Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreamweaver for a noob?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

hey,

i'm thinking about re-vamping our company website, and am considering using dreamweaver.

i've never used it before, but managed to set up a site back in the good old days using arachnophilia, and had a fair-ish knowledge of html, but that was a while ago.

our currently website is basically a showcase of stock items, there's no e-commerce aspect to it. i've found a template i like online, as far as i can tell all i'd need to do it tweak the layout a bit.

basically, this is the dealbreaker: is dreamweaver easy enough to pick up? i'm getting quotes from a few companies, but our last website cost about 3 grand, and i don't fancy paying that much again!! (or is there another website design program that anyone can recommend?)

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If its for your company, a professional business I would suggest getting a professional to do the job. Having a good knowledge of html, or a dated knowledge as you put it is only a small part of the work. Im sure if you look for quotes you should get some for less than the 3k you paid before, it comes down to what you want on the website and what its for but at the end of the day its still your online presence and should look professional if its going to represent your company.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

I take your point, and I'd rather not be spending my time learning to do something, when i could be concentrating on doing my job!

I've had issues in the past with getting work done after final payment, even getting emails answered by the developer is a challenge- I don't mind paying for work, but now they totally ignore any contact.

That's one reason I'm exploring doinG it this way, at least then I have control of things!

I'd agree that getting a pro to do it would be the way to go, as web design has probably changed a bit since you were involved. Dreamweaver is a great program, but most designers would not design using dreamweavers WYSIWYG view - dreamweaver (or any other wysiwyg editpr) is not up to the job for many reasons. You really need to generate the html and css yourself to get full control.

When dealing with a reputable company, a contract should be put in place - as much to protect you as the web dev. This will state deliverables, payment, timelines, etc and basically give you a copper-fastened guarantee that you get what you pay for.
    I've had issues in the past with getting work done after final payment

The website should be completely finished before you hand over final payment.

After the website is finished, you'd generally have a maintenance agreement with your developer. This should also be based on a contract to ensure both parties specify exactly what's involved. Depending on your requirements, it's often wise to get a content management system that allows you to edit your own site.

Advertisement