Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Wildlife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Could be but haven't seen them. Wicklow is probably a stronghold for the species. plenty around Lough dan, Roundwood, Glendalough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pianoman_ie

Otters at Kilcoole

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151365235076183&set=vb.178145885603837&type=2&theater[/QUOTE]

Great! Was lucky enough to see one at the Breeches a couple of times but never this kind of view. Kudos to whoever took the video

dudmis wrote: »
    are there any reds in Kindlestown Woods? I assume that would be ok habitat for them?

I've seen reds at Kindlestown some years and not others. The population seems to swing between red and grey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Haven't seen a red at Coolagad/Kindlestown woods or thereabouts for at least ten years, certainly not since the greys arrived.

On a brighter note, there was a Long Eared Owl in a hawthorn in the hedge by the house at 8.30 yesterday morn, know they are about, nice to see one again..

• Advertisement

They cant be too far away anyway. They're on part of little sugarloaf. Wicklow is a stronghold for them. the greys have never taken hold as strongly here as in England. Lord masseys wood was always a great spot years ago. I visited last year and sure enough they're still there. Saw 3

Didn't think there was much cover left on little sugarloaf, maybe the lower east side , Belmont and Kilruddery is where you have in mind

Reds have certainly been in Kindlestown within the last 3 years, Didn't see them last year but there were several in Glen o' Downs.

At least 5 Red Kites at top of Farrankelly rd today 4pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

At least 5 Red Kites at top of Farrankelly rd today 4pm

wha!!!!!!!!.....i'm up there all the time and never seen a kite,just buzzards and once a long eared owl

Was surprised to see them there too. Usually see them at Avoca. Great to see them so locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

They cant be too far away anyway. They're on part of little sugarloaf. Wicklow is a stronghold for them. the greys have never taken hold as strongly here as in England. Lord masseys wood was always a great spot years ago. I visited last year and sure enough they're still there. Saw 3

Lord Masseys wood ? Lived here all my life, know the name but never heard of Lord Masseys wood, educate me please.

Have seen a deer (yes a deer) a badger and an unidentified bird of prey (not a buzzard) in the area recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

don't know one bird of prey from the next but 3 were flying around over charlesland this afternoon. Heard them before we saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

dr ro wrote: »
    don't know one bird of prey from the next but 3 were flying around over charlesland this afternoon. Heard them before we saw them.

Buzzards

Huntthe wrote: »
    Lord Masseys wood ? Lived here all my life, know the name but never heard of Lord Masseys wood, educate me please.

Have seen a deer (yes a deer) a badger and an unidentified bird of prey (not a buzzard) in the area recently.
    Sorry was just using as an example. Lord masseys is near mount seskinin the Dublin section of Wicklow mountains. You urn identified bird. Kite if tail was forked and colour red.very large bird. Other possibility, Harrier. Floppy type flight pattern usually low to the ground. There's a couple about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

good spotted..ive seen deer above there on downshill where did you spot yours?

Must have been a harrier. I'm familiar with most of them but I don't think I've seen a harrier before.

The deer was in a small wooded area near Druids Glen resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Massy's Woods
    Decline and Fall of the Massy family

Interesting parallels with Bellevue Woods and the La Touche family. Wandering around in both woods nowadays, you can still find bits of old walls and masonry, and icehouses, but nature takes back control very quickly when it is allowed to.

I've seen every wild Irish mammal in Wicklow ( except bank vole) except one that eludes me, the Pine Marten. Might have glimpsed one at Glendalough but not sure. Anyone knows where they are, let me know.its my holy grail :)

• Advertisement

Got up close to a pinemartin at Lough Dan. Hae you seen a lizard ?

Yes many times. There much more common than you imagine. Coastal paths on sunny days, watch the rocks to see them basking.

Got up close to a pinemartin at Lough Dan. Hae you seen a lizard ?

Long ago? At the round wood entrance?

Must have been a harrier. I'm familiar with most of them but I don't think I've seen a harrier before.

The deer was in a small wooded area near Druids Glen resort.

No shortage of deer about, there was a sika hind grazing by the northbound carriageway in the glen three weeks ago..

Someone has a short vid of a stag in a cornfield near Greystones on YouTube ,too stupid to post it :confused: ' Sika stag Greystones' should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

That's the one.. Thanks :rolleyes:

That was just below Bellevue wood by the looks of it. The one I saw was also a female sika.
    The Pinemarten was at the far side of Lough Dan only about 4 years ago.Take the walk up from the scouts place and than walk all the way around crossing the stream/river. I was stiiting quietly by the bank on the lake in the undergrowth (don't ask) It passed me twice. I read somewhere that they where not in Wicklow. I beg to differ :-)

Didn't realise lizards where so plentiful. Usen't be the case.

Wicklow is a stronghold for them although I have it on good info that they're in every county now. Ps was up there the other week. A lot of private property keep out stuff

yes seems to be a bit of bullying going on.don't know the ins and outs

• Advertisement

A mink today (yuk) crossed N11 at farankelly exit. Not nice to see them around.

Advertisement