Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VR Lens versus Non-VR Lens

• 03-04-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to take the plunge soon and buy my first DSLR. I would like a Nikon D3000, and I've got a £100 voucher for Argos in the North to get me started.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=D3000

However, when I look at the description closer, it seems that the lens is the non-VR. So my question is, how important is VR in a lens? I plan to use the camera for mostly family photos, portraits of my kids etc. At the moment I don't have any plans for taking long exposure or low light shots or tripod use, but who knows what I'll do! I don't plan on buying loads of lens in the future, maybe a 50mm for portraits. Would there be a market for buying the kit lens, as I see that the VR version is for sale on Amazon for £115?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how significant VR is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I would bet it is a VR lens, but if it's not 18-55mm the VR is not critical.
    IMHO, you don't need it until you hit 150mm and up, and even then not always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Technique

I would bet it is a VR lens, but if it's not 18-55mm the VR is not critical.
    IMHO, you don't need it until you hit 150mm and up, and even then not always.

A few of the reviewers say that it's the non-VR, and I've seen the camera on sale elsewhere with both versions of the lens.

Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

On an 18 -55 lens you really don't need VR unless you have a shaky hand or are taking long exposure shots. VR just compensates for camera shake and usually most people will have a steady enough hold on the camera at this focal length at reasonable shutter speeds. With a longer lens handheld VR certainly is very useful. For tripod use there really isn't any need for VR so it should be switched off. Best of luck with whatever you purchase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

VR is nice to have but not essential. If it's only a matter of a small price difference I would get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Technique

Thanks for your comments guys, it reassures me that I'm not buying a decent camera with a sub-standard lens attached!

• Advertisement
Advertisement