Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custard and fishfingers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Finally got around to watching it. I mixed up my days and missed the orignal broadcast.

I very much enjoyed it i have to say. It was a tad predictable but had a noticablly different feel which was welcome.

And I'm not normally one to drool and maybes its just a thing for red heads but Amy pond in the police uniform...... :D:D:D

Im not a fan of the new theme tune though and normally im a fan of continuity but with Dr who you have to throw that right out the window.
    I very much went Awww!! When young Amy was sitting on her little suit case. That was a rather sad but nice touch
    I did like the "Is this planet protected...." .... "Basically... Run" Sequence

I think its got potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I must say, this sounds pretty good to me :)

Do do do, dodo dodo!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I must say, this sounds pretty good to me :)
    The music on its own is quite impressive, but the volume it's played at is just too much sometimes :(

To me, it's like reading a well-written, moving & sad passage in a novel, only for someone to stand over your shoulder shouting "NOW YOU ARE SAD, YOU ARE TO BE SAD FEELING NOWWWWWWWW". Kinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

The music was a bit OTT at times but it seemed a little more toned back than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The music was a bit OTT in places but compared to the last couple of years where the score was OTT everywhere its a huge improvement. Deffo the best introduction to a new Doctor in a long time and the quality of the show just seems so much better then the the crap RTD seemed to give us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well I enjoyed it from start to finish and I haven't been able to say that about an episode of DW in a long while. A few cringeworthy moments but that didn't detract too much from an episode that came across as fresh in every sense. I love Matt Smith as the new Doctor. So far, he seems far more confident than Tennant, who took a year or so to settle into his role. Tennant came across as a conventional personality who was trying very hard to make himself come across as quirky and this manifested itself as the grating "Fantastic. Brilliant." arm waving scenes. Matt Smith seems to have a more natural quirkiness about him and that lets him focus more on creating a sense of prescence for the Doctor. I hope it continues in the same vein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I quite liked it

The baddies in the episode weren't great but as a device to introduce us to a new Doctor and new characters it served its purpose

I thought the introduction of Amy from a young child who wasn't scared of strangers because of something much scarier in her room was quite effective and the time gap in-between young Amy and now should allow for decent character development

I was surprised at liking Matt Smith too, he just looked like he would annoy me when I saw him previously but I thought he did a good job by channelling a little bit of David Tennant and then growing into himself as time went on

I also liked how there was reference made to him solving the problem without the Tardis and Sonic screwdriver

I didn't have much hopes for this series after seeing an awful advert for it recently but the episode and the view of what is to come has made me excited about it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

well as usual i watched it twice before i posted - firstly it is great to see a seven page thread on it :)

So anyway. I do not like the reworked theme tune. I thought some of the effects were a bit cheap looking (but thre are some big budget cuts this year and they were not that bad) and i dont like the cloudy vortex. The idea that the Tardis rebuilt itself stuck in my throat a bit because its not been mentioned before as far as I know but thats it cribwise.

I liked the idea that the Doctor has already abandoned Amy twice
    he will do it again in Amy's Choice ep 6
    and that therefore she will have a different sort of relationship with him. It good to get away from the heartbroken angsty stuff of the RTD era, I said before that Rose at the time of Journeys End was a fairly pathetic character as opposed to the sassy feisty one who started out in Rose. Dont believe for one second that will be Amy's fate. I like the re-set Doctor too, the way that he "got fed up talking to myself" because as an audience we need that. We have had enough of a bipolar doctor last year, this regeneration seems to be about him having - God forbid - fun. About time too!!

Of course, as its is a series opener, and a regeneration episode, it had to do a whole lot of things, so we had the references to "still cooking" and in that regard I liked the eating scene. After all he didnt eat anything in that Cafe with Wilf in The end of Time, so he must have been famished. He didnt ask for tea though, which was an obvious oversight. I liked the crack in the wall - even if it is an old Moffat idea (check out issue 397 of Doctor Who Monthly where he mentions it!!) - so is that crack
    a result of the tenth Doctor and his mates buggering with the walls of reality all the time? It was breached in every season of the RTD ear after all, and may explain how we have cybus cybermen in the series finale this year
    But if you want a classic SM story maybe this wekes one will be it, unburdened with the constriants of the series opener/regeneration story. For my two cents, it was better than Partners in Crime and Smith and Jones in that regard.

Regarding Matt Smith, DT said it was not till the middle of his first year that he felt he had nailed the character, and that included the christmass special. As far as I recall The Eleventh Hour was not in the first block of stories to be shot, but I think next week will tell more on that. I was sold when he said "I have commandeered some transport" and he was drivig a BIG RED FIRE ENGINE :D:D at that moment I was ten again watching the fourth Doctor and I couldnt help smile my happy head off.

The other great moment was MS walking through DT's face. Excellent. Oh, yeah, turning off that thing in the very cool tardis. Himmmmm.....

Now, if (hint) there was a poll, with some witty Doctorisms instrad of numbers, i would rate this as "I wonder if you could help me, you see I am a spy"

Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The one moment that I absolutely ADORED was the big montage of the previous 10 Doctors.

It really just seemed like a big middle finger to all the people who kept saying "Oh! He's too young!! No-one can follow Tennant!!".

It was basically Matt and Moffat both looking at the nay-sayers and saying "I'm the new Doctor, deal with it!!" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37 miaowmiaow

Custard and Fishfingers-I loved it completely and utterly!
    Of course at first i was sceptical, but both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan are brilliant as leads. Who cares anymore that they were relatively unknown before? They've filled a pair of the biggest shoes on television that's dominated imaginations for close to half a century!

