Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custard and fishfingers.

Options
  • 03-04-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Well thats that then.
    I am still skeptical, Matt Smith has a wonky head and I hate the clothes.
    Snips to come looked intresting but hope the series won't be relying on cameos of stars and known baddies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yup, thought it was a pretty weak episode for a series opener. Villain was a nonsense to be honest and it weakened the whole story for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well thats that then.
    I am still skeptical, Matt Smith has a wonky head and I hate the clothes.
    Snips to come looked intresting but hope the series won't be relying on cameos of stars and known baddies.
    +1, my heart sunk a little when I saw that guy (Chris Moyles?) coming up later in the series.

But at the same time it's unfair to judge a new Doctor by their first episode. Remember "Rose"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm also holding out my judgement, new doctor was a bit overly wibbly for my liking, but then again he was mid-regeneration. Hopefully he'll get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well at least it has actual time travel in it, even if it was wonky along with the rest of the episode and the raggy Dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

For a season opener, I actually think that was the strongest in the 'new' DW.

Far better than rose or that one with the hospital on the moon anyway. It will get better as this series goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

Just watching Confidential now, thought it was great (laughed like three or four times.) the style and tone seems differnet then the RTD/Tennant years which I think is a good idea. Really looking forward to the rest of the run.

Did Amy's character remind anyone else of a combination between Elliot from Scrubs and Donna?

Also, lol at the kissogram line :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Raphael wrote: »
    new doctor was a bit overly wibbly for my liking,
    Ahh here now! :)

He wasnt too bad. Better than I thought he'd be TBH. It'll be interesting to see if hes got legs over time though.

The opening muzac is defo a step back IMH. Titles graphics not much better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I thought that was excellent. Perfect opening episode... introduces everyone and leaves a bit of intrigue for what is to come. I liked the new Doctor. After the success of Tennant a zany Doctor is the template but they managed to do that whilst differentiating Matt Smith and there were a few laughs/ scary bits. Plus Amelia is HAWT!

She has those great deer caught in a headlight eyes so I think she will be a good companion. There is no point having an amazing villain in the first episode because they would take away from the other characters that we are just meeting.

Shame about the new music though... Why did they change it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I really enjoyed it. The Doctor is always a bit mad after a regeneration, so I expect him to tone it down a bit. I LOL'd when he
    hit the tree
    but found the whole
    food scene
    pointless.

Is this going to be the episode discussion thread? In which case a reference to Spoilers will be needed in the title or else every post will have tags (or people giving out about other posts not having tags).

Edit: I hated the music too, especially the intro. Titles, not so much. But I really hated the spoilers at the end - it seemed way more than ever given before. I'd prefer a little mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did anyone else really dislike the flickery rewind effect when anyone was remembering? It happened when the Dotcor was remembering that someone on the green was filming something other than they sun and when Amy was remembering the fishy alien in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

iguana wrote: »
    Did anyone else really dislike the flickery rewind effect when anyone was remembering? It happened when the Dotcor was remembering that someone on the green was filming something other than they sun and when Amy was remembering the fishy alien in the room.
    They were talking about that on Confidential.
    I'm in two minds about it. On one hand it is something brand new and fresh. On the other, it is a bit CSI for my liking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For a season opener, I actually think that was the strongest in the 'new' DW.`
    Me also - the season openers have been very poor generally and this one was actually quite decent.

The plot was grand and it had a vague horror feel to it. This, coupled with Moffat's perchance for doing gothic/horror, makes me hopeful for a sort of Hinchcliffe era.

Quibble: The TARDIS flew over London with the Millennium dome very visible. However, that was 12 years ago to our present, making it 1998 - was it there then? Or is Amy from the slight future?

I quite liked Matt Smith here too - refreshing after the mugging OTT performance of DT. He started off arms akimo but, as the episode wore on, he toned it down as he became more settled in his regeneration. The food bit was a bit annoying, but not as irritating as the Master's gobbling in "Last of the Time Lords".

Music? I thought it was better than the bombastic tune we've had so far. Original series still had better mixes though.

New TARDIS? Generally like it but not sure what I think of the console itself with all the knobs and typewriter, etc.
    Also was that coatrack there before? Can't recall it - and it's very like the one from the Tom Baker era.

Season's plot about the fracture in the universe - could be interesting as long as it's not just doing what RTD does and keep having people muttering it for the whole season and claim that as clever foreshadowing.

Also can we not discuss, in any way, the spoiler bits revealed at the end of the episode? I purposely didn't watch and don't think they belong to this thread at all. Create another thread for spoilers.

ixoy wrote: »
    Quibble: The TARDIS flew over London with the Millennium dome very visible. However, that was 12 years ago to our present, making it 1998 - was it there then? Or is Amy from the slight future?

It was '96, there were another 2 years at the end.

I assumed he took off in early 2005 and as he flew through the sky he sort of "warped" out of the horizon sending him back to '96.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I'm surprised at the reactions; I really liked it. No where near as good as Steven Moffat is capable of but considering he's the new head writer introducing a new Doctor, a new TARDIS and a new companion it is really good.
    The food scene was a bit stupid. I know it was trying to illustrate the fact that he was completely 'new' in a sense but it just went on for too long. Although I did like the line 'You're Scottish, fry me something.'
    I like the chemistry betwen the Doctor and Amy as well although I do hope it goes no further than this because I've had enough Doctor/companion romance to last me a lifetime. The flickery camera thing is alright. I liked it when Amy was remembering the room but not on the green. Just bugged me really and seemed unnecessary in that scene.

