Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from Galway city to Oranmore

Options
  • 03-04-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi folks

Is there a bus service apart from Bus Eireann that goes from the city to Oranmore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Sometimes City Link will stop there... But I think it's just Bus Eireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cleeo wrote: »
    Sometimes City Link will stop there... But I think it's just Bus Eireann!

All the Citylink "multistop" service stops at Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Galway - Dublin and Galway - Cork/Limerick Bus Eireann intercity buses will bring you to Orammore.

There are also some Bus Eireann "shuttle" services from Galway to Oranmore, but Bus Eireann seems to be determined to keep the times of these secret in case anyone might try use them !

City Link Buses to Dublin/Limerick/Cork will do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sabatier

Trevord wrote: »
    Galway - Dublin and Galway - Cork/Limerick Bus Eireann intercity buses will bring you to Orammore.

There are also some Bus Eireann "shuttle" services from Galway to Oranmore, but Bus Eireann seems to be determined to keep the times of these secret in case anyone might try use them !

City Link Buses to Dublin/Limerick/Cork will do also.

Mighty! But I was just looking at the prices for Citylink. €4 for a bloody single trip! That's a complete rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

You think that's steep try a taxi or cab...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

spender.j wrote: »
    You think that's steep try a taxi or cab...:eek:

So true. I have friends who live beyond Oranmore and what they pay for a cab is ridiculous. It's €12 from oranmore village alone to their house; and from town it's well over €30:eek:

Bananas really tbh.

Where I am from originally the local hackney had a 32 seater minibus which ran a service in and out of town on a Friday and Saturday night. There are two late buses. It would be a distance equivalent to Clarinbridge and he would drop everybody to the nearest spot on the main road closest their house(he used to drive a ring route encompassing 2villages). It'd be a bit like driving the coast road to Oranmore and then going to Clarinbridge via Maree and back along the main road.

Lots of other villages had similar services. They all work well and are always busy. But this doesn't seem to happen around Galway much at all. Surely Oranmore/Clarinbridge is crying out for a service like this:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Sometimes private buses from Healy's and O'Donguhss of (or something like that) coming from Athenry, Kilcolgen pass through Oranmore and will pick up people, cost my about €2 single to GMIT

But €4 is still allot for a 10mins journey I know BE increased it's price on short hope in some intercity route's like Oranmore-Galway up by 20c where things should be getting cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

If I was living in Oranmore and I was out for the night then I would make sure to hop on the CityLink service to Shannon at 3.30 instead of getting a taxi. Lots of people do it! I know someone from Shannon who often comes up for a night out and gets that bus home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sometimes private buses from Healy's and O'Donguhss of (or something like that) coming from Athenry, Kilcolgen pass through Oranmore and will pick up people, cost my about €2 single to GMIT

Looks like Healys have some official stops in Oranmore: http://www.healytours.ie/ss_loughrea.html - glad to hear they do have cheaper prices for people just doing Galway-Oranmore.

Would love to hear more about "O'Donguhss" - I'm not sure who that company is, and would like to list it.

Farrells have a night-bus to/from Athenry - not sure what intermediate stops it has. I have a vague memory that the Advertiser said something about Oranmore ... can't find it on their site though.

Last year's bus-licensing file said that City Direct hold a licence for an Oranmore service. But I don't think they've ever actually run it (although a printed timetable that they had out did list it).

Funnily enough, just last night I was having a conversation about how a night-bus that ran down Doughiska Rd would make a killing ... 'twould do even better it it went right to Oranmore I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Butlerowski

[-0-] wrote: »
    If I was living in Oranmore and I was out for the night then I would make sure to hop on the CityLink service to Shannon at 3.30 instead of getting a taxi. Lots of people do it! I know someone from Shannon who often comes up for a night out and gets that bus home. :)

Citylink have cancelled all Shannon services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Butlerowski

JustMary wrote: »
    Looks like Healys have some official stops in Oranmore: http://www.healytours.ie/ss_loughrea.html - glad to hear they do have cheaper prices for people just doing Galway-Oranmore.

Would love to hear more about "O'Donguhss" - I'm not sure who that company is, and would like to list it.

Farrells have a night-bus to/from Athenry - not sure what intermediate stops it has. I have a vague memory that the Advertiser said something about Oranmore ... can't find it on their site though.

Last year's bus-licensing file said that City Direct hold a licence for an Oranmore service. But I don't think they've ever actually run it (although a printed timetable that they had out did list it).

Funnily enough, just last night I was having a conversation about how a night-bus that ran down Doughiska Rd would make a killing ... 'twould do even better it it went right to Oranmore I'm sure.

CityDirect started an Oranmore service, put up a bus stop, ran it for 1 week, then quit without advertising, proper planning or seeing where the market is weakest.

Farrells night services do not stop in Oranmore, they go via the M6, though during the day most drivers will oblige and drop you off at the roundabout(but I think only 1 or 2 buses go out the N6 now)

Citylink's Dublin Airport services at 0115 and 0215 will drop you out, providing all the airport passengers have been accommodated or they are not booked to capacity.

Oran cabs will drop you for €15 Galway to Oranmore or €20 to Clarinbridge, so it's worth it if a few people people.

There are also proposals for a new service, though yet vague as only at the meetings stage, and where are these meetings?

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15050-public-meetings-discuss-new-bus-service-oranmore-and-clarinbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are also proposals for a new service, though yet vague as only at the meetings stage, and where are these meetings?

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15050-public-meetings-discuss-new-bus-service-oranmore-and-clarinbridge

Thansk for that Butlerowski, useful info.

Thanks to Google alerts + Portumna.net, I believe that the meetings are:
    • Oranmore, Monday, 20th September in the Old St. Mary's Church (The Library) at 8.30 p.m.
    • Maree, Tuesday, 21st September, Community Centre at 8.30 p.m.
    • Wednesday, 22nd Clarinbridge in Suaimhneas at 8.30 p.m.
    • Thursday, 23rd in Bradley's, Labane, 8.30 p.m.
    (http://www.portumna.net/news/localpapers/100915.html#8)

Interesting that they're being held from the rural transport point of view, Oranmore didn't look so rural last time I was out there. But I guess there are farms around the edge.

If anyone goes to the meeting, maybe mention the need for local buses to link up with the new railway station when it's built: I have no idea if they plan to make it accessible by foot (footpaths are nice ;) ), but it's a fair hike from the far end of Oranmore to it.

Advertisement