Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a router as an access point?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a quick search and nothing turned up. I tried Google too, but I got a bit confused by what I got :o
    I have two Belkin N1 wireless routers, and I'm looking to use one of them as an access point in the house next door. The only thing is, I can't hook the second one (the one I'm trying to use as an access point) up to the first as I'd end up paying for a long-ish cable. Assuming the second one will be within range of the first one's signal when I put it in the house next door, is there any way I could just plug it in to a laptop and have it pick up the signal from the first router?
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A repeater is what Your looking for, not an access point. An access point would be easy to do but would require it to be cabled to the other router. I'm fairly sure the Belkin should have ap mode in the settings. I honestly doubt the Belkin would be able to be set as a repeater, although someone else may post otherwise. With Linksys routers its possible to flash the firmware to custom firmware like open-wrt that allows it.

Advertisement