The bad guys were pretty crap. Very RTD in my opinion which isn't a good thing. Still it was pulled off a lot better than RTD would have IMO. I also liked how they referenced
    River Song's description of the Doctor (whole armies would run when they saw him, opening the TARDIS with a snap of his fingers)
    but did it with some subtlety so it actually fit his character and the episode.

There was a lot of other stuff I liked but I can't really remember it all now and I don't want to clog up the forums by reciting ever litle detail so I'll leave my reaction there. One more thing though, the Doctor has accidentally
    left Amy for twelve years and then two more
    , why on Earth trust him to
    bring her back in time for her wedding?!
    (Yeah that's kind of the point that he won't but still).

One more thing though, the Doctor has accidentally

Yeah I know, neither of them seemed very bright in that scene, though I guess they were purposefully ignoring the obvious. I knew right away what was happening the next day too.

ixoy wrote: »
    Also was that coatrack there before? Can't recall it - and it's very like the one from the Tom Baker era.
    I'm pretty sure it was. Can't find a pic online but I'm sure I remember seeing it in the previous Tardis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I enjoyed the whole episode... I didn't mind the food scene at all - thought it was pretty funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

LOVED IT!!

I really liked Matt Smith, he seems to have a bit of every other doctor in his portrayal, and then his own little spin. I did giggle at the "fishfingers and custard" bit :o

I'll be honest though, I don't really like Amy Pond. I don't know, just something about her pisses me off. I'll give her a chance, maybe she'll get better as the series goes on, but I just found her a bit annoying tonight :(

The villian, meh. I thought it was too similar to the villian in the hospital on the moon episode. (fugitive alien hides out among humans, and human inhabitants (this time the entire planet instead of the entire building) are in danger until they are detected by the superior yet malevolent intergalactic powers that be)

I also liked the whole thing of everyone taking out their phones in the face of the imminent apocalypse :D

Strong start, I thought. I really like the new Doctor, the new companion might grow on me (eventually), and the new TARDIS panel is...interesting.
    Not to crazy about the opening titles though :(

Overall, 8/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I enjoyed the whole episode... I didn't mind the food scene at all - thought it was pretty funny...

I was disappointed he didn't have a cup of tea.

• Advertisement

I was waiting for some mention of pears.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Asking for jelly babies would have been much funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

+1

made me laugh, is it just me or was that ep. funnier than all previous seasons????

cant wait for next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

One more thing though, the Doctor has accidentally

Is she? I took her to be
    running away with the man she's had a thing for, or at least obession with, since childhood.

Ridley wrote: »
    Is she? I took her to be
    running away with the man she's had a thing for, or at least obession with, since childhood.

Well she said to get her back in time for the next morning. I think it's a bit of both, she does want to marry Rory (think that's his name) but she wants to have adventures with the Doctor and she can't really decide which she wants more so she's trying to have both even though she knows it own't work.

Ridley wrote: »
    Is she? I took her to be

I thought that as well. When I saw
    all the dolls and drawings
    and then the
    wedding dress
    , my first thought was
    "Oh god. Please, not another companion who is in love with the Doctor"

I didn't hear the "Back in time for tomorrow" bit though. :o

I thought that as well. When I saw
    all the dolls and drawings
    and then the
    wedding dress
    , my first thought was
    "Oh god. Please, not another companion who is in love with the Doctor"

I didn't hear the "Back in time for tomorrow" bit though. :o

She said 'Can you get me back for tomorrow morning?' and he said 'I could get you back five minutes ago, why?' and then she just said that she had stuff. I heard somewhere that
    Rory's going to spend some time in the TARDIS so I doubt she's going to end up running away for good although she will miss her wedding. What is it with the Doctor and ruining red heads weddings? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I wasn't expecting to much in the way of memorable villains in it, its his first episode so just getting people comfortable seeing him as the Doctor is the main aim. Thought they introduced Amy well into it, quiet funny and I liked the "you're Scottish, fry something" line and throwing the bread and butter away.

From the first episode and interviews and trailers, I think he'll settle in.

Liked some of the retro touches with the Tardis.

Biggest disappointment barring the new music, we wont see Amy in that uniform again! :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I enjoyed the episode a lot, and wasn't let down. I thought the acting was great, I think Matt Smith slots in perfectly as the Doctor, I like Amy so far, and I thought the episode was almost up to par with other Moffat eps. Well better than his Eccleston ep but not as great as the likes of Blink. But I digress. It was a fun opening, I liked being introduced to all the new stuff, and I'm already looking forward to next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

In hate the clothes, makes him look like a prat, but I like the assistant...she's quite foxy...and I've not felt that way about a Doctor's Assistant in some time!

Interesting, if nothing else, and a decent opener (certainly better then the opener Tennant/Tate did for SE4) and I'll be watching it next week provided nothing else gets in the way. Although it rarely does.

Nice to see some interesting guest spots from famous faces. Interesting about the wedding angle, wonder if the boyfriend is the groom, and I'd be interested to find out what exactly is going on there. Wondered what exactly was the significance if the Doctor went back to see Amy as a child after the events of the episode but before he invited her to come away....was that going to be an important meeting?

Advertisement