Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking forward to M3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well in all fairness, I have clocked up over 200,000km on the N3 over the years and the people i see don't stick to the 100km limit anyhow.

Not long now...

Does anyone know from the start in Carnaross to the M50 interchange exactly how long it will take? Also, does the quicklane only allow cars? I drive a van...
    M three wrote: »
    i wouldnt forsee an issue Unclebill driving a van in the quicklane. so long as you are going quick and not getting in someone else's way. as you point out no body pays any attention to the speeds on the N3.

Is new road definately opening this Friday after the local politicians stick their fat faces in front of the cameras? The NRA website is still saying July and the contractors website doesnt mention a specific open date.

I know that a lot of people pay no heed to the current 100 km/h limit - hell most of the people I meet on this road in particular (never seen it as bad anywhere else!) can't do anything about 80 km/h anyway, so a reduced limit will make no difference to them! :rolleyes:

However, I'm sure the Gardai, will be all over the "old" road (for the first few weeks anyway) catching people who dare to exceed the now ridiculous 80 km/h limit it'll now carry.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I know that a lot of people pay no heed to the current 100 km/h limit - hell most of the people I meet on this road in particular (never seen it as bad anywhere else!) can't do anything about 80 km/h anyway, so a reduced limit will make no difference to them! :rolleyes:
    Couldn't agree more. It's the worst road I've ever seen for people actually holding up traffic. Some at 60-80 kmph, which would put alot of drivers at risk of falling asleep behind the wheel. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Imbolc57

In the summer of 2007 I joined the protests against the M3 motorway cutting through the Tara Complex. On the protest lines and in the camps I heard about the dark machinations of Capitalism, the one and only reason accepted for the road’s construction.
    Yet when I read the NRA, Meath County Council or Government reasons on why this road was being built an exploding population in Meath was always the main reason given.
    The population of Meath was indeed exploding and it was caused solely by immigration.
    However when I mentioned this on the protest lines, in the camps etc, it was rejected.
    People had been programmed to believe that immigration would enhance us.
    I did not believe this.
    I told people instead that if they accepted the rise in population then they must accept the rise in road building, development etc, but it was inferred that this was racism.
    The present jobs problem trots along this exact same line.
    Unemployment has been caused as much by the dismantling of borders and mass immigration into here as by banking failure or corruption.
    A look into any shop, building site or van will show this. There are still loads of jobs available but they pay only minimum wages; the result of a surplus of workers. Others gain the jobs that we can’t accept and we can’t accept them because they pay wages so low as to be worthless.
    Deregulation and open borders leads to rising populations in lands with “opportunities” and long term these bring only problems for the natives of these same lands.
    This is precisely what they have brought us.
    Mass immigration leads to more roads and shanty towns, collapsing wages, lengthening dole queues and environmental destruction. These problems grin at us now regardless whither we look at them or look away.
    Chants of racism cannot hide this just as we cannot hide the road before us now.
    That’s what the M3 drives into our lives and that’s what the people who planed it want; a society and populace without roots which cannot resist it aims.
    Those with vested interests hide this, those on the “Left” who oppose them hide this truth on rising population too. Both camps carry only dogma. Truth is the enemy of Dogma. We must realize that now!
    We must realize too that its along these M3’s that our future is planned; a ribbon development that is for profit only; packed, multicultural and filled with struggles just to keep our heads above water and as long as one person accepts these low conditions then we all must accept them; we are all the same now, existing in the same market.
    Our old green land has been sold for profit and for the first time nothing stands behind us.
    More people is what we should fear because it will bring more of this, more of what we now have and less of what we once had. This will hold true. I believe that.
    So the question that must be asked is this;
    Can we really expect solutions to problems when we refuse to factor in the causes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Imbolc57 wrote: »
    In the summer of 2007 I joined the protests against the M3 motorway cutting through the Tara Complex. On the protest lines and in the camps I heard about the dark machinations of Capitalism, the one and only reason accepted for the road’s construction.
    Yet when I read the NRA, Meath County Council or Government reasons on why this road was being built an exploding population in Meath was always the main reason given.
    The population of Meath was indeed exploding and it was caused solely by immigration.
    However when I mentioned this on the protest lines, in the camps etc, it was rejected.
    I did not believe this.
    I told people instead that if they accepted the rise in population then they must accept the rise in road building, development etc, but it was inferred that this was racism.
    Unemployment has been caused as much by the dismantling of borders and mass immigration into here as by banking failure or corruption.
    A look into any shop, building site or van will show this. There are still loads of jobs available but they pay only minimum wages; the result of a surplus of workers. Others gain the jobs that we can’t accept and we can’t accept them because they pay wages so low as to be worthless.
    Deregulation and open borders leads to rising populations in lands with “opportunities” and long term these bring only problems for the natives of these same lands.
    Mass immigration leads to more roads and shanty towns, collapsing wages, lengthening dole queues and environmental destruction. These problems grin at us now regardless whither we look at them or look away.
    Chants of racism cannot hide this just as we cannot hide the road before us now.
    That’s what the M3 drives into our lives and that’s what the people who planed it want; a society and populace without roots which cannot resist it aims.
    Those with vested interests hide this, those on the “Left” who oppose them hide this truth on rising population too. Both camps carry only dogma. Truth is the enemy of Dogma. We must realize that now!
    We must realize too that its along these M3’s that our future is planned; a ribbon development that is for profit only; packed, multicultural and filled with struggles just to keep our heads above water and as long as one person accepts these low conditions then we all must accept them; we are all the same now, existing in the same market.
    Our old green land has been sold for profit and for the first time nothing stands behind us.
    More people is what we should fear because it will bring more of this, more of what we now have and less of what we once had. This will hold true. I believe that.
    Can we really expect solutions to problems when we refuse to factor in the causes?

