Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Dropbox in UCD

Options
  • 03-04-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I have Dropbox on my laptop, but it won't connect to the my account when I am in UCD. I'm sure it is something to do with the proxy settings. Anyone get it to work? And if you did care to tell me how?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

If you you can get at the proxy settings try

proxy.ucd.ie port: 8484

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dropbox works perfectly for me on the WaveLAN network. Just enter the proxy settings in Dropbox's preferences. The only annoying thing is remembering to turn them off when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Bump on this topic, I tried using it with proxy settings proxy.ucd.ie port: 8484 and it doesnt work

Do I have to add a username password on top of that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I haven't checked today but dropbox generally works for me on wavelan provided its set to use the proxy manually (no name or password)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I currently have my Dropbox preferences set to "auto detect proxy settings". That way provided you are connected to WaveLAN via the proxy it should pick it up without you having to enter then manually. I does take a minute, however, to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

valor wrote: »
    Bump on this topic, I tried using it with proxy settings proxy.ucd.ie port: 8484 and it doesnt work

Do I have to add a username password on top of that?

Thanks
    Nope - no password on the proxy. I'm sitting in the Orts block right now and it's working (under Ubuntu Linux). I have mine set to use proxy.ucd.ie port 8585 instead of 8484, but that shouldn't matter. It can take time to get a connection, especially when the network is busy, so make the changes and wait a few minutes. It will keep trying.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

pljudge321 wrote: »
    If you you can get at the proxy settings try

proxy.ucd.ie port: 8484

Its now in health science and James Joyce too

OSI wrote: »
    And Daedalus and CASL

And Eng. \o/

It just doesnt work for me on AUto Detect Settings , I dont get it

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I haven't checked today but dropbox generally works for me on wavelan provided its set to use the proxy manually (no name or password)

This, again. I needs to be set manually.

Auto does work for me, but I'm on a Mac so it might be different on Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Auto does work for me, but I'm on a Mac so it might be different on Windows.

I can confirm Auto works under MacOS. But manual setting should work. It did before Xmas anyway.

using manual settings of proxy.ucd.ie port: 8484 It wasn't working for me earlier. I'm not there right now so cant check again. Fwiw, I'm Running it on Windows XP and using WaveLAN in Quinn
    It works fine on my home network

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I tried it the manual way, no such luck on XP over WaveLAN...

Oh well...:(

I tried earlier in ubuntu, manual working and auto not.

Auto was working fine for me earlier (on a Mac). But like ironclaw said, manual should work as well and it's what I used to use, but I grew tired of having to switch it on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baspower

mine works perfect on wavelan...mac osx....used to have manual settings but now changed to autodetect...but both should work

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

I've found that Dropbox doesn't work well (actually all of blackboard) on anything except Internet Explorer (occasionally Firefox). I keep IE installed on my computer just for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I've found that Dropbox doesn't work well (actually all of blackboard) on anything except Internet Explorer (occasionally Firefox). I keep IE installed on my computer just for this.
    The thread is talking about Dropbox, not the Blackboard dropbox submissiony thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Under snow leopard no matter the proxy settings I cant get dropbox to connect while using wavelan.

Works on eduroam perfectly.

Are people sure this works in ucd on wavelan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Does in Ubuntu Maverick, was using it earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Under snow leopard no matter the proxy settings I cant get dropbox to connect while using wavelan.

Works on eduroam perfectly.

Are people sure this works in ucd on wavelan?

Works fine for me. eduroam doesn't need proxy's and is normally a lot faster for syncing. Working with proxy.ucd.ie and 8484 as the port. Can take a little longer to sync up at the start mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ibetterheadon

Go to Dropbox preferances

Click manually enter proxy settings

Enter proxy.ucd.ie in server box and 8585 into port box

Worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Go to Dropbox preferances

Click manually enter proxy settings

Enter proxy.ucd.ie in server box and 8585 into port box

Worked for me

And we have a winner! God I could kiss you...

Advertisement