I also wanted to remark upon the intense chemistry between the new Doctor and Amy, did anybody else pick up on that? I think it's going to be more charged than the whole Rose/DT's Doctor thing...

As for the music, I love it, it's energetic and quirky, just like Matt Smiths Doctor! It was a fantastic opening, childish yet full of appeal for me at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

The one moment that I absolutely ADORED was the big montage of the previous 10 Doctors.

Yeah gotta agree with you there. I've replayed that part several times
    And what you've got to ask is.. What happened to them?

Basically........ Run

Feels right up there with the 9th Doctors "And doesn't that scare you to death" from the end of that season when told he doesnt have a plan.

Or the 10ths line in the Library. "You're in the biggest library in the world...Look me up".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

miaowmiaow wrote: »
    I also wanted to remark upon the intense chemistry between the new Doctor and Amy, did anybody else pick up on that? I think it's going to be more charged than the whole Rose/DT's Doctor thing...
    By the Rod of Rassilon I really hope we see no romance storyline again! Let them be just companions!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Blink 2 - cant wait

thought it was great, sat down to thoroughly not enjoy it, but fraid i loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Am also thrilled it is back on the box to be honest.

Dislikes:
    Intro - maybe it will settle in - quite a change from the past - but maybe hints
    to the cracks in time
    Also dislike the text or design of the name at the end of the intro. Reminded me of something we would have seen in the Eagle mag all those eons ago.
    Tardis controls - I think nearly everything I spotted I got out in my garage - oh wait - that means I can build one too.. Cheerio chaps off I go...

Doctor is not as bad as some of those from the 80s - so far... :)
    New companion - good choice of actress and enjoying her interaction with the doc.

OK it was a bit shaky - but in terms of earlier 1st eps this was pretty awesome, roll on Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Taltos wrote: »
    Tardis controls - I think nearly everything I spotted I got out in my garage - oh wait - that means I can build one too.. Cheerio chaps off I go...

Including the prop used for the time rotor? http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Erotic-Borosilicate-Double-Plug/dp/B002DVAZ6S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1270659286&sr=1-2 :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Stark wrote: »

lol. You win an internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Stark wrote: »

that man is now in LA leave him alone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

I just wanted to add my view on the episode :rolleyes:

First off, David Tennant will always be my favourite Doctor, there's nothing that can change that.. Heck I had a poster of him up on my wall, how many 18year old girls can say that? haha

AlthoughI have to hand it to him though, Matt Smith did do well. He had the right amount of DT about him to begin with, but started to show his own personality more towards the end of the episode.

The Amy character's a bit... "meh".. But I did feel that way about Rose so maybe, just maybe, she'll grow on me.

Did anyone else find the new title sequence annoying? I guess I just didnt like the new warmer colours... But the initals DW to look like the Tardis? They should have left it as it was.

Surely I dont need to put a spoiler thing over that seeing as people are discussing the episode AFTER seeing it? Its not even in the actual episode anyways.

I'm so so tempted to try custard and fishfingers to be like The Doctor, even if it's not Tennant anymore :rolleyes:

BlueNemo wrote: »
    First off, David Tennant will always be my favourite Doctor, there's nothing that can change that.. Heck I had a poster of him up on my wall, how many 18year old girls can say that? haha

Quite a few I'd imagine. He was incredibly popular.

Fair enough, I take that back. I'd like to mention he was right above my bed and used to get first place ahead of my favourite bands, now thats a commitment to being a nerd :D.

Before I'm sued/banned for saying that, I'm in no way suggesting only nerds watch Doctor Who, I'm merely stating my love of David Tennant :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Particularly in the teenage girl demographic.

Raphael wrote: »
    Particularly in the teenage girl demographic.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Don't let Dr. Who turn all "intimidate teenage twilight girls if you think they've ruined comicon" ish :(

Most fandoms would be delighted to get an influx of teenage female fans!

Why do I get the feeling a teenage girl being a fan of Doctor Who is a problem for some people?

I'm also a Twilight Fan :D

*muahaha*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Stacey.x

Fishfingers are really bad for you! D:
    and custard is just sick. lol

Stacey.x wrote: »
    Fishfingers are really bad for you! D:
    and custard is just sick. lol

Hahaha, Stacey don't knock it til you've tried it.

By the way, does anyone know if this particular episode is repeated anywhere? I'd quite like to watch it again on tv, rather then finding it somewhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Well I'm very happy with the signed photo of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen on my wall!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I'm very happy with the signed photo of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen on my wall!
    Just curious: where do you live? I'd like you to meet my Raston Warrior robot.

BlueNemo wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling a teenage girl being a fan of Doctor Who is a problem for some people?

It's the internet, you will no doubt run into people who will hold the fact that you're not "old school" against you.

Then again, boards.ie is generally the last place you'll run into that stuff!

Is it near your casio keytar?

• Advertisement

It's the internet, you will no doubt run into people who will hold the fact that you're not "old school" against you.

Then again, boards.ie is generally the last place you'll run into that stuff!

Damn, just because I wasn't born in the right year, I'm not "old school" enough. Screw my love of the Beatles, John Hughes and vinyls.

This is getting off topic. Does anyone know for how many episodes/series Matt Smith's been commissioned for the play The Doctor?

Advertisement