Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Wildlife

Options
  • 03-04-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Heres a starter; if you see a biggish bird of prey with a forked tail circling on thermal air currents over hills around Kindlestown to Delgany areas or Glen O' The Downs; it's a Red Kite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

recedite wrote: »
    Heres a starter; if you see a biggish bird of prey with a forked tail circling on thermal air currents over hills around Kindlestown to Delgany areas or Glen O' The Downs; it's a Red Kite.
    Havn't seen them yet. Release area is centred on Rathdrum-Glenealy. About 30 of them down there. Common Buzzards are now a fairly common sight around Charlesland. Saw one landed in the field above last week. Goshawk also around Glen in summer as is Woodpecker. You can see pretty much the whole cross section of Irish wildlife within short sistance of here. Otters in Bray for instance. The only thing I havn't seen is a Pine Marten, but I'm told they're in the Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Three buzzards live up by me, quite a sight to see them on the thermals, make a sound like from a spaghetti western. Plenty of grey squirrels (rats)
    I've never seen a pine marten around here but have up roundwood way.

Poor old badger hit by a car at eden gate today. I found a sett up there last year. A few of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Poor old badger hit by a car at eden gate today. I found a sett up there last year. A few of them around.

Seen a few unfortunates on my drive to work this morning. :(

Funny ,on my way back up there a few hours later, he was gone. Have seen this before. Very strong animals and can self induce torpor/hibernation if subject to a trauma. It's quite possible he just got up and walked off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Funny ,on my way back up there a few hours later, he was gone. Have seen this before. Very strong animals and can self induce torpor/hibernation if subject to a trauma. It's quite possible he just got up and walked off.

He was definitely there at 7am this morning and I'm nearly sure he was there at about 4.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

TBH it didn't look capable of moving when I seen it. If you catch my drift.

NarkyBoots wrote: »
    He was definitely there at 7am this morning and I'm nearly sure he was there at about 4.30pm.
    was gone 8pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

i know it's a bit further out but there is some type of bird of prey just off the N11 before the first exit for Bray on the left as you drive south
    i know it's not a red kite as the tail is different but it's almost as large as a kite,maybe 4 foot wing span
    it could be a buzzard,not sure

Yep, it's a buzzard. There's a breeding pair in Kilruddery estate. One of last years offspring is still in the area. So some days you will see the three around the head, glen or kilmac soaring like eagles. They are a big bird of prey and regularly mistaken for eagles. You will see them over charlesland often also. There are many differences between them and kites but the most obvious is the tail. Kite has a forked swallow like tail. Her is abuzzard photo.

http://img264.imageshack.us/i/dsc3227.jpg/

• Advertisement

yeah you can spot a red kite a mile away,there's one in particular in Avoca that i've seen every time i'm down there
    thought i missed him there last week,had the kids in the car,they were a bit sad
    then i look up above the car and there he is no higher than about 40 feet just hovering,what a sight,i stopped the car dead and enjoyed it for about 2 mins,deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

8F1ED0845AC7414F93D5537BA53BA8A8-800.jpg

Countryside is alive with them looking for Wives at the moment. Beautiful bird, especially with sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    8F1ED0845AC7414F93D5537BA53BA8A8-800.jpg

Just look over the wall into the empty field next to Charlesland Park. He's in there every morning, giving it large. Hes going to get it, i can tell you!

was up near the hotel in Druids Heath the other day,there were 3 large buzzards hovering in the adjacent field,amazing sight,they were going way up with the aid of the thermals,still not as impressive as one of the re-introduced Red Kite's in Avoca who is amzing to watch,all i need now is a good camera

They're my Buzzards:mad:

Huntthe wrote: »
    They're my Buzzards:mad:

doesn't seem like there your's:mad::mad::mad:

Three buzzards live up by me, quite a sight to see them on the thermals, make a sound like from a spaghetti western. Plenty of grey squirrels (rats)

I live the other side of the road from Druids Glen. I haven't seen them in ages, tell them I'm looking for them :(

I live the other side of the road from Druids Glen. I haven't seen them in ages, tell them I'm looking for them :(

sound,you should keep animals indoors if their yours:rolleyes:

thanks for that, they turned up shortly after I posted, seemed to be having a domestic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

130031C9A4DE4237B3C5AA0F388F5335-800.jpg

No shortage of the little Grey invaders.

Haven't seen my Buzzards in a while, I hope they're ok :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

The buzzards were around the environs of Druids glen today
    I see them regularly usually around lunchtime

Good to hear, I did hear them later but couldn't see them.

I saw a badger near the Burnaby Inn last night and a fox down by the Cove. The moon was very bright and the good weather probably has them out looking for mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pianoman_ie

Hi - newbie here. You ladies and gents are from my neck of the woods, keep posting on anything you find! especially woodpeckers, which I've get to see or hear in the area though I know they're there. Feel free to PM me..

One reported on Church Rd this year. they're about. Hard to spot.

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web

useful site

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

I would love to see a reintroduction of the red squirrel in the area - similar to what they've done in Dun Laoghaire. I wonder if theres any chance of that happening?

They're still in the glen, kilmac and also a couple of spots in Bray. Not really too much suitable habitat in Greystones itself. Greys have taken over the Burnaby. The evidence that our increasing Pine marten population are eating the greys is encouraging. It may become confined to urban areas in time. Although I've seen reports of Martens in gardens in sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Spotted a young fox earlier today in Mountain View - looked healthy enough and encouragingly wary of dogs and humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Not really too much suitable habitat in Greystones itself. Greys have taken over the Burnaby.

are there any reds in Kindlestown Woods? I assume that would be ok habitat for them?

Advertisement