Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SA-80 cleaning kit

• 03-04-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anybody bought a cleaning kit for the SA-80(Steyr)?

If so how much did you pay for it and where did you buy it...

I don't want to overbid on ebay if I could get it cheaper elsewhere...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

How much are they looking for on eBay? Instead of buying a kit you could you find a bog standard .22/.223 pull through c/w bristle brush and flannelette holder and add in a small bottle and half a toothbrush (the top half obviously :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

at the moment it'll be 32 with postage aswell. I was thinking of that but to buy the flanellete and pull through online it would nearly cost the same as I havent found a seller that sells both so id be paying a tenner twice for deliveries...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Just wondering has anybody bought a cleaning kit for the SA-80(Steyr)?

Although I am confused by your use of SA-80 and Steyr, Otis is generally well regarded for cleaning kits.

That said, I go 'independent'. You can't go wrong with a boresnake to clean the barrel, I'm sure you can mail order it somewhere. Personally, I have a small-ish tupperware box which is my 'gun kit' that contains my CLP, cleaning patches, boresnake, laser boresighter, hex-keys, wrench, Hoppes #9 pads, spare batteries for the optics/lasers, brass 'toothbrush' and plastic 'toothbrush'.

NTM

lol the reason I need the kit is becuase in the baggers were told to clean that rifle, but yet nobody has any cleaning kit.

My god that is some cleaning kit you have :P...

Found one that is 30 quid with what looks to be everything I need...

1 x tool roll

1x bore brush

1 x soft brush

1 x combination tool

1 x loop cleaning tool,

1 x pull through

1 x barrel brush

1 x oil bottle

1 x gas block brush

1 x 3 piece cleaning rod

foam sponges

flanelette

I'd recommend going into a hunting store and getting a .22 or .223 bog standard pull through instead of spending 30 quid on something that should be provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

lol the reason I need the kit is becuase in the baggers were told to clean that rifle, but yet nobody has any cleaning kit.

Has anybody asked the Q?

They should most definitely have a few pull-throughs, a rake of flannette and now (finally after stupid long of WD40) CLP. If you are lucky the Pull-throughs might still have all the parts to it!

Nobody has cleaning kit? I call bull on that, there are definitely a few in there who have full cleaning kits, probably some with the original ones that came with the steyr, that they "acquired" before someone else would. Which personally, I don't see a fcuking point in doing, and annoys the hell out of me because that just means noone gets to use it ever since these magpies tend to forget the kits!

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Best cleaning instrument I have used is a pullthrough. You can make them easy enough but the ones you buy will be better. Small, light and very effective. I suggest you look into this before buying a big awkward kit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭thermo

http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/accessories/aug-accessories/aug-cleaning-kit.html
    That's what you should get issued - nothing fancy, just pullthrough, flannelette holder (sometimes called eyelet), bristle brush, wire brush and oil bottle. Your unit definitely has these knocking about - if the Q wants the rifles cleaned, he'll have to provide you with the material to do so. I'd reccommend getting/acquiring your own if you're going on a PNCO course however.

Ive sourced a few things and i'm getting them for a fairly decent price.

Got a cleaning kit, a new set of peltars & a pair of combat boots so I dont have to keep cleaning the damn magnums all the time. Got em all for only 90 pound including delivery.

• Advertisement

Ive sourced a few things and i'm getting them for a fairly decent price.

Got a cleaning kit, a new set of peltars & a pair of combat boots so I dont have to keep cleaning the damn magnums all the time. Got em all for only 90 pound including delivery.

If you paid for the boots yourself, please tell me you at least got yourself a waterproof pair with good ankle support?

Peltors are ALWAYS issued? So unless you bought active one's why buy any?

The problem with waterproof boots is that once you go into something deeper than the boot you may as well be wearing wellies as it's not going to come out again.

concussion wrote: »
    The problem with waterproof boots is that once you go into something deeper than the boot you may as well be wearing wellies as it's not going to come out again.

I have Haix:D They go high up as it is, and then I have Goretex Boot liners inside, and I am meaning to get some Gaitors. (Can't remember if that is the name TBH!

My feet have never gotten wet in Haix!

In general you'll be alright but gaiters won't keep the water out on a river crossing!

concussion wrote: »
    In general you'll be alright but gaiters won't keep the water out on a river crossing!

True enough! :(

The boots look to have fairly decent ankle support. But they didnt cost all that much so if they didnt it wouldn't bother me too much. In terms of peltars we dont get issued em. Sure on my arp this year I had to borrow the peltars from someone on security :P, but they are active one's.

If I were you I would be questioning why mandatory PPE was not available during ARP's. I don't want to be constantly negative here - boots are a good purchase but you should NOT be buying peltors or cleaning kits becuase your unit won't (not can't) issue them.

You HAVE to be issued Peltors. No ifs or buts.

I wasn't and nobody else in my platoon was, there was only like 9 of us. But all others had them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

In terms of peltars we dont get issued em. Sure on my arp this year I had to borrow the peltars from someone on security :P, but they are active one's.
    You are fcuking joking right?
    I wasn't and nobody else in my platoon was, there was only like 9 of us. But all others had them.
    As I said earlier...You are fcuking joking right?

Disgraceful :mad:

I would be asking my immediate superior why and requesting a decent answer. If you can't get an explanation or feel that asking would lead to repercussions then speak to your Coy's RDFRA representative about it. TC 20/96 - Care of Hearing During Field Training covers the use of hearing protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I cant believe that!!!

No hope of our crowd getting passed the gates at the range with at least a set of peltors,never mind down to shoot!

That is a fcuking joke,start demanding answers right away.

I just borrowed from the people the weren't shooting, I don't think they would have actually let us shoot with no protection, its just literally before I was supposed to shoot I still didn't have any. Had to start asking round pronto and eventually got them off one of the lads on security.

I just borrowed from the people the weren't shooting, I don't think they would have actually let us shoot with no protection, its just literally before I was supposed to shoot I still didn't have any. Had to start asking round pronto and eventually got them off one of the lads on security.

In future ask about hem BEFORE ye go to the ranges!!!

Advertisement