Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you order a scope from US?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm doing some shopping around for a scope and came across a US site with plenty of scopes to choose from at decent prices. However, they have a warning on their site about US Government Export Restrictions, which includes scopes. Or can you order from eBay?

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

there is restrictions but its not impossible, try Alex at Euro optics!

You can still get hit for duty!

I was actually looking into this myself, even had someone lined up to bring the scope back from the states, in the end I bought a Schmidt and Bender up North.

Too much hassle unless you're going over there yourself, just my 2cents!

What type of scope you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yeah,if the ebay sellor will ship outside the CONUS.Also it depends on the scope type that is under restriction.Usually bog standard hunting scopes are no problem.But if it is some sort of milspec type of current ,or even previous issue .Or worse,was subject to US military trials,and eventhough it was never accepted for US military use but has a DOD contract number ..it is still restricted in sales outside CONUS.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Euro optic has an ebay shop and will ship S&B, Nightforce, Zeiss, etc, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

murph226 wrote: »
    Euro optic has an ebay shop and will ship S&B, Nightforce, Zeiss, etc, etc.

Be careful with this as a lad i was speaking to only recently told me that when he tried this he got all the way to the "confirm payment" section and it would not process as the Nightforce were not allowed to be shipped so the order could not be finalised.

Could be wrong, but a phone call is alot cheaper than a butt load of shipping, trouble, customs, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

there is restrictions but its not impossible, try Alex at Euro optics!

You can still get hit for duty!

I was actually looking into this myself, even had someone lined up to bring the scope back from the states, in the end I bought a Schmidt and Bender up North.

Too much hassle unless you're going over there yourself, just my 2cents!

What type of scope you looking at?

Something for benchrest, Sporter class

• Advertisement

Full bore or smallbore benchrest.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

ezridax wrote: »
    Full bore or smallbore benchrest.

Smallbore.

Was looking on eBay.co.uk and see there are some dirt cheap scopes there but I assume they're just crap. Also found a nice Hawke 3-9x50 scope with mounts on eBay for ~€60

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Also found a nice Hawke 3-9x50 scope with mounts on eBay for ~€60
    ......... but I assume they're just crap.

Stick with that train of thought.

Try here for an old thread on a similar subject. Personally i'd go for the Weaver myself. Small, light, cheap with excellent glass and perfectly suited for .22 rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I got one of those cheapish ones on ebay from the uk and find it great,its a walther 3-9x40 with light up crosshairs.
    its spot on all the time and has never shifted.
    Don't buy from china,,bought a Tasco??? from ebay and it was crap,,crosshairs shifted while adjusting the zoom.
    the chinese sellers have loads of attractive looking bargains on what seem to be the popular makes but these are all knockoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

i got a leupold vx3 (4.5 -15 x 50 longrange) in from the US last week for 750 dollars incl postage. no restrictions no customs. excellent scope. got it on ebay, took 7 days to arrive here from order time. i reckon i save a lot of euros :D. if you are buying through ebay check the sellers record and beware of dodgy copies.most american sites are ok.

• Advertisement

jammy git:D

was it an ebay shop you bought from?

also what courier did you use?

cheers Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

I bought a Zeiss Conquest from Alex at Europtic back in Feb, cost me 450 euro including shipping, plus 120 euro vat and duty on arrival.:mad:
    On the plus side, it is a cracking scope and i cant begin to guess what it would cost here for an equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

jammy git:D

was it an ebay shop you bought from?

also what courier did you use?

cheers Murph

Hi murph, i got it through an ebay shop (baitbucketdave) and they used the us express courier.send them an email and he wont lead you astray;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

try optics wearhouse in the uk, I have found them very good.:)

Advertisement