Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custard and fishfingers.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In hate the clothes, makes him look like a prat, !
    Ah but I quite like the costumes - it reminds me of the original series, where the costumes were a bit daft (and at least it's not a cricketing outfit or the Time Lord equivalent of Forty Coats).

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

I thought it was very good for a season premier Matt Smith looks like a good choice for the Doctor.
    Did anyone else notice when
    Amy asks why me at the end and says it's cause the Doctor's lonely, the screen has the crack on it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

I liked it. The first story is always going to be difficult because it has to set up the characters, but I think Matt will work out well.

I noticed the hat-rack too, but I think it's always been there, over the years.

As for the new Tardis, it has always been suggested that the Tardis is more than a vehicle, that it's alive, if not exactly sentient. It makes sense that it would be given the ability to regenerate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I liked it.

I always felt RTD gave the doctor who revival a sort of 90's spice girls *brit* feel I know its a bit of a weird term, but with Billie Piper and almost everything taking place in north london and many other touches it always felt like how the UK whored its entire nationality with the spice girls and austin powers.

This doesnt have that feel, the first chunk of the episode is very good I thought, I like the bit with the crack, the praying to santa and the doctor's jumble of dialogue. As someone said earlier it has that element of horror to it that could only be found on the bbc back in the 70's and 80's.

When it jumps forward its more carried by its characters then the actual plot from here which is a shame, except I think it plays out well the characters are interesting and they bounce off each other very well. And despite there being alot of running its not down long corridors with no end in sight.

Its easily better then Rose and Christmas special/New Earth, and better crafted then Smith and Jones and Partner in Crime. So as an opening it is pretty strong and as an introduction to a new doctor it does a much better job then the christmas special (which got lost for a big chunk in the middle nazal gazing) As for introducing a new doctor compared to Rose...Rose had an easier time cause it was a new doctor after such a long gap, here its running off a very successful run from david tennant, honestly the step over from tennant to smith has been very easy. I expected to hate him but I actually really like him....and Amy Pond's legs

i really liked her legs

How much is it to get one of those outfits I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I liked it.

I always felt RTD gave the doctor who revival a sort of 90's spice girls *brit* feel I know its a bit of a weird term, but with Billie Piper and almost everything taking place in north london and many other touches it always felt like how the UK whored its entire nationality with the spice girls and austin powers.

This doesnt have that feel, the first chunk of the episode is very good I thought, I like the bit with the crack, the praying to santa and the doctor's jumble of dialogue. As someone said earlier it has that element of horror to it that could only be found on the bbc back in the 70's and 80's.

When it jumps forward its more carried by its characters then the actual plot from here which is a shame, except I think it plays out well the characters are interesting and they bounce off each other very well. And despite there being alot of running its not down long corridors with no end in sight.

Its easily better then Rose and Christmas special/New Earth, and better crafted then Smith and Jones and Partner in Crime. So as an opening it is pretty strong and as an introduction to a new doctor it does a much better job then the christmas special (which got lost for a big chunk in the middle nazal gazing) As for introducing a new doctor compared to Rose...Rose had an easier time cause it was a new doctor after such a long gap, here its running off a very successful run from david tennant, honestly the step over from tennant to smith has been very easy. I expected to hate him but I actually really like him....and Amy Pond's legs

i really liked her legs

What I notice from the posts on here is that there is isn't much criticism of his age or his look, personally.

Yes, the tweed and dickie bow is a bit naff, but that IMO is a good thing. Its a hark bark to previous Doctors and he didn't look out of place with the 10 doctors.

That is promising. The big fear from when he was announced has been largely allayed. So, overall, the episode achieved its aim.

I liked Amy Ponds legs too but more the ladder on them! Ahem! Straightens tie Dickie Bow!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    ....and Amy Pond's legs

i really liked her legs

I know... swoon:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

K-9 wrote: »
    What I notice from the posts on here is that there is isn't much criticism of his age or his look, personally.

I have been calling him FrankenEmoFetus Dr from when I first saw him.
    I am waiting to see if the has the depth and reach the role can require or
    is that going to be smoothed out for him by the writing team.

And I still think that is face looks like someone tacked on a heap of prosthetic skin over it. I keep looking for the seams and wanting to pull the mask off to see his real face.

There is fúck all he can do about his looks and age, maybe he will act well enough or be posisitoned well enough in the series that his age and looks are no longer such a distraction, I wait to see what happens.
    Yes, the tweed and dickie bow is a bit naff, but that IMO is a good thing. Its a hark bark to previous Doctors and he didn't look out of place with the 10 doctors.

True but I hope they do something with his hair.
    That is promising. The big fear from when he was announced has been largely allayed. So, overall, the episode achieved its aim.

Glad you feel that way, unfortunately it didn't do that for me.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I have been calling him FrankenEmoFetus Dr from when I first saw him.
    I am waiting to see if the has the depth and reach the role can require or
    is that going to be smoothed out for him by the writing team.

And I still think that is face looks like someone tacked on a heap of prosthetic skin over it. I keep looking for the seams and wanting to pull the mask off to see his real face.

There is fúck all he can do about his looks and age, maybe he will act well enough or be posisitoned well enough in the series that his age and looks are no longer such a distraction, I wait to see what happens.

True but I hope they do something with his hair.

Glad you feel that way, unfortunately it didn't do that for me.

Overall Thaed, you seem to be in the minority, so the episode achieved its goal, I suppose its different from Tennant and Ecclestone who had Hollywood looks or names, compared to most of the previous Doctors.

He looks a bit odd, but sure so have a few Doctors!

