Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custard and fishfingers.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Well I'm very happy with the signed photo of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen on my wall!

:eek:

How did you manage to get that one then?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BlueNemo wrote: »
    Damn, just because I wasn't born in the right year, I'm not "old school" enough. Screw my love of the Beatles, John Hughes and vinyls.

This is getting off topic. Does anyone know for how many episodes/series Matt Smith's been commissioned for the play The Doctor?

A Christmas Special and a new series have been commissioned AFAIK.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Damn, just because I wasn't born in the right year, I'm not "old school" enough. Screw my love of the Beatles, John Hughes and vinyls.

This is getting off topic. Does anyone know for how many episodes/series Matt Smith's been commissioned for the play The Doctor?

3 years with an option for 2 more!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Is it near your casio keytar?

It's right next to a gold plated Toto LP!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Christmas Special? Sure his new series has started!?!

3 years..... Ok, 3 years to have this new young dude's acting style grow on me. That might work.

Seeing as The Doctor's getting younger, do you think the next one'll be about 20 with an 18 year old girl accompanying him on his adventures?:rolleyes: Yanno, more "new school?":P

See how all you fans like it when the Doctor character you grew up with, gets younger then you ;).

Nah I joke. He'll probably take the other 2 year option anyways, his career's sorted for a while then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Christmas Special? Sure his new series has started!?!

3 years..... Ok, 3 years to have this new young dude's acting style grow on me. That might work.

Seeing as The Doctor's getting younger, do you think the next one'll be about 20 with an 18 year old girl accompanying him on his adventures?:rolleyes: Yanno, more "new school?":P

See how all you fans like it when the Doctor character you grew up with, gets younger then you ;).

Nah I joke. He'll probably take the other 2 year option anyways, his career's sorted for a while then.

Christmas Special as a prelude to the second series.

I think we can all get used to him for another 3/4 years, but that is me me being awkward compared to all the doomsayers when he was announced!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

It's the internet, you will no doubt run into people who will hold the fact that you're not "old school" against you.

Then again, boards.ie is generally the last place you'll run into that stuff!

Thanks for this. I often get this mis-assumption thrown at me because I'm a female so obviously wouldn't know anything about th e"old school" stuff and I'm just in it to ogle Tennant. Admittedly Tennant was great for ogling but its certainly not the be all and end all. Anyway, that's irrelevant! Back to fish custard!

Rewatched the episode last night to make sure I missed nothing, so here are my ramblings:

The good stuff
    *I'm really glad I didn't write off Smith at the offset. I think he played the Doctor really well. Having read several interviews with him too I do feel he's the first actor to really *be* the Doctor since Tom Baker. Now that's not making a direct comparison, but he really seems to have taken on the role in all senses, or rather, he is the role. I think he got the whole ancient and forever thing but I think we'll just see more of that in the future once he gets the 'steering' down! The costume is a bit meh but I've read that they intend to evolve it, add and remove things, as episodes go on.

*Amy Pond. She worked out really well as a character and I'm so glad she has a proper love interest who may travel with them as opposed to Mickey the idiot. (What sort of a relationship was that anyway?) She was fesity but not too over the top. And while I really don't feel the kissogram was anything more than to get the red blooded males going, I can see it was favourable to said demographic! She's beautiful alright but I can see the character will have the brains and wit to work with that!

*Music. This was a grower. Only liked it on the last few listens to it. Initially I was shouting at the telly as the intro did sound very much like someone on a whoppee cushion. But after a few goes it has grown. I like that the theme itself is more retro.

*Tardis exterior. Gorgeous. Love the St. John's ambulance sticker reappearing.

*Amelia Pond. Fantastic! Lovely little actress!

*CLOISTER BELL!!!!!!!!! I love that sound. Loved hearing that again!

The meh stuff
    *Storywise not Moffat's shining hour. But I get where he was coming from. Didn't like the alien much, looked a bit rubbish and definitely could have had his chance to devour them more than once. Liked the fact it could morph into anyone which worked well with the Doctor seeing himself for the first time. Also liked the Doctor's monologue at the end. Good dialogue.

*Tardis interior. I hope this will be a grower. Initially I liked all the random bits but on second watch it all looks a bit too zany and not spacey enough. Surely the Timelords have some better equivalent to a typewriter? Maybe not... Anyway Love the stairs but *really* want to see more Tardis please. A Castrovalva or Keeper of Traken for the modern age thank you!

The Apples (I hate apples)
    * The new titles. Definitely a step back. While the music grew on me they did not. Add on to that I miss the Doctor's theme from the music.

*The flashback sequences. I used to love that Doctor Who looked so cinematic in the past few series. This just really distracts from that. It looks shoddy. There was no need for that "I saw something, what did I see" sequence. All too much like superpowers for my liking rather than mere powers of observation.

Thinks that's all my rambling for now. Really looking forward to tomorrow and the Smilers! Some eery fairground spooks! That's what I'm talking about! And for the boys, what appears to be Amy Pond in a wet nightie... I'll say not more. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

*The flashback sequences. I used to love that Doctor Who looked so cinematic in the past few series. This just really distracts from that. It looks shoddy. There was no need for that "I saw something, what did I see" sequence. All too much like superpowers for my liking rather than mere powers of observation.

I dunno, I kinda liked this: it makes sense that he has some kind of photographic memory - given his age you'd want to - so I liked that they showed how it might work. It made those sudden decisions and revelations Tennant would do ("ooh didn't I spot the very thing needed to save the world a few hours back in another location altogether?") seem a bit more organic.
    *Tardis interior. I hope this will be a grower. Initially I liked all the random bits but on second watch it all looks a bit too zany and not spacey enough. Surely the Timelords have some better equivalent to a typewriter? Maybe not... Anyway Love the stairs but *really* want to see more Tardis please. A Castrovalva or Keeper of Traken for the modern age thank you!

Definitely agree on this, though perhaps not exactly like those two stories. I would like to be awake whilst watching the stories. Good cures for insomnia they were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Also meant to say loved

"You could get a girlfriend Jeff...."

Loved that line and racy Patrick Moore!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

*Music. This was a grower. Only liked it on the last few listens to it. Initially I was shouting at the telly as the intro did sound very much like someone on a whoppee cushion. But after a few goes it has grown. I like that the theme itself is more retro.

Music at the start was awful but I loved the music at the end when the camera is panning through Amy's room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement