  • 03-04-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Does anybody actually use the names? I can't remember which one is which, and would always describe them by their location. Personally I think all the signage, and the process to decide their names, was just a waste of money and time.

Your views ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Send a letter to all the councillors and to the city manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

same as you, why name them,,is there a name on the one at headford shopping centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

blond45 wrote: »
    same as you, why name them,,is there a name on the one at headford shopping centre?

I call it Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never ever refer to them by their names, it's the Magic RB, Bohermore RB, Tuam Road RB, Ballybane RB, Menlo Hotel RB and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

biko wrote: »
    I never ever refer to them by their names, it's the Magic RB, Bohermore RB, Tuam Road RB, Ballybane RB, Menlo Hotel RB and so on...

Do you see Dougal and Zebedee in the middle of it?? :pac:

The only one i ever remember is the Morris Roundabout,cos it's near where i work. And my bosses name. Even at that,i don't call it by it's name if i'm giving directions or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

blond45 wrote: »

I think there is, but don't ask me what it is.

Lads, are we united ? Lets get the pitchforks ready and march on City Hall !
    Enough is enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I think there is, but don't ask me what it is.

Lads, are we united ? Lets get the pitchforks ready and march on City Hall !
    Enough is enough !

It's the Bodkin Roundabout.
    Here's a full list of them(not that you'll ever hear them being used day to day!)
    Roundabouts in Galway
    Tribe
    Roads radiating from roundabout
    Martin
    Eastern Approach Road (N6), Dublin Road, [Galway Clinic]
    Lynch
    Eastern Approach Road (N6), Monivea Road [Briarhill]
    Morris
    Eastern Approach Roundabout, Bóthar na dTreabh, Ballybane Road, [Ballybane]
    Font
    Bóthar na dTreabh, Tuam Road (N17)
    Kirwan
    Bóthar na dTreabh, Headford Road, Sandy Road
    Bodkin
    Quincentennial Bridge, Headford Road, Sean Mulvoy Road, [Galway Shopping Centre]
    Browne
    Seamus Quirke Road, Thomas Hynes Road, Bóthar na dTreabh, University College Hospital Back Entrance
    Deane
    Bishop O'Donnell Road, Western Distributor Road
    Athy
    Western Distributor Road, Clybaun Road
    Blake
    Western Distributor Road, Ballymoneen Road
    D'Arcy
    Lower Salthill Road, Upper Salthill Road, [Salthill town centre]
    Joyce
    Bohermore, Sean Mulvoy Road, Tuam Road, Moneenageisha Road [Cemetry Cross]
    Ffrench
    Moneenageisha Road, Monivea Road, Dublin Road, College Road, [G Hotel]
    Skerritt
    Dublin Road, Ballybane Road, [Galway/Mayo Institute of Technology & Corrib Great Southern Hotel]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Does anybody actually use the names? I can't remember which one is which, and would always describe them by their location. Personally I think all the signage, and the process to decide their names, was just a waste of money and time.

Your views ?
    I think it's a waste of resources. In my experience most natives (myself included) would refer to them as e.g. the cemetary cross roundabout, the Galway Clinic roundabout or the (now departed) Huntsman roundabout rather than the new designated names.

With that said of course, people can be awkward about adopting the correct names for things. For example I still hear the Quincentennial Bridge referred to as the New bridge despite the fact it's been there since the mid eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 walshkvn

yep another complete waste of time and money by the city councilers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The Browne Roundabout? Oh, you mean "The roundabout where John fell over and broke his tailbone after skullin' the crate of Corona".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

And just why didn't someone start this thread before last tuesday's table quiz at Lohans? would have helped...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

alwaysadub wrote: »
    It's the Bodkin Roundabout.
    Here's a full list of them(not that you'll ever hear them being used day to day!)
    Roundabouts in Galway
    Tribe
    Roads radiating from roundabout
    Martin
    Eastern Approach Road (N6), Dublin Road, [Galway Clinic]
    Lynch
    Eastern Approach Road (N6), Monivea Road [Briarhill]
    Morris
    Eastern Approach Roundabout, Bóthar na dTreabh, Ballybane Road, [Ballybane]
    Font
    Bóthar na dTreabh, Tuam Road (N17)
    Kirwan
    Bóthar na dTreabh, Headford Road, Sandy Road
    Bodkin
    Quincentennial Bridge, Headford Road, Sean Mulvoy Road, [Galway Shopping Centre]
    Browne
    Seamus Quirke Road, Thomas Hynes Road, Bóthar na dTreabh, University College Hospital Back Entrance
    Deane
    Bishop O'Donnell Road, Western Distributor Road
    Athy
    Western Distributor Road, Clybaun Road
    Blake
    Western Distributor Road, Ballymoneen Road
    D'Arcy
    Lower Salthill Road, Upper Salthill Road, [Salthill town centre]
    Joyce
    Ffrench
    Moneenageisha Road, Monivea Road, Dublin Road, College Road, [G Hotel]
    Skerritt
    Dublin Road, Ballybane Road, [Galway/Mayo Institute of Technology & Corrib Great Southern Hotel]

The Ffrench RB is no more... The (Mk II version) new junction seems to be working well now..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

At least they have names ... there's roads around that don't have 'em.

I started putting RAB names (official and colloquial) into bus-route text descriptions, just in case anyone google'd them, but (relatively speaking) they're not popular terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Joyce

Bet more people know it as Suicide Cross than Joyce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I did try to memorise the names, but it's just more intuitive and logical to remember them by location. It was a cute but pointless exercise.

The only one I can always remember is the Athy roundabout, outside the Clybaun Hotel, because I have relatives living in Athy, Co. Kildare and I wonder what'd happen if they get drunk some night when they visit and see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I know someone who was involved in a car crash at a roundabout with which they shared the same surname.

He didn't appreciate the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

I always refer to them by location as well. I can't remember the 'tribe' names. Interesting that the newest one at the start of the N/M 6 is named by location i.e Coolough (Cool Each). (Not sure about spelling)
    So maybe the council are listening or else they ran out of 'tribes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

All roundabouts and junctions on the the N18/R446/N6/R338 should be numbered and the route named as "Northern Ring Road".

Never mind that shite about "Bothar Na dTreabh/Road of the Tribes" and all the tribal names on the rounabouts. I have nothing against the history of Galway but it's highly stupid to use tribal names for roundabouts and major cross-city routes.

Advertisement