Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mileage on a 5 Series

• 03-04-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you folks would consider acceptable mileage on an 04/05 BMW 5 series? Not worried about price etc, just wondering what to avoid and what would be very good value, in terms of stuff going on them, and also just over the average use, would generally be dublin reg.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Which 5 series are we talking about here? 520i? 520d? 550i:cool:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Ah, apologies :) tried to include as much info as I knew. Definitely diesel, preferably 520 but any would do! Would I be right in assuming that full SH is an absolute must?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I've 110k kms on my 2007 535d and it has absolutely no issues. I see no reason why these modern engines arent good for at least twice that - I hope so anyway

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The average mileage would be about 12k per annum.
    I would be concerned more with a verifiable service history than the displayed mileage - both of which could be false so get an independent mechanic to check any car pre-purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,545 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kbannon wrote: »
    The average mileage would be about 12k per annum.
    I would be concerned more with a verifiable service history than the displayed mileage - both of which could be false so get an independent mechanic to check any car pre-purchase.

I always hear that 12k miles is average. I dont know anyone who does that little miles. IMO the average for people living in country area is 20k miles. City drivers would be doing less for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats why its an average!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

12k is average for a petrol car, 20k to 25k miles is more like the average for a diesel car.

Anyway OP, a fully documented service history is vital on a car like this, verify with the garages where the service history was stamped what was done and at what mileage. A poorly or cheaply maintained car will end up costing you in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd generally look at maintenance rather than mileage. A car with 100k miles that's been well serviced is far better than a neglected one with 50k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Last year we had 2 x 2005 525D's back. One had just over 170K and the other around 185k on.

FSH on both (full maintenance package on the lease), but both were in bits with various warnings on the dash. Engines were still running fine and would probably do the same mileage again with no issues, but the suspension felt very sloppy. Both cars were pulling side to side under acceleration / braking, and the gearknob on one of them kept coming off in my hand!

A lot of it is probably down to how sympathetic the driver is, and I suspect neither of these drivers were especially friendly to their cars, but I was surprised at just how tired both motors were.

Advertisement