Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Wildlife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Leave the rabbits alone for fck sake.

Fluffy little bunnies.

Fluffy little "tasty"bunnies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Leave the rabbits alone for fck sake.

Fluffy little bunnies.

Rats, hairy Japanese backstards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roadtrain

i came across a sick buzzard near garden village cuppla weeks ago he stumbled into the ditch. id say the foxes got him in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Hen Harrier and Merlin are visiting the Newcastle reserve at the moment!

Yesterday a Eurasian Crane in Newcastle (pictured, rare). A lot of Buzzard activity at Farrankelly lately. Sparrowhawks bombing in on the Goldfinches a common enough sight too
    http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/66517/Crane.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It would be fantastic if cranes started nesting here. I think there is some theory that they once did, and that is why in some areas people still use the name "crane" for herons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 curtins

Are there still Marsh Harriers in Tacumshin?

Yes Cranes were native and now extinct. Marsh Harriers? Tacumshin? Wexford ? Not sure! They winter around here quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Saw a hare on the big sugarloaf, last time I saw one I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

Huntthe wrote: »
    Saw a hare on the big sugarloaf, last time I saw one I was a kid.
    there's a good few around there,normally they're in the cpl of fields on the left as you head up to the carpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

the buzzards are out today,saw 2 up at Farrankelly,2 in the field beside Glenrow farm.

On the way back from Arklow this morning saw about 4 or 5 and 2 lovely red kites,1 was huge about 3 miles north of Arklow,think they come down from that forest on the left as ur driving northbound

A pair of Buzzards has been very busy in the Farrankelly rd area recently. Possibly breeding!

Kites screeching over kilcoole mass path fri..two harbour purposes off st davids rocks wed morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

Great to see that Pine Martens are about (Glen of Downs) but sad to one see killed on the road this morning. Looked like a juvenile so obviously breeding there

Great to see that Pine Martens are about (Glen of Downs)
    I heard they were spreading eastwards, but I didn't know they were in there.

They're well established in Wicklow and have been for a long time but didn't know they were in the glen either. Took a photo and sent it to a study group on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Just seen this thread...brilliant stuff, very interesting. Wish I knew more about nature/animal identification etc !

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

We seen the pine martin yesterday and thought it was a cat thanks for informing us

wont let me post it here by url but the photo is on Facebook page Irish Red Squirel and Pine Marten project. just look in the posts by others on the lhs of page

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

we have a big hedgehog who hangs out under our shed, hes so used to us now he dosent stir when we go near him:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

wont let me post it here by url but the photo is on Facebook page Irish Red Squirel and Pine Marten project. just look in the posts by others on the lhs of page

You should be able to post a link. You can't post images until you have 50 or more posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

LEIN wrote: »
    You should be able to post a link. You can't post images until you have 50 or more posts.

New posters cant post links

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Here it is.
    Looks to be in good healthy condition (apart from being dead)

we have a big hedgehog who hangs out under our shed, hes so used to us now he dosent stir when we go near him:)

We have one as a permanent guest in our garden..they have such big personalitys.

recedite wrote: »
    Here it is.
    Looks to be in good healthy condition (apart from being dead)

I saw one exaclty like this last year when I was out early..in the farrankelly rd area..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

recent visitor to Hillside:

10405475_844257035598663_1969917167669113456_n.jpg?oh=c30874450fe265a977c7c16ef91808ba&oe=5484D50A&__gda__=1422649787_c1884300e82120de55968918a8ea8d2e

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Wow. Now that's amazing. Bit of a danger (both ways) to traffic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How on earth did he get there? And more importantly, how did he get out again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Alun wrote: »
    How on earth did he get there? And more importantly, how did he get out again!

came down from Coolagad looking for a mate maybe?

Not sure where he went, I didn't take that picture but my son saw him on the green (we didn't believe him until we saw the pic on facebook).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

not a good sign for a lone animal of that size and head to be wandering out of his territory

Advertisement