Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

desktop unit!

• 03-04-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

ok lads, looking for some advice here regarding a desktop.

I am hoping to buy a new unit with lots of specs. I dont require monitor speakers, keyboard(usb connection),mouse(usb connection) printer or external harddrives as I already have picked these up over the year. I used to connect all of these accesories off my old laptop which is now f**ked.

Therefore, all I need to concentrate is on a decent desktop unit. I want a good and powerful CPU. Good graphics and sound and full of features. Anyone suggest me a good unit to purchase?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

teednab-el wrote: »

I am hoping to buy a new unit with lots of specs. I dont require monitor speakers, keyboard(usb connection),mouse(usb connection) printer or external harddrives as I already have picked these up over the year. I used to connect all of these accesories off my old laptop which is now f**ked.

Therefore, all I need to concentrate is on a decent desktop unit. I want a good and powerful CPU. Good graphics and sound and full of features. Anyone suggest me a good unit to purchase?

cheers

What are you planning to do on this computer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

cheers

Yeah, we'll need to know exactly what you plan to do and how regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

david7536 wrote: »
    1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
    2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
    3) Where do you live?
    4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
    5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
    6) Will you be overclocking?
    7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
    8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
    9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
    10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
    11) Will you be building it yourself, or buyinga prebuilt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I intend to use it mainly for gaming and for running and loading different types of programs and for general PC stuff and web browsing. I can afford to go for an expensive unit, and my budget is up to €2000.

• Advertisement

11) Will you be building it yourself, or buyinga prebuilt?

I hope to build it myself if possible.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
    2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
    3) Where do you live?
    4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
    5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
    6) Will you be overclocking?
    7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
    8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
    9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
    10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

1) Everything you listed there.
    2) €2000 on unit (excluding shipping costs.)
    3) Kerry
    4)CPU RAM and graphics would be my main priority.
    5) Reusing speakers and subwoofers (Logitech) Monitor (22" widescreen Acer) Dell mouse and Keyboard(USB connections) 3 external HD's (3 x 1TB's) therefore I wont need a big HD in the unit itself.
    6)yes
    7) see point 5
    8) August or September. I want to do the research on the PC now though
    9)Definately want firewire. Not sure about the rest?
    10 I have XP but I want to get Windows 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

[/I]

1) Everything you listed there.
    2) €2000 on unit (excluding shipping costs.)
    3) Kerry
    4)CPU RAM and graphics would be my main priority.
    5) Reusing speakers and subwoofers (Logitech) Monitor (22" widescreen Acer) Dell mouse and Keyboard(USB connections) 3 external HD's (3 x 1TB's) therefore I wont need a big HD in the unit itself.
    6)yes
    7) see point 5
    8) August or September. I want to do the research on the PC now though
    9)Definately want firewire. Not sure about the rest?
    10 I have XP but I want to get Windows 7.

I'll do up a list of parts for you later ! :)

Advertisement