Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

passat 1.9tdi remap

• 03-04-2010 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all, am new to boards.ie. just wondering if anyone has advice on passat remap for 2007 model
    :( is it really as bad for the engine etc as im hearing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

don't know bout the engine but you will have to declare the engine has been modified failure to do so will render your insurance policy void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maccer1

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    don't know bout the engine but you will have to declare the engine has been modified failure to do so will render your insurance policy void.
    didn't think of that,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

think about tunning box that U can connect and disconnect any time U want . Cost around 500-700 euro for high quality item ( I wouldn't be looking for anything worth less than 300 euro)
    i.e.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Passat-1-9-TDI-110-Tuning-Box-Chip-Diesel-Remap_W0QQitemZ260520897405QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca8416b7d#ht_3010wt_1165

I've one myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

http://www.chippedire.com/
    This is the best guy in Ireland for mapping any VAG.
    You will get the best advice and your engine will be perfectly safe and your insurance will not be an issue as there is no evidence of anything being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

your insurance will not be an issue as there is no evidence of anything being done.

Dubious advice at best. OP, it won't cost much if anything more if you tell your insurer that you've remapped the engine. Best to tell them and not have any worries about the issue.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Dubious advice at best. OP, it won't cost much if anything more if you tell your insurer that you've remapped the engine. Best to tell them and not have any worries about the issue.

If you bought a car that had been remapped without your knowalage, how would you or the insurance company know about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If you bought a car that had been remapped without your knowalage, how would you or the insurance company know about it?

Not the point. Google 'utmost good faith'.

I am well aware of the doctrine of utmost good faith. But how can you possibly disclose something that it is not possible for you to know about?

We are getting off topic though, the question has been answered.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

you will need to replace the fly wheel/clutch after a month when u remap!

Of course thats rubbish, The flywheels do give trouble on vags and if its already got issues then having more power may well finish it off but the remap does not cause the problem.

• Advertisement

if a flywheel is designed to cope with 130bhp or whatever it has standard it will be under severe pressure coping with 170bhp+,,same goes with the clutch,

you could ruin a perfectly good fly wheel which will cost you around 1200 euro after labour

turbo's dont take much abuse to after a remap!

bmw535d wrote: »
    if a flywheel is designed to cope with 130bhp or whatever it has standard it will be under severe pressure coping with 170bhp+,,same goes with the clutch,

you could ruin a perfectly good fly wheel which will cost you around 1200 euro after labour

turbo's dont take much abuse to after a remap!

Its torque that clutches are designed to deal with..
    The flywheel is the same on all 1.9 tdi passats(for example) so if you have an lower power model and get it mapped then its still going to be operating within its limits.

This is also the reason why you go to an expert on the matter, the above lad in chippedire is renowned in the Irish vag community for his knowalage and will not map a car to any stage were it will become unreliable.

who gets a 105/115 passat remapped to 130? most are remapped to around 170-190......physics lesson-torque is the turning force of the engine-horse power is the speed at which the engine can deliver this torque.

most remaps increase bhp alot more than torque eg 30nm increase 70bhp increase.therefore you are delivering more torque alot faster via the clutch/dual mass floating fly wheel.which are notorious for splitting the plate ends that house the springs inside the flywheel housing when remapped.

if you want to remap properly take it to somewhere like torque tronics.they remap the cars original ecu to get a smooth consistent power curve,
    they also use wheel hub dyno's instead of regular tyre dyno's to eliminate tyre slippage etc. this is undetectable to insurance companies as there is no tuning box fitted and nothing physically visible.just codes changed in the cars ecu which look like this 1%1.01.1%1.011.2%1.02 etc.i doubt insurance investigators have computer programing degrees just yet and can get the codes from the likes of vag to scrutinies your car if it was in an accident given the fact that vag holds these codes as highly secretive so competitors cant use there technology

just my 2c:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I agree with you bmw. Allthought the 105 hp passat is slow i had one and was disappointed with it. I have the 2.0 170hp now happy days:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

most remaps increase bhp alot more than torque eg 30nm increase 70bhp increase.

Actually remapping a turbocharged petrol or diesel will give more torque then bhp, figures like +30bhp and +60nm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Neilw wrote: »
    Actually remapping a turbocharged petrol or diesel will give more torque then bhp, figures like +30bhp and +60nm ;)

Yeah exactly.

But this thread in general is full of so much bad info.

OP I'd recommend searching boards.ie for info on remapping. There was a good few threads on this before with accurate info.

When you do decide to go ahead with it, use Joe from chippedire.com He has done probably hundreds of these 1.9tdi engines and comes recommended by many on this forum and others. I got mine done by him too and it was perfect.

The clutch/fly wheel issue doest not arrise from remapping. It's a general wear and tear item. Once you are past 100k miles with a rempap or without, then be expecting to have them replaced quite soon.

Go onto the chippire site and see how much of an increase you will get.