.... in the words of Jeremy Paxman "Yeeessssss......"

I am sorry but I think there is really no substance to your argument, this road will mark a paradigm shift in the quality of lives for so many people living in Cavan, Virginia, Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin and surrounding areas, there can be no doubt that a substantial number of vehicles will be removed from the local roads and those towns along the old N3 making those towns a more pleasant and safer place to live. Commuters and families travelling into Dublin will have an infinitely safer and more pleasant journey than travelling on the old road... families living on the old road will be infinitely safer and as someone suggested cycling on that road may now be realistic...

I really don't see a downside to this road, good for all the people of Meath / Cavan for a multitude of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Well in all fairness, I have clocked up over 200,000km on the N3 over the years and the people i see don't stick to the 100km limit anyhow.

Not long now...

Does anyone know from the start in Carnaross to the M50 interchange exactly how long it will take? Also, does the quicklane only allow cars? I drive a van...

What's the "quicklane" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I never thought this thread would descend into a party political broadcast for the Irish equivalent of the BNP.

Hopefully someone using the road this evening will post their experiences, including what tailbacks there were either at Virginia or at the M50 lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I never thought this thread would descend into a party political broadcast for the Irish equivalent of the BNP.

Hopefully someone using the road this evening will post their experiences, including what tailbacks there were either at Virginia or at the M50 lights.

Well the other half is driving on it from Navan to Blanch as I type this and she tells me there are protestors out on one of the bridges (Hill of Tara brigade) but aside from that it seems to be busy but moving well (Navan - Dunshaughlin in 5 minutes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭meercat

clonee bypass-maghera 45mins at 4oclock today,a bank holiday weekend.worth it today but 2 tolls at 2euro(van) will work out at 2grand a year.i will be selective about using this motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scorpion05

A guy from work travelling to navan said from m50 toll plaza to navan took him 18mins. Taking spin to Virginia from blanch on Sunday would like to know how long the journey might take now via the new M3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

scorpion05 wrote: »
    A guy from work travelling to navan said from m50 toll plaza to navan took him 18mins. Taking spin to Virginia from blanch on Sunday would like to know how long the journey might take now via the new M3

Not Possible - even I was bombing along and it took me 14 mins from the M3 Toll Plaza on the kawasaki. perhaps he meant the M3 Toll plaza?

it is 47 Km from the M50 toll plaza to Navan (kilcarn roundabout at Navan) meaning you would have an averge speed of 157 KPH not allowing for a toll stop! I averaged 137.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 scorpion05

He must have meant the M3 toll plaza. I'm looking forward to knocking som time of the trip to virginia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭MN_Medic

baalthor wrote: »
    What's the "quicklane" ?

