Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Child Care

Options
  • 04-04-2010 6:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Knowing a bit about the subject of childcare/childminding policy it appears that places like Hotels are not accounted for in the recommendations. Policy only applies to Nursery's etc.
    Having done a little private research among the most noted Hotels (mentioning no names) it appears none use registered / qualified carers.
    All said they used a staff member; the friend/family of a staff member or a 'woman what does' from the local community.

What go go wrong in this situation I shudder to contemplate.
    What do others think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's not a service I've ever used but I have asked what it entails a couple of times and they've always made a point of saying that it's just one of the groups you mentioned above . I think (but could be wrong) that payment is directly to the babysitter rather than through the hotel so that it is effectively like paying a babysitter in your own house. I guess parents are thus using the service at their own risk. In fairness most regular babysitters (for nights out rather than childminding) are likely to be teenagers and not qualified childminders and in general they don't advertise it as creche/ nursery service (afaik).
    That said I wouldn't leave my child with a stranger in my own house let alone in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I work in a drop in centre in a hotel and I am fully quailified (up to FETAC level 6 children aged 12 and special needs) but some of the reception staff in the hotel aren't always aware of the quailifications of staff members so if you enquiring about child minding i would advise you ask to speak to the manger or the area of which the childcare is run, for example I'm employed under the leisure centre so they would refer you to that area. I work with 3yrs and under and i find it very surprising that I've only got asked if I'm quilified a handful of times ! Also alot of parents either leave a wrong phone number or wrong area of the hotel there in which is alot of hassle as you have to send another staff member to look for parents whilst you trying to comfort an upset child whilst caring for a room full of others.

Older kid camps on the other hand are a diffrent, You don't have to have a quailfication in childcare but you do have to be garda vetted and have up to date first aid and the hotel does train staff in child protection and play and children like drama and some sports, first aid if needed etc.

Also remember some montessori/playschool and young teachers do, do summer work in hotels sometimes. I'm not speaking for all Hotels , Just three that I have/do work for.

Also the money you pay people in kid camps most of the time goes straight to the hotel unless you give a tip which would be extra from the amount they charge you for the service.

Thanks.

Advertisement