Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This makes our petrol look cheap...

• 03-04-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

The price of petrol in Holland at the moment, its since gone up 3-4c.

99df4ff0.jpg

That's how much it costs one of the lads to fill his E38 735i. Serious stuff, its only a matter of time before we get close to that, cos it sure as hell isn't gonna come down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How much is his motor tax,insurance and vrt in holland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tuxy wrote: »

VRT is higher anyway. (on average I mean, not sure about this individual case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tuxy wrote: »

i double that, how much is it? Here for this beuty you will pay 1.6k eu per year only for a little piece of paper...

efb wrote: »
    Someone's gonna trot out the old 'no road tax' its 'motor tax' line...

Well how much is car Assurance so? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Motor tax for the 735i mentioned above is €2500 a year in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Motor tax for the 735i mentioned above is €2500 a year in Holland.

i am happy i am not in holland, but sad i am not in uk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Water rates, Council Tax, Fuel Prices(Going up 4p soon) and other reasons.

No Tayto, no proper sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

AFAIR the max road tax in the new system is about 2K, thats with emissions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The owner is telling you porky pies, OP. Motor tax depends on the province, the most expensive province is Zuid-Holland en for a petrol car weight between 1751 and 1850KG (that's an 735 E38 - I owned one) it is €1160. The cheaper provinces would be around a grand. Linky - check it out for yourself

Also petrol at the moment might be 1.60 per litre (depends a lot on where you buy BTW), but it is 1.30 here, so that's 23% more expensive than here. The difference used to be way bigger than that.

Insurance would on average be about half what it is here. Maintenance and parts are a lot cheaper in the Netherlands. Yearly NCT is free with a service in your local garage.

VRT is roughly similar to here, although I haven't yet compared the newer systems here and there based on CO2

Wasn't him that told me, I went to the dutch motor tax calculator and tried to work it out in dutch! I thought the numbers were cc of engine size, not kg. There you go, my bad.

By my calculations, he pays €500 more a year in tax and petrol than I do, but as you say his insurance is cheaper, so its about the same probably.

Also, going by him, BMW charges about the same over there as they do here for parts and labour.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Yearly NCT is free with a service in your local garage.

And a fix of whatever they find "broken" no doubt .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was in Belgium recently and noticed petrol was 1.48 per litre while diesel was 1.18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

moral of the story is: coffee shops > cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Berty wrote: »
    Water rates, Council Tax, Fuel Prices(Going up 4p soon) and other reasons.

No Tayto, no proper sausages.

So true :) You can get Richmond's Irish recipe sausages in most places now but No Kimberley, Mikado and coconut creams, except in a few select places :( Council tax and water rates suck but not as much as not having tayto and having higher fuel prices :)

By my calculations, he pays €500 more a year in tax and petrol than I do

You don't have the full picture. First off tax is about €500 cheaper for a 735 there compared to here (not really fair to compare your 728 with a 735 over there, is it?)

Secondly, many gaz guzzlers in the Netherlands have an LPG conversion. And then you don't pay 1.60 for your fuel but just 0.40. Yes you read it right!!! Now that is starting to make our petrol not too cheap now, is it? :D

Mate had his Alfa GTV 3.0l V6 converted and it paid for itself within a year. That said, motor tax is higher after the LPG conversion.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    But then you have to tell people you have had your lovely V6 Alfa converted to run on LPG:)

Ah the old prejudice :)

These days there isn't much shame in admitting your chariot has lost about 5-10% in power whilst using 10-15% more fuel. At a quarter of the petrol price, the heavy LPG user is one helluva winner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    But then you have to tell people you have had your lovely V6 Alfa converted to run on LPG:)

er, why ? :confused:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Was in Holland recently and noticed that there are stations that have no shop etc. and you put your Credit Card into the pump before pumping, with your card then being charged for whatever you put in, similar to the states. These stations were about 10c cheaper per litre than normal stations

galwaytt wrote: »
    er, why ? :confused:

Well the sight of a massive LPG tank in the boot of my 928 taking away the huge storage space (better than a luxobarge, but no, not as good as in the Skoda Octavia) would leave me depressed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well the sight of a massive LPG tank in the boot of my 928 taking away the huge storage space (better than a luxobarge, but no, not as good as in the Skoda Octavia) would leave me depressed :D

....wrong answer: he asked why tell the people about the fact you're on LPG?

Like, who cares ?

Oh, and I've seen spare-wheel shaped LPG tanks now............ok, maybe not 'fold-flat' spares ;) , but I could live with a tank, mounted cleverly, in lieu of the standard tank completely, if the fuel was a 1/4 the price, per litre....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

0.40 per litre is nice alright :D

BTW the Alfa GTV with LPG tank can't even take a tiny briefcase in the trunk. You and I are spoiled with our big hatchbacks :D

@OP - I once filled up with 84 point something litres. The OBC showed there was 5 miles or so left. AFAIK the petrol tank holds 85 litres, so that's pretty consistent with my figures. How the hell did that fella draw more than 95l?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

bongi69 wrote: »
    Was in Holland recently and noticed that there are stations that have no shop etc. and you put your Credit Card into the pump before pumping, with your card then being charged for whatever you put in, similar to the states. These stations were about 10c cheaper per litre than normal stations

That's how my local ASDA petrol store operates it's petrol station, no shop, just a pump that you use your chip and pin card in. However, unlike your experience it's only 2 pence per litre cheaper than the local Shell garage and the same price as Tesco, which has a shop :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

galwaytt wrote: »
    Oh, and I've seen spare-wheel shaped LPG tanks now............ok, maybe not 'fold-flat' spares ;) , but I could live with a tank, mounted cleverly, in lieu of the standard tank completely, if the fuel was a 1/4 the price, per litre....
    Those spare wheel tanks are pretty small though, and you'll be constantly filling up if you do any kind of mileage. You also have to find somewhere else for your spare wheel, or forego that option and just carry a can of puncture repair spray.

You don't have the full picture. First off tax is about €500 cheaper for a 735 there compared to here (not really fair to compare your 728 with a 735 over there, is it?)

Secondly, many gaz guzzlers in the Netherlands have an LPG conversion. And then you don't pay 1.60 for your fuel but just 0.40. Yes you read it right!!! Now that is starting to make our petrol not too cheap now, is it? :D

Well it's hardly fair to compare LPG to petrol then either is it? ;)

Advertisement