The 'quicklane' or fastlane is the outer most lane. ie. the right one. This is for fast moving vehicles. HGV's are by law? not allowed in this lane. Trucks cannot overtake each other. It's a shame this is not enforced by the Garda. Vans can use this lane as most only require a B class licence. If a vehicle requires a HGV licence to drive then it's different. Ambulances (which require HGV licence) are of course exempt. The fastlane is for overtaking only. You must return to the left lane after an overtake. Just like you would on any other road. Please don't hog the fastlane.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Used the new road this morning at 6am to travel to Dundrum from Kells town, absolute pleasure and only 45 mins. Road was very quiet though, would like to see what it would be like on a weekday morning or afternoon, still well worth the two tolls for the comfort of not getting caught in the towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Imbolc57 wrote: »
    I did not believe this.

I followed this whole thing. The fact it was being done was on the list of reasons for my move to Cavan. I had to listen to idiots going on about its wrong with this and that. In fact I think more people will visit Tara because well at least now they can get there without the hours of traffic people had to put up with. I drive to Dublin in the evenings and the q's of people in Kells, Navan, Dunshaghlin is mad, something had to be done.

I've listen to so called famous actors going on the Late Late Show to give out about it. Like these people are even using the road :rolleyes:

When i started commuting to Dublin I had to leave at 7am to get there for 9am. As time went on this went to having to leave at 5.30am to get there for the same time. It was mental. I used the back roads into Ratoath. It was like a mini motorway. The amount of dangerous driving was amazing. Then they start building more and more housing estates there and you could see the faces on the people trying to pull out of their new estate think "Ok, the estate agent never told me about this", the M3 will take all this away. It will give folks there towns back. This can not be a bad thing.

I am happy to see it open.
    What's the "quicklane" ?

Ah, someone got to this..
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »

However, I'm sure the Gardai, will be all over the "old" road (for the first few weeks anyway) catching people who dare to exceed the now ridiculous 80 km/h limit it'll now carry.

Well, I doubt the Guards will be about on it. I've drivin 800km in the last few days and seen nothing. In fact most Bank Holidays I'm all over the country and I've seen very few if no speed traps on the roads. Sure most of the time there hidden on the Navan road in places where the limit is 100km!

Well, I'll be driving from Carlow to Cavan via the new road tonight. Much better than doing the Portloaise, Tullamore, Mullingar route.

I was on the new Limerick motorway yesterday. Finally roads are being opened. More the better.

What's the "quicklane" ?

Actually, what i meant was the lane on a toll thats not covered by a teller. Its normally the right hand lane. Its normally for cars but most vans can fit.

Seeing that this is a brand new toll its likely that the height restricter is new and will be for cars only. Which s a shame, cause new tolls read the tag and charge you correctly regardless if its a van or a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misslily

does anyone know if there will now be express buses that go from cavan to dublin via the new road by bus eireann?

i commute from virginia to dublin monday to friday and travelling home on friday on my 5.30 bus was fantastic. bus aras to virginia town in 1hr 35mins on a friday of the june bank holiday was unbelievable thanks the new road taking all the traffic.

Well, I finally got to use it last night and I have to say I was like a child.....

Was great to figure out how it all went and where you were at compared to the old road.

Over all it took 15mins off the drive according to the satnav. So when i take into consideration traffic and traffic lights its easily taking 30-40 mins of the overall journey.

There was some issue with the Tag Readers, so they manual typed in the number. Very friendly staff on the booths too.

The Express lane has a height of 2.2m, so larger vans do fit which is great news too.

