Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl 5L Engine Oil for 14.99

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AFAIK the oil will pass many of the basic manufacturer specifications and whilst some will use it without hesitation others wouldn't even use it in a car they are bringing to the scrapyard.
    Your call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think that is an ACEA A2 oil, will say so on the bottle. That means it is not suitable for extended drain intervals and in general it probably doesn't meet standards required for most new cars. But for many older cars with 5-6k mile service intervals and where 15w40 viscosity oil is allowed, it is fine.

Anyway it will be cheaper and just as good as a 15w40, ACEA A2 oil from a brand name like Duckhams, Castrol etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Yeah, I am bit sceptical over its use alright.

I do like to look after my car as well, but it's still a good 10 quid cheaper than Halford's own brand oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a thread about the synthetic one here.
    This one should be grand in older cars where you don't need "special oil", just anything will do. I'm getting some for the GFs car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 walshkvn

I think I'll use it ... car is burning oil at the moment so it will get me over a hump until I get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get the synthetic for €5 per litre. See this thread. :D

Edit: Same link as above.

Not your ornery onager

Just picked some of it up there at the price above. Tomorrow I might take a trip up to Halfords (if they're open) and pick up an oil filter.

By the way folks; don't worry, the car isn't anything special.;)

Halfords have special offers on their own brand stuff and on the premium brands every so often (quite regualarly actually). I got 5L of 15w40 semi syn for €17, 5L of Mobil S semi syn 10w40 for €23 and Halfords own semi syn 10w40 for less than €20 since Christmas. The Lidl stuff isn't that cheap in comparison, except for the fully syn stuff.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Halfords have special offers on their own brand stuff and on the premium brands every so often (quite regualarly actually). I got 5L of 15w40 semi syn for €17, 5L of Mobil S semi syn 10w40 for €23 and Halfords own semi syn 10w40 for less than €20 since Christmas. The Lidl stuff isn't that cheap in comparison, except for the fully syn stuff.

I checked their website there and the cheapest they had was their own brand part synthetic at 24.99 with a free screw driver set.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I checked their website there and the cheapest they had was their own brand part synthetic at 24.99 with a free screw driver set.

mmmm, that's weird, just had a peak myself......

10w40 semi syn €22.99 for 5L with the free screw drivers

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_181413_langId_-1_categoryId_212419cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-07-MAR10-OILS-M-1-_-PRODCAT_ESPOTMAIN_212558-_-07-MAR10-OILS-M-1

Their 15w40 part sys is not reduced at the mo and is €21.99 but the screw driver set is free with it

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_158549_categoryId_212419_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PDPZ1

To be honest I buy there stuff when it's reduced, I know I'll use it as I service mine, my Dad's and my sisters car, I usually change my own car quite often so I find stocking up with a gallon or so when it's reduced does save a few quid over the year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just picked some of it up there at the price above. Tomorrow I might take a trip up to Halfords (if they're open) and pick up an oil filter.

By the way folks; don't worry, the car isn't anything special.;)

What car is it, VolvoMan? I would have thought that most cars made in the last 10-15 years would need at least 10W40 semi-synth?

It should be fine for an old banger though :D

unkel wrote: »
    What car is it, VolvoMan? I would have thought that most cars made in the last 10-15 years would need at least 10W40 semi-synth?

It should be fine for an old banger though :D

It's a Mk1 Toyota Yaris with the 1.0 litre VVTi engine that I'm running at the moment, so I presume it's simple enough mechanically. It's plainly used as a runabout so I don't want to spend too much maintaining it.

What are people's thoughts on spurious oil filters by the way?:D

I wouldn't worry about a spurious oil filter and I'd have thought the Yaris (modern enough 16v engine, is it?) could have done with semi-synth, but if you have no service history with it, surely good old mineral oil will be fine.

Is 15w40 the right viscosity for a 1.0 Yaris? I would have thought that a thinner oil was needed, in which case you might need to use the semi synth or synth oil from LIDL.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Is 15w40 the right viscosity for a 1.0 Yaris? I would have thought that a thinner oil was needed, in which case you might need to use the semi synth or synth oil from LIDL.

I've already bought the thicker stuff, but they're selling part synthetic as well. Would it make sense to bring it back and exchange it?

I did a quick google and it said that a Yaris needs 5w30 oil and I think some other thin oils like 0w20 were mentioned. I would not use a 15w40 mineral or even a 10w40 part synthetic oil that case. Have a look for oil specs on http://www.yarisclubuk.com/ and decide for yourself.

Careful though. What a car needs from the original specs is not always what is best to give it now many years later with an unknown history :)

There's no point putting in fully synth if the previous feeds were mineral, is there?

I did a quick google and it said that a Yaris needs 5w30 oil and I think some other thin oils like 0w20 were mentioned. I would not use a 15w40 mineral or even a 10w40 part synthetic oil that case. Have a look for oil specs on http://www.yarisclubuk.com/ and decide for yourself.

