Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Wildlife

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That reminds me, there was a squashed stoat on the road near the mini-roundabouts at Barry's Bridge last year. I often see rabbits in people's front gardens around Blacklion and Delgany, so there is food around for these predators.
    There seems to be a lot more ravens around this year. Less poisoning going on since the law changed, I suppose. They do a nice aeronautics display on windy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Stoats are cool. Mink are not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Stoats are cool. Mink are not

Two red kites circleing right overhead in charlesland being harrassed by crows..whoop whoop 11.49am.

Maudi wrote: »
    Two red kites circleing right overhead in charlesland being harrassed by crows..whoop whoop 11.49am.
    Saw them in the distance but couldnt confirm Kite or Buzzard. Did they have the distinguishable forked tail?

it's great news. They may be nesting nearby

• Advertisement

it's great news. They may be nesting nearby

Oh gosh..kite i thought..i got some tiny photos on my camera phone..

Oh gosh..kite i thought..i got some tiny photos on my camera phone..

This is what kites look like. They sort of hang in the wind at times

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=532475036810414&set=a.532474660143785.1073741830.144404808950774&type=1&permPage=1

100% kite then..they were both low enough for me to see those distinctive white under wing feathers..

100% kite then..they were both low enough for me to see those distinctive white under wing feathers..

Cool. Not surprised as I noticed a field had been tilled at the top of farrankelly road left side. That will bring them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Cool. Not surprised as I noticed a field had been tilled at the top of farrankelly road left side. That will bring them out.

a kite was soaring above the football field in Kilcoole today,a big one aswell,presume it's the same one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I've seen every wild Irish mammal in Wicklow ( except bank vole)

Would they be like a big galloping rat ? Or maybe I just saw a big galloping rat.

Huntthe wrote: »
    Would they be like a big galloping rat ? Or maybe I just saw a big galloping rat.

Nope. What I meant was that the vole is not found in Wicklow. Mostly Munster. looks more like a small rat or large mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Ok, that was a whopper of a rat than.

We have a great population of Goldfinches in Charlesland now. I enjoy other posts about wildlife observations in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

I spotted 1 adult Red Kite, over N11 at Roscath thins morning around 11, It was Looking at the Off Carriageway Bam construction works from 100m up.

Also the other night, Found a HUUUUGE"! Hedgehog in Charlesland Park Area.

Kites are drifting north all the time from their Avoca Redcross stronghold. Any kind of digging, ploughing or harvesting attracts them. I expect they'll be around when the fields up the road are being cut . They like crane flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

Kites are drifting north all the time from their Avoca Redcross stronghold. Any kind of digging, ploughing or harvesting attracts them. I expect they'll be around when the fields up the road are being cut . They like crane flies.
    had one floating above me today at the sugarloaf

This is what they look like. The distinctive forked tail is what really confirms your sighting.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=552617371462847&set=a.552615294796388.1073741861.144404808950774&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I have seen dear a couple of times recently in the middle of the day. One two days ago in the field at the top of farrankally (by the old builders yard) and one the other day crossing the n11 near Derek burtons, that one looked very scared and was skidding across the Tarmac to avoid cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Had a txt from a friend at 7.45 this morning to say there was lots of dolphin activity south of the harbour, unfortunately wasn't able to get down to have a look, just wondering did anyone else see anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Not Easy

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Had a txt from a friend at 7.45 this morning to say there was lots of dolphin activity south of the harbour, unfortunately wasn't able to get down to have a look, just wondering did anyone else see anything?

Some video and more reports about this can be viewed on this page: (I think the posts are public but you may have to login to facebook to see it).

https://www.facebook.com/bray.watch

Well my summer's been made... Helping a friend in a field north of the town about eight this evening, we spotted a Barn Owl quartering the stubble,stopping every now and then on a straw bale to survey it's surroundings. Luckily had the bins in the jalopy but hardly needed them, it didn't seem at all bothered by us.
    Best sighting ever in this area for me.
    Meanwhile , over the other side of the field on the same mission was one of those common as muck Buzzards..:D

Well my summer's been made... Helping a friend in a field north of the town about eight this evening, we spotted a Barn Owl quartering the stubble,stopping every now and then on a straw bale to survey it's surroundings. Luckily had the bins in the jalopy but hardly needed them, it didn't seem at all bothered by us.
    Meanwhile , over the other side of the field on the same mission was one of those common as muck Buzzards..:D
    Great sighting! they're in Greystones. I've seen twice in Charlesland area. I wonder if they are breeding. Was your sighting in windgates?

No, just west of Lidl..:)

No, just west of Lidl..:)
    Grt! There's got to be a breeding pair somewhere in the area. Saw one last week in Louisburgh. Never tire of such joys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

jesus at 8 tonight there was someone shooting in the farmers field south of shoreline's sports track

jesus at 8 tonight there was someone shooting in the farmers field south of shoreline's sports track
    Pigeons perhaps

Wouldn't be overly concerned, at that time of the evening probably rabbits were the target.
    Keep the ear to the ground in the farming and shooting fraternity and I don't hear anything negative re birds of prey , at least in this area, but as in all walks of life there can be the odd rogue.

Wouldn't be overly concerned, at that time of the evening probably rabbits were the target.
    Keep the ear to the ground in the farming and shooting fraternity and I don't hear anything negative re birds of prey , at least in this area, but as in all walks of life there can be the odd rogue.

Gosh if anybody is shooting myx free rabbits in the area id appreciate the heads up on a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

Leave the rabbits alone for fck sake.

Fluffy little bunnies.

Advertisement