I never told my insurance company and i dont know many people that have either. I've heard it makes no difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Lots of nonsense on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SARASON wrote: »
    I agree with you bmw. Allthought the 105 hp passat is slow i had one and was disappointed with it. I have the 2.0 170hp now happy days:P

You didn't happen to drive the 2.0 140hp version did you? I have a 06 one of these, and am curious if there would be THAT much of a difference between them?

Yeah exactly.

But this thread in general is full of so much bad info.

OP I'd recommend searching boards.ie for info on remapping. There was a good few threads on this before with accurate info.

When you do decide to go ahead with it, use Joe from chippedire.com He has done probably hundreds of these 1.9tdi engines and comes recommended by many on this forum and others. I got mine done by him too and it was perfect.

The clutch/fly wheel issue doest not arise from remapping. It's a general wear and tear item. Once you are past 100k miles with a remap or without, then be expecting to have them replaced quite soon.

Go onto the chippire site and see how much of an increase you will get.

I never told my insurance company and i dont know many people that have either. I've heard it makes no difference though.

I'm glad there is someone one else with informed knowledge at last.

@bmw, it is the type of tuner who remaps a 105 up to 170 odd that causes the problems. 'remapping' as a term does not cause problems, upping the power as high as it will go without knowledge of the consequences does. So again, to the OP, for the best info on whats reliable, speak to chippedire, you will NOT have problems due to the map.

Neilw wrote: »

so do you know how much 60nm of torque is compared to 30bhp?

for example a 530d has 500nm of torque and 218bhp

therefore an increase of 60nm and 30bhp is still increasing bhp more.

the measurement of torque units is alot smaller than bhp units.

not to argue with anyone.all im saying is the cars parts are made to handle x amount of load for x amount of years. altering these figures will decrease the life of the parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

who gets a 105/115 passat remapped to 130? most are remapped to around 170-190......physics lesson-torque is the turning force of the engine-horse power is the speed at which the engine can deliver this torque.

just my 2c:)

You are messing aren't you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I heard that with a simple re-map, a VAG TDI will be eligible for the BTCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

so do you know how much 60nm of torque is compared to 30bhp?

for example a 530d has 500nm of torque and 218bhp

therefore an increase of 60nm and 30bhp is still increasing bhp more.

the measurement of torque units is alot smaller than bhp units.

not to argue with anyone.all im saying is the cars parts are made to handle x amount of load for x amount of years. altering these figures will decrease the life of the parts.

You're missing my point, I was generalising and maybe taking my experience of remapping into account.
    In general turbocharged cars produce more torque then bhp, a remap increase both bhp and torque by a percentage. A higher percentage increase in torque.

I'll try and explain with my own experiance.

My car as standard was 180bhp and 177lb ft torque (240nm)
    Remap figures were 212bhp and 221 lb ft (300nm)
    180bhp to 212bhp is an 18% increase
    177 lb ft to 221 is a 25% increase

So there you go, remapping increases the torque on most turbocharged cars by a higher percentage, even more so with diesels.

As for parts made to handle a certain amount of power/torque, there are lots of cars, mine included which share the exact same components as much higher powered models.
    There is a 225bhp version of my car and it shares the same clutch/gearbox/flywheel and lots more parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I heard that with a simple re-map, a VAG TDI will be eligible for the BTCC.

Or maybe it could win LeMans...oh wait :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I gave up replying to threads about remapping on this forum due to the amount of people who also reply to them and spout rubbish and nonsense who have to experience real time or other with remapped diesel cars.

I will say 2 things.

Don't get your car remapped by a cowboy or one of these fly by night crowds who thinks because they are handy with a laptop they can do it or might have a franchise from a tuning company overseas.

Get your car remapped by Joe at chippedIRE,there is no one in the country north or south that knows the TDI engine,set up and engine management better than him,he will never map a car beyond safe parameters and he will only give honest advice.

Virtually every 1.9/2.0TDI,1.8T or 2.0TFSI i know has been mapped by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

tossy wrote: »
    Get your car remapped by Joe at chippedIRE,there is no one in the country north or south that knows the TDI engine,set up and engine management better than him,he will never map a car beyond safe parameters and he will only give honest advice.

Virtually every 1.9/2.0TDI,1.8T or 2.0TFSI i know has been mapped by him.

Indeed, I asked him about remapping my 90hp 1.9 VE TDI. I read on VAGdrivers forum that he gave someone with my engine the injectors from a 110 hp engine and then remapped it to 140. He told me that its safest to remap my current engine to 120 as any more would begin to see clutch damage unless I change it.

For my car and the other car that I mentioned, the most powerful engine that came out for it was 130. So he indeed wont do anything that exceeds the max safe power without letting you know what else needs to be done.

I think you have a PD TDI so a stock PD setup would max out at 150 (maybe 160 depending on what was used in the Seat Leon). You wont get anywhere near 150 from a standard remap with standard components from 105 and I would imagine if you do get clutch damage its just exploiting damage already caused by some bad experiences in the past.

Advertisement