Cheers, BrianD3. I'm a bit of novice to DIY car servicing as you can tell and am not overly familiar with the viscosity grades.

So it's a definite no-no then, you reckon?

Careful though. What a car needs from the original specs is not always what is best to give it now many years later with an unknown history :)

There's no point putting in fully synth if the previous feeds were mineral, is there?

The car has been used as a workhorse for all its life and was rarely serviced on the dot, explaining why it had a brand new engine put in about two years ago.

• Advertisement

it had a brand new engine put in about two years ago.

And what history of oil changes (if any) is there since the new engine was put in?

If there has been no oil change, you'd better stick to the fully sync stuff and do it now!

Cheers, BrianD3. I'm a bit of novice to DIY car servicing as you can tell and am not overly familiar with the viscosity grades.

So it's a definite no-no then, you reckon?
    Based on the little I've read I'd say the 15w40 mineral would be a no-no but the 10w40 semi synth might be OK. Here is a link where they talk about oil but it's not all that helpful
    http://www.yarisclubuk.com/forum/index.php?/topic/594-engine-oil/page__hl__10w40__fromsearch__1

And what history of oil changes (if any) is there since the new engine was put in?

If there has been no oil change, you'd better stick to the fully sync stuff and do it now!

The car has only been in my ownership for about six months, so it's had no oil changes under my watch yet.
    Based on the little I've read I'd say the 15w40 mineral would be a no-no but the 10w40 semi synth might be OK. Here is a link where they talk about oil but it's not all that helpful
    http://www.yarisclubuk.com/forum/index.php?/topic/594-engine-oil/page__hl__10w40__fromsearch__1

Cheers for that Brian, you've been a fantastic help.

as the folks have said the 15 40 isnt the job for a yaris at all, the starlet that came before it would have needed a better oil, the only modern ish car i'd throw 15 40 into is the 1.3 ka, the 15 40 wont provide sufficient protection at start up for the yaris, even the semi syn variety of it. Castrol have an oil guide on their site as do halfords, the halfords one contains some debatable recommendations though

the only modern ish car i'd throw 15 40 into is the 1.3 ka

LOL, modern as you say in car, not engine. The 1.3 Ford engine is originally from the 50s iirc. We had one for a few years in mrs unkels Fiesta. Nought wrong with it - very reliable and no worries about timing belts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

fishy was involved with a motorsport outfit a few years ago, we used X make major oil brand. We got a sponsorship deal with Y make major oil brand, rebuilds due to wear went off the radar completely. The three weekly rebuild never happened again. I was amazed.

Lesson I learned: stick to what the manufacturer recommends. Its one thing claiming to meet the standard, its another being recommended by the manufacturer.

Cheers.

LOL, modern as you say in car, not engine. The 1.3 Ford engine is originally from the 50s iirc. We had one for a few years in mrs unkels Fiesta. Nought wrong with it - very reliable and no worries about timing belts.
    yeah the engine is an ancient ole yoke, the 1.25 is a different story though

as the folks have said the 15 40 isnt the job for a yaris at all, the starlet that came before it would have needed a better oil, the only modern ish car i'd throw 15 40 into is the 1.3 ka, the 15 40 wont provide sufficient protection at start up for the yaris, even the semi syn variety of it. Castrol have an oil guide on their site as do halfords, the halfords one contains some debatable recommendations though

The ole curiosity got the better of me so I did a small bit of internetting...

Brian was bang on with the 5w30 according to the dudes at castrol, it's the only recommendation, now quite often they list perhaps two different viscosity oils for a car so when only one is recommended I would imagine it is crucial to stick to it
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

No harm checking the Halfords recommendation
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EngineOilGuidedSalesCmd?action=findEngineOils&vrn=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&categoryId=165581&langId=-1&engineInd=1&makeName=44&modelName=4424&dvlaYear=39&subset=4424120&amountRequired=fullService&x=66&y=10

looks like 5w30 is the only option for the 1.0 Yaris you have, it's not cheap unfortunately but the one you initially linked to for €24.99 is correct I think. Free set of screw drivers too, I actually got that set some years ago with a gallon of oil, they are quite good to be honest.

Apologies, you will have to enter the details into the Castrol search function I linked to.

When I worked in a motor factors plenty of main dealers bought them off us for servicing other brands. Some main dealers bought them off us for their own brands too at times :eek: In fairness though quite often they were OE filters like Mann etc. Stay away from the utra cheap unheard of brands on ebay and you will be fine. Coopers, Mann etc are all grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It's a Mk1 Toyota Yaris with the 1.0 litre VVTi engine that I'm running at the moment, so I presume it's simple enough mechanically. It's plainly used as a runabout so I don't want to spend too much maintaining it.

I wouldn't be worried about spurious filters (genuine ones will only be about €2 dearer), but I'd only use 10W/40 or 5W/30 semi synthetic in those engines if it was mine.

While we're on the subject of oil, I bought 20l of Motorcraft (Ford) 5W/30 fully synthetic oil for about €80!

Advertisement