So, Carlow to Cavan was 2hrs. Newlands Cross to home, 1hr 10mins. Fantastic!

Only strange thing was after Kells its only a dual carriage way and the 2nd toll is smaller. I'm assuming they've thought it through and it does not warrent it being anything else.

I do agree a express service to Dublin would be a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

misslily wrote: »
    does anyone know if there will now be express buses that go from cavan to dublin via the new road by bus eireann?

I overheard a bus driver on the 109 the other day saying that Bus Éireann need to get licenses to allow their buses on the M3 and once they have them there will be an express bus. I'd say we could be waiting a while but if we do get an express service it'll be well appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

i asked a bus driver and he said it will proberbly be 2/3 wks to get the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 taffy1973

travel daily along the M3/N3 in my van and have travelled both routes since opening of the motorway and have done a few tests and calculations. from virginia to dunboyne only has a time saving of 15-20 mins ( keeping to speed limit of course) for a cost of 4 euros toll (2 euro per toll) at 120kph but also loosing 5 miles per gallon on fuel economy, yet at 80kph on old road with no traffic i am gaining approx 8 miles per gallon and saving the toll of 4 euro each way. lot of people are not factoring in the extra fuel cost at the higher speed, great road tho which is good for the one off journeys but expensive for a regular commute from the far side of kells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭meercat

Taffy
    totally agree. At certain times the time saving doesn't justify the costs
    was going to open a thread on it
    you have to be going max speed on m3 to save time. Less traffic on old n3 even though speed reduced. No time saving into kells from Virginia on new road even going faster. It's too expensive for van users 2 euro each toll works out 8 euro a day. 40 euro week. 2000 year. Not enough to justify using regular. Great road to travel for infrequent users or 1 toll only

• Registered Users Posts: 35 valentino1

Any word on whether Bus Eireann or any of the private owned bus companies will be providing an express bus service from Cavan to Dublin? I have emailed Bus Eireann twice inquiring about this but never heard back. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

valentino1 wrote: »
    Any word on whether Bus Eireann or any of the private owned bus companies will be providing an express bus service from Cavan to Dublin? I have emailed Bus Eireann twice inquiring about this but never heard back. :rolleyes:
    shannon82 wrote: »
    i asked a bus driver and he said it will proberbly be 2/3 wks to get the licence.

:rolleyes:

So it's definite then Bummer1234 is it????

In two to three weeks Bus Eireann will be doing express services from Cavan to Dublin via the M3 because some random bus driver said it takes that long to get a license.

Thank you very much for answering my question.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Where will we be able to find out about this when it happens? Severely looking forward to it as my girlfriend lives in dublin so we take it in turns to travel from dublin to cavan or vice versa every weekend.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything more on this? Will bus eireann make express bus services available at all this year using the M3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

on the commuting board it was alluded to that the powers that be are conspiring to bring a private coach company into the market, and they will be offering express services.

Not sure if they are planned to go as far as Cavan though.

I'D have mixed views on such a move.
    If theres less people travelling on Bus Eireann, then can the hourly frequency to Cavan be maintained, especially in the afternoon?
    I would doubt it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

on the commuting board it was alluded to that the powers that be are conspiring to bring a private coach company into the market, and they will be offering express services.

Not sure if they are planned to go as far as Cavan though.

I'D have mixed views on such a move.
    If theres less people travelling on Bus Eireann, then can the hourly frequency to Cavan be maintained, especially in the afternoon?
    I would doubt it to be honest.

Could Bus Eireann not run a service where say every second bus uses the motorway. I think its rediculous that there is not a direct service from say Virginia to Dublin. I realise that people need to get the bus at other locations along the N3 but surely there is a market to run a motorway service.

There should be. Really annoying not having something. Maybe even 2-3 services a day just going straight up/down using the M3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 supa_stench

For the love of God and all thats holy is there any news on an express bus service from Cavan or Virginia to Dublin utilizing the new M3 motorway????

Such a service would make it feasible for me to take up a college position in Dublin and comute up and down every day.

Advertisement