His acting capability will be the test, a few dodgy points, but Tennant was the same at the start, he took time to grow into it. Time will tell.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

I thought that as well. When I saw
    all the dolls and drawings
    and then the
    wedding dress
    , my first thought was
    "Oh god. Please, not another companion who is in love with the Doctor"

I didn't hear the "Back in time for tomorrow" bit though. :o

Neither did I to be honest, but she does just dismiss it as "stuff" and
    she did make NURSE Rory, who I assume is the fiancé dress, as David Ten-- The Doctor.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

karengillan.png

I'm not gonna complain when the new assistant looks like this:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Am I alone in thinking that Matt Smith is actually kind of cute?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well I am male so cute not really but I certainly don't think he's the abhorrent freak alot of people are making out. He looks quirky. This is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

He's not bad. No he's nothing compared to Tennant (who is?;)) but I think he's better looking than a lot of people are making out. IMO he looks better than Eccleston,even when Eccleston was young, but I guess each to their own.

As for Amy....do we get to see more of her kissogram outfits? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

karengillan.png

I'm not gonna complain when the new assistant looks like this:D

I guess its too much to hope that this is actually a screenshot from an upcoming episode... :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1143446/Whos-girl-Matt-Smith-cross-dressing-role-helped-land-role-new-Time-Lord.html

The BBC has signed a three-year deal with Smith worth £600,000, with an option for a further two years.

I'm surprised about that. Considering he's an unknown following one of the most popular Doctors I would have though the contract would be shorter. I'm not complaining though, I think he's going to be a really good doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

thought it was an absolutely fantastic episode. matt smith really won me over and really like Karen Gillan as well! definitely aimed at a younger audience than the previous series! Hopefully Stephen Moffat will keep up this standard:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Overall Thaed, you seem to be in the minority, so the episode achieved its goal, I suppose its different from Tennant and Ecclestone who had Hollywood looks or names, compared to most of the previous Doctors.

He looks a bit odd, but sure so have a few Doctors!

His acting capability will be the test, a few dodgy points, but Tennant was the same at the start, he took time to grow into it. Time will tell.
    Exactly how I feel - it was only the relaunch that focused on a "good looking" Doctor (you can probably include the 1996 TV movie in there too and perhaps Davison). Before that the Doctor was generally older, a bit scattered, etc.
    I mean did many people have the hots for Hartnell or Pertwee?

What matters to me isn't eye candy but what they can bring to the role as an actor. It's far too early to know for sure, but I believe Matt Smith is promising from this first episode.

Watching it again now, is the hospital Rory works in the same one that Donna was in (or at least thought she was in) in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

It was lot better then Smith and Jones or Partners in Crime but you can never really judge a Doc/Companion pairing until the second or third episode.
    The food scene was a bit much I think, we get that he's a bit wibbly and only getting used to his skin.
    I'm hoping Amy isn't so wide eyed all the time with the Dr. rescuing her over and over again.

Obviously she's in love with him to some degree, I'm hoping it isn't reciprocated, that would be a bit weird.
    The wedding aspect was glaringly obvious I though as soon as she asked to be back, pity really the wedding sctick has been done before.

I am really looking forward to the series but thats a lot more to do with SM being at the helm the MS being the new Dr.
    But please please please don't let them bring Rose and her teeth back in some way.

Ginny wrote: »
    But please please please don't let them bring Rose and her teeth back in some way.

Well from what I've seen of Moffat in interviews, he refuses to bring back old characters, be them previous companions, villains or Doctors, unless there's a good story to tell with them. Which means we've probably seen the last of Rose since all the ways to bring her back, good and bad, were used up long ago. I like Rose, I do, but God she was overused.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

By Jesus she was and when she returned with the veneers it was weird.

Oh and I hate the new theme tune....:(

Well from what I've seen of Moffat in interviews, he refuses to bring back old characters, be them previous companions, villains or Doctors, unless there's a good story to tell with them. Which means we've probably seen the last of Rose since all the ways to bring her back, good and bad, were used up long ago. I like Rose, I do, but God she was overused.

It's not that he refuses, he says he needs a good reason or a good story, and at the moment he cannot think of either.

It's not that he refuses, he says he needs a good reason or a good story, and at the moment he cannot think of either.

That's what I said, he refuses to bring them back without a good story to tell. He doesn't see the point of bringing them back just to bring them back. Refuses is a bit of strong word I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tomhappens

I quite enjoyed it but even though with the series you have to leave your senses at the door, some parts of the episode just didn't do it for me. For example...the "Duck" text and then the fire engine ladder coming in the window with DW jumping off it into the room. It was almost like some parts were compacted in to fit the allotted time for the single episode.

Like quite a few characters in DW the new Doctor didn't appeal to me immediately, a little to zany but I hope he will mellow it down and grow on me :) I thought The Master was initially brutal but in the end played one of the best characters in the previous series!

Either way I have been a life long fan and will watch the series, regardless :D

And your one Pond is a hottie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't expect the dr to to be eyecandy, /shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

Watching Logopolis on Sci-Fi. Always brings a tear to the eye.

Ginny wrote: »
    I'm hoping Amy isn't so wide eyed all the time with the Dr. rescuing her over and over again.

Think that will go in the next couple of episodes, she had to be in this episode obviously. I think they wrote her introduction well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    Watching Logopolis on Sci-Fi. Always brings a tear to the eye.

Is that the one where
    Adric dies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Is that the one where
    Adric dies?

Ouch. :p

Earthshock is better anyway...

• Advertisement

That's what I said, he refuses to bring them back without a good story to tell. He doesn't see the point of bringing them back just to bring them back. Refuses is a bit of strong word I guess...

Sorry, for some reason I read that completely wrong :o

Advertisement