Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the army as an officer.

• 04-04-2010 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what are the avenues I'd need to take in order to join the army taking the officer route as opposed to the NCO.

If anyone has any information on doing so in the Irish army and also information for an Irishman wanting to take that route in the American army too.

Maybe I'm being lazy, but I think chatting with some of you knowledgable folk will be more beneficial then reading a page I find off google!

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

and also information for an Irishman wanting to take that route in the American army too

Easy.

If a US citizen, sign up, request 09S in the contract.

If not a US citizen, obtain a green card, sign up as an enlisted troop, serve the minimum required time to gain citizenship, request a slot at OCS and hope for the best.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Cheers buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

you dont join the irish army as a nco you join as a private and work your way up
    or as a cadet to become an officer

but you'll be waiting a while there is no recruitment at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

slapper2 wrote: »
    you dont join the irish army as a nco you join as a private and work your way up
    or as a cadet to become an officer

but you'll be waiting a while there is no recruitment at the moment

There is a cadet class always in training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

You dont join the army as a private either!

But i assume the OP was merely trying to distinguish between comissioned and non-comissioned folk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

General Service - once attested you become a recruit, upon completion of Recruit training you become a 2* Pte, upon completion of further training you become a 3* (gunner / trooper depending on corp and completion of corp training)

Officers join as cadets and upon commisioning become 2LT's or 1LT's depending on their level of education.

Hopefully, Brian Lenihan will give the go ahead for some form of recruitment, particularly General Service to bring numbers back up to authorised levels.
    Personally I feel that the DF could have done with 200 recruits last year as oppose to 42 cadets

Advertisement