Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 4 Torunament

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 FrontierX

Thanks to everyone for coming and congrats to Paul, unfortunately more people didn't show up so there wasn't that much prize money on offer, but it was a good place to start from so we can build on it from here :)

What I really need now is advice... what areas we can improve on, other scenes that are quite big in Ireland that we can try and make more tournaments for, basically anything would be useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

BanjoB wrote: »
    I won. Was a small tourney with 10 lads but was enjoyable all the same. :)

Good stuff man! Did D4RK record the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

FrontierX wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for coming and congrats to Paul, unfortunately more people didn't show up so there wasn't that much prize money on offer, but it was a good place to start from so we can build on it from here :)

What I really need now is advice... what areas we can improve on, other scenes that are quite big in Ireland that we can try and make more tournaments for, basically anything would be useful!

Saturday tournaments would be handy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Saturday tournaments would be handy.

Indeed, if you want some of the Dublin players to make a trip, it needs to be Saturday. Not too late either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Enjoyed what I saw...Can ye post up the results (same kinda way as the Tekken 6 tournament) - will make it easier for me to put up a newspost.

Thanks and looking forward to the next one!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The midweek tournaments/casuals are a great idea and should become a regular thing. It will help nurture the player base in Limerick which is what we need to focus on short term. Just not Wednesdays :p

I'd also run a big monthly tournament on a Saturday which will attract players from other cities/towns.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The midweek tournaments/casuals are a great idea and should become a regular thing. It will help nurture the player base in Limerick which is what we need to focus on short term. Just not Wednesdays :p

I'd also run a big monthly tournament on a Saturday which will attract players from other cities/towns.

Ya I was talking to D4RK ONION about that idea, it does seem to be the way forward alright. Anyone got any criticisms about the facilities or how the tournament was run? I won't take it badly if you do don't worry :P

Also I'll get those results up as soon as I have them Sabre, forgot to get them off Eoin before he left last night

Try to avoid scheduling conflicts - United match last night :(

When there's no side distractions like that, try to get everyone into the main part of the room (helps if there's no cables stretching on PS3 side) as it can build an atmosphere...Just going back to when the FIFA tournaments were on - good few of us from HMV and our friends went in and stuck around for the finals so there ended up being a decent atmosphere.

>> Nothing ye can do about the overly shy of course :D

Good facilities - not too warm, not too cold, plenty of space. Nice place and a good central location.

🤪

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Good games to all, especialy BanjoB. I choked in the last round. Ah well. :P

A few points for ye
    • Don't lock people to one character. Silly rule IMO and means that a counter pick after losing a tough match-up is impossible.
    • Double Elimination for the win tbh. It's the Western standard and it gives people more value for money.
    • This next one is a bit more to do with behaviour. When two chachters like Honda and Chun go at it, the match it going to be slow if people know what they're doing. You can't just rush in. Honda can not win like that. As such, it'd be nice if you people could keep the heckling down to a minimum. The odd comment is too bad, but people constantly going on about how long it's taking is really off putting. That may sound condescending, but it has to be said.
    • Move it to Saturdays, make it start much earlier and make it once every 2/3 weeks.
    animaX wrote: »
    No one of the guys there recorded all the matches. A few decent ones in there. Banjo and I's was particularly awesome and generic username put up a good struggle. He just needs to learn the match-up. Once chun has ultra, never EVER headbutt! EVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

animaX wrote: »

Thanks man. Don't think dark onion recorded our match but the lads at frontier x may have???. It was a damn loooooong match though... Remember... I love turtles :D .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Good games to all, especialy BanjoB. I choked in the last round. Ah well. :P
    • This next one is a bit more to do with behaviour. When two chachters like Honda and Chun go at it, the match it going to be slow if people know what they're doing. You can't just rush in. Honda can not win like that. As such, it'd be nice if you people could keep the heckling down to a minimum. The odd comment is too bad, but people constantly going on about how long it's taking is really off putting. That may sound condescending, but it has to be said.

I completely disagree with this, spectator heckling/hype is one of the most entertaining parts of tournaments imo and we oculd do with more of it, not less. Get some earphones if you don't want to be distracted by sounds around you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    [/LIST]

I completely disagree with this, spectator heckling/hype is one of the most entertaining parts of tournaments imo and we oculd do with more of it, not less. Get some earphones if you don't want to be distracted by sounds around you

exactly thats where the pressure comes from!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Absolutely agree with all onions points there although I was zoning out from all the sounds around me near the end anyway so it didn't matter.I Needed to be zen like to finish that round . Lol.
    I guess one issue would be just having just 2 screens if there was a lot more competitors, especially if it went double elemination.I guess that's unavoidable though tbh. The place itself though was great, v comfortable with projector and Xbox on one side and big tv and ps3 on the other.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

[/LIST]
    I've no problem with heckling Dreddy. But I do have a problem with 8 minutes of being told how slow the match is going. Very annoying. There's a line between light hearted heckling and having no respect for two people playing a very intense match. You're entitiled to your opinion though. Maybe you'll understand when you see the video.

I've no problem with heckling Dreddy. But I do have a problem with 8 minutes of being told how slow the match is going. Very annoying. There's a line between light hearted heckling and having no respect for two people playing a very intense match. You're entitiled to your opinion though. Maybe you'll understand when you see the video.

I deal with it ALL the time.

It's part of the game, as much as it annoys me to have to explain AGAIN why I am not going to rush into Zangief loving embrace I don't let it in when I am playing at all. People are always going to be talking and shouting (usually for me to lose. I believe, in fact, you have in the past).

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Am I have no probs with heckling when its all in good fun and yer having a laugh. Mostly because I find you somehow block it out during a fight but I have to say it did get abit outta hand during their match! It went from jokes that no-one is attacking to turning into a full fledged conversation for the whole match. And its a shame because the fight was so good and I think there was only 3 of us that were really aware of the skill on display?

Also, please dont do saturday tournies! Its the one day I cant do and I'm already missing the saturday casuals! I'd have to quit to be able to attend! :(

Mid-week tournies for the little guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

That's fair enough Onion, if the spectators are directly talking to the players that''s bad form imo. Obviously though I wasn't there so I don't know the exact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Maybe you'll understand when you see the video.

I'll hold off my opinion on this till I see the vid. A bit of lighthearted hype can add to the craic. I do think there is a line though. As I said before I'd love to get to the stage where theres commentary on matchs for a decent recording of the tournaments. But it'd be bad form imo of the commentators where right in ear shot of the lads playing. So they'd need to be looking at the match on another screen somewhere imo.

Would also mean they can say what they like without worring about distracting the players.

I deal with it ALL the time.

It's part of the game, as much as it annoys me to have to explain AGAIN why I am not going to rush into Zangief loving embrace I don't let it in when I am playing at all. People are always going to be talking and shouting (usually for me to lose. I believe, in fact, you have in the past).

Do you really? I mean yeah there was that eejit that commented on one of your match vids but that guy was literally a scrub. There'd be a few jokes about guile alright from the community but its always said with lightheartedness and with the knowledge that thats playing him right. At least thats what I've heard I may have missed some comments.

Again poor terry gets it the worst here out of everyone, in the middle of a hard fight everyone would be shouting tiger at him lol poor terry, stop being in the same group stage as me so I can root for you!! haha :D

"Let's go Justin!"
    [/LIST]

🤪

Sisko wrote: »
    I'

Do you really? I mean yeah there was that eejit that commented on one of your match vids but that guy was literally a scrub. There'd be a few jokes about guile alright from the community but its always said with lightheartedness and with the knowledge that thats playing him right. At least thats what I've heard I may have missed some comments.

Yes I have had many comments said about/ to me mid fight. Yes they're meant in light spirit, but they're mid match and could be potentially distracting, and yeah if people were directly giving the players **** while they're playing its bang out of order.

• Advertisement

I would like to add though that I do agree with dreddy :

[/LIST]

I completely disagree with this, spectator heckling/hype is one of the most entertaining parts of tournaments imo and we could do with more of it,

We deffo could, the hype isnt high enough and there is somethings we can learn from the Americans.

However I don't think the problem is us , rather, XGC.

The crowd that gathers to watch the finals is right beside the players due to the size of the place. And the volume of the TV is pretty low. So naturally people are gonna keep quite out of respect to the players who are right in front of them.

The more space and the more loud everything can be, the more 'hype' the crowd can get. We're just all so compressed in XGC. Its something we need to look at eventually.

I'd like to post this vid that dreddy linked me to:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

DOUBLE CHILLI!!!!!!

Rock can create hype out of nothing. Best commentator there is. Very knowledgeable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Yeah I agree with what Sisko says tbh, it's not like people are shouting right into your fecking ears. And it's fun when people laugh/make comments or w/e, its only a bit of craic like

Yeah I think there's a dividing line between what's craic and what's not (and its pretty damn obvious as to what), and I don't think anyone has or will step over this line

Man up

EDIT : Yeah, Rockefeller is sick, great Urien player too, very knowledgeable, commentary is gas

I used to love the FFA/Denjin ****

SEX I
    SEX I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

"a sneeze away from winning" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Sisko wrote: »

"Daring Dirk Diggler"! I nearly cracked mt ass laughing at that :D

More to the point, there was a very jokey atmosphere there which i thought was great, the kinda atmosphere that gets shy peeps getting involved. I agree with generic_name that when your playing you zone it out completely. If Onion is hearing it that clearly it might be because his not focused on the match as much as he should, after all, BanjoB said he zoned it out? Taking nothing away from the fight btw both players were excellent. But also there's definitely is a line, one i dont think was crossed if marginally by the noise level. What can you expect from Tekken players at a Street Fighter Tourny anyway haha!

Lastly, mid week competitions FTW! Weekends are most of the time no good for me :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm not a fan of trash talking before matches, just sounds so utterly retarded and childish.

I don't mind people cheering and jeering during a match I mostly don't notice it. It would have to be pretty severe to distract me.

At the same time its annoying hearing people at competitions or during commentarys that don't understand the game or match ups critizing people who do.

Indeed theres a line, we'll see in the vid.

We need a way for the spectators to be able to watch and make some hype with out them breathing down the actual players necks. (In XGC I mean)

Robbknoll wrote: »
    "Daring Dirk Diggler"! I nearly cracked mt ass laughing at that :D

More to the point, there was a very jokey atmosphere there which i thought was great, the kinda atmosphere that gets shy peeps getting involved. I agree with generic_name that when your playing you zone it out completely. If Onion is hearing it that clearly it might be because his not focused on the match as much as he should, after all, BanjoB said he zoned it out? Taking nothing away from the fight btw both players were excellent. But also there's definitely is a line, one i dont think was crossed if marginally by the noise level. What can you expect from Tekken players at a Street Fighter Tourny anyway haha!

Lastly, mid week competitions FTW! Weekends are most of the time no good for me :(

Back on topic for a minute, the obvious solution seems to me to stagger mid week and weekend events.

Right then, lets discuss what day is best for people! Any day of the week bar Monday suits us (FIFA tournament that day)

For the casuals that is, and would people be interested in one a week or would one every 2 weeks be better?

• Advertisement

Yo FrontierX, open a place in dublin will yea? With loads of space and stuff.

n1

Advertisement