Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental issue

Options
  • 04-04-2010 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

My lease on a two bedroom apartment expired last month and I verbally agreed to stay on in the apartment for another year. My mate has moved on so I have advertised the available room on daft.

There hasn't been much interest, two calls and I have a person viewing next week.my mate is moving out next week so I will have to make good the monthly rent on my own assuming the person due to view does not take the room.

I have not signed the lease but only verbally agreed to stay on for another year. My feelings are that the room is overpriced and I will not fill it any time soon (landlord is aware of situation).

My question is, if I leave next week am I still entitled to my full deposit back? Is notice required even though I did not sign a mew lease? Landlord is decent enough and I will be speaking to him further if the person viewing has no interest, just wanted some thoughts on my rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

It really depends on the lease agreement you had when you started.
    Do you have a copy of this.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Did you know that your room mate was leaving when you agreed to stay on in the apartment.

You say that your landlord is decent but if you knew your room mate was leaving and you go back on your word about staying another year its not very decent of you as im sure your landlord could have advertised the appartment over a month ago

But thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Have you asked the landlord about reducing the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

My question surrounds my rights with regard to the deposit. IE I am currently out of contract by a month and am I required by law to give the landlord notice? My rent is paid for another week, can I up and leave with this short notice and expect my desposit back? The landlord reduced the rent but there is no interest in the room which leaves me to cover the rent on my own. I do not intend on signing a lease with overpriced rent and no hope of renting the second room.

Had enough bad dealings with landlords before and am looking out for numero uno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

Yes you are required to give notice, just as your land lord would have to give you notice.
    As you are there over a year, you need to give 42 days
    http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=74&page=256

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We rented a house and the lease ran out and was not renewed; oversight by landlord and agent.

We said nothing as we were looking elswhere anyway.

Then the house flooded; they had laid stone tiles on bare earth.

We left within days; the agent said that that was fine as there was no lease; and we got our deposit back also with no fuss.

You can but ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Thanks for the info. 42 days notice is extreme I think. The room has been advertised almost 3 weeks and there has only been 2 calls expressing interest. I want to stay but am limited by the landlords asking rent, 1150 for a two bed apartment northside! Previous lease was 1250 and claims the EA said he would easily find tennants at that price and he was doing me a favour reducing to 1,150.

Landlords have yet to wake up to the downward spiral in rent.

Will speak to him and hopefully he will be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Previous lease was 1250 and claims the EA said he would easily find tennants at that price and he was doing me a favour reducing to 1,150.

Landlords have yet to wake up to the downward spiral in rent.

Will speak to him and hopefully he will be reasonable.

You have to be willing to call the landlord's bluff (which these days, is almost certainly a bluff).

I just asked my landlord for a fairly significant reduction - at first, she offered a smaller reduction than what I wanted/expected. When I said that under those circumstances I'd be moving out, she agreed to drop the rent by the amount I originally requested. But if she had not agreed, I was indeed fully prepared to move out as I'd done my research and knew the going rates in my area.

So if it comes to it, you have to be prepared to follow through and move on. There's plenty of choice out on the rental market anyway...

Advertisement