Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Wildlife

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

.243 wrote: »
    not a good sign for a lone animal of that size and head to be wandering out of his territory

Very strange alright. Someone walking their dog of lead and spooks the deer and it runs straight into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Unfortunately I witnessed a younger buck knocked down the other evening at Windgates. It cleared the ditch and hit a car in front of me. (I was on the bike so I was a bit luckier than the poor animal). I stopped to see if everything was ok - driver was fine, but the animal had a broken leg and was severely stunned. Rang the Guards and waited for a while with the car driver, but then I had to head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

loyatemu wrote: »
    came down from Coolagad looking for a mate maybe?

Not sure where he went, I didn't take that picture but my son saw him on the green (we didn't believe him until we saw the pic on facebook).
    I know there are deer on some of the areas around Greystones, such as Coolagad / Kindlestown as you said, but to get to where he was photographed he'd still have had to navigate a good number of residential streets and roads first. I could imagine one being seen on the fringes of the town but not right in the middle like that, very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Alun wrote: »
    I know there are deer on some of the areas around Greystones, such as Coolagad / Kindlestown as you said, but to get to where he was photographed he'd still have had to navigate a good number of residential streets and roads first. I could imagine one being seen on the fringes of the town but not right in the middle like that, very odd.

I must confess when I saw that photo I thought of Photoshop.
    Incredible that an animal such as this would find it's way there without being by traffic, dogs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

.243 one you missed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

FirstIn wrote: »
    .243 one you missed?
    i dont miss lol,
    going by his size and head he is a big animal (about 70-90 kg),why he is in the area he was snapped in suggests he was involved in a collision of some sort or a sick animal wandering (more likely T.B),
    stags of that size never stray away from his herd unless he is sick in some way then they are outed and roam on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Or knocked off his spot by a bigger stag!
    Greystones must be full of gold medal stags.

He was only a couple of back gardens and a road from open ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Or knocked off his spot by a bigger stag!
    Greystones must be full of gold medal stags.

He was only a couple of back gardens and a road from open ground
    i wouldnt think so,
    stags that back off in a rut fight hang tend around the outskirts of a herd,plus if he was that close to his own open ground where he was holding a herd of hinds you'd be seeing alot more sightings of other deer

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Driving out towards Delgany GC heading for the N11 this afternoon and what must have been a Red Kite just dropped out of an overhanging tree and swooped up over the car. What a sight! I thought it was an eagle but having looked into it this evening, I don't think there are any in Wicklow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cool :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement