Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Dog

Options
  • 04-04-2010 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

My mother really wants a dog, a small companion dog.

Can anyone recompensed a breed? Ideally one that can be kept in the house although we have a large garden and exercise wouldn't be an issue. Indeed a dog that likes walks is important.

However, i am not interested in any breeds that suffer from hereditary health issued due to inbreeding.

I was thinking maybe a West Highland terrier or a Bolognese...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Aw, if you hadn't said about hereditary health issues I would have said a Cavalier. :D They're so lovely, love walks, are easy to look after, and just have a really good temperament. Alot of them get heart problems though :( but mine are healthy and my oldest one is 9, and I know a 14 year old one that's really healthy. So it is possible to get healthy ones if you go to a good breeder.

I'd recommend if she gets a Westie then to get a female, because I find the males can be a bit snappy sometimes, and just like they think they can fight any other dog! but I find the females are much nicer. That's just what I've noticed. (I do dog grooming and get alot of Westies.)

Bichon Frises are lovely small dogs too. But need alot of grooming. Then again I guess Westies need their share of grooming too. And Malteses are really sweet. But need lots of grooming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

To be honest I'm not a fan of small dogs, yes they take up less space but they do have a tendency to be snappy. If exercise isn't an issue I'd recommend a collie, easy to train, not that big and really like their exercise. That or a GSD but that might be too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

GDM wrote: »
    That or a GSD but that might be too big.

I have a GS myself, lovely but a bit big for my mother to walk around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

My Boo by the way :)
    Boo.jpg
    Boo 3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

id of said a cavalier,thier the ideal companion dog.
    if you go to a reputable breeeder Irish kennel club listing etc,you should have no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

westies are also fantastic dogs though,they can be a bit snappy sometimes

GDM wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not a fan of small dogs, yes they take up less space but they do have a tendency to be snappy. If exercise isn't an issue I'd recommend a collie, easy to train, not that big and really like their exercise. That or a GSD but that might be too big.

Not all small dogs are snappy. Cavaliers are never snappy. And the other ones I mentioned seemed to be very good natured too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Teacup Yorkie!

Tiny dog but packed full of personality! love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Teacup Yorkie!

No such thing as a teacup yorkie. Usually the runt of the litter with a fancy name that backyard breeders use to justify the price of them.

Op, why not consider checking out your local rescue centres? They always have a vast selection of small dogs of all different breeds. The staff will also be able to give you a good idea of their personality so can recommend what type of dog would suit your family.

Also mix breed dogs are usually much healthier and sturdier then pure breds. We have two small terrier mix breeds and they are full of character! :D

No such thing as a teacup yorkie. Usually the runt of the litter with a fancy name that backyard breeders use to justify the price of them.

I thought "teacup" Yorkies were Yorkies that were the size that Yorkies should be, according to breed standard that is. And that bigger Yorkies were just Yorkies that were "poorly bred" by backyard breeders. I could be wrong, but I thought that was it . . .

Tiny Yorkies are adorable, but Yorkies can be snappy too. I guess it depends how you raise/train them too . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

morganafay wrote: »
    I thought "teacup" Yorkies were Yorkies that were the size that Yorkies should be, according to breed standard that is. And that bigger Yorkies were just Yorkies that were "poorly bred" by backyard breeders. I could be wrong, but I thought that was it . . .

Tiny Yorkies are adorable, but Yorkies can be snappy too. I guess it depends how you raise/train them too . . .

I think it may be the other way around, but Im also not sure. The only thing I am sure of is that 'teacup' isn't an actual breed of yorkie, they are small, but alot of people are attracted by the cuteness of having a 'teacup dog', and think that they are another variety of yorkie. Alot of puppy farm breeders, for example, take advantage of this and purposely breed smaller versions for this market, charging ridiculous prices for an unhealthy dog.

Usually they have even more health defects then the slightly bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

My boyfriend's mother has a short-haired miniature Daschund and she is an inside dog. It's not her first Daschund and her daughter also has one, also an inside dog. I couldn't recommend them enough for loyalty. They are easy to look after. They are very protective of their owners and love to snuggle up to sleep on your lap at night when you are watching TV :)

They aren't messy and don't shed much so not much work is involved! Great with children and other dogs, to me would be ideal if I was in the position to get one :)

I think it may be the other way around, but Im also not sure. The only thing I am sure of is that 'teacup' isn't an actual breed of yorkie, they are small, but alot of people are attracted by the cuteness of having a 'teacup dog', and think that they are another variety of yorkie. Alot of puppy farm breeders, for example, take advantage of this and purposely breed smaller versions for this market, charging ridiculous prices for an unhealthy dog.

Usually they have even more health defects then the slightly bigger ones.

Sorry I just had to look it up. The breed standard is 4-7 lbs. But you're right about people just breeding them to look cute :rolleyes: and making up the name teacup. I'd be so scared to have one, because they're just so delicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

id highly reccomend a jack russel mine has never been snappy to people is highly intelligent but is prone to not getting on well with the other dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Plenty of good little dogs looking for a loving home http://www.irishanimals.ie/terriers_homes.html

Or if her heart is set on a westie http://www.westierescue.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

+1 for a Jack Russell, our one would nearly talk to you and is a great little watchdog. TBH she's only half JR, father is unknown and as was said before mixed breeds have very little health issues, so a trip to a rescue centre for a little terrier type would be my recommendation.

Was just coming on here to say what about a Jack Russel? The ones we have in for grooming always seem nicer than most of the Westies (though the poor Westies are getting clipped and that obviously upsets them). I've met some not so nice Jack Russels but lots of nice ones. :)

Cairn terriers are meant to be lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shivers09

Went up to Ashtown yesterday to walk some of the poundies. Have a look at http://www.dogsindistress.org/index.php to see all the gorgeous dogs there waiting patiently for their forever home. Loads of smallies in the pound including terriers, jrts and a fluffy little pomeranian and plenty more in foster with Dogs in Distress volunteers. Definately worth a look, I'm sure one of them will make a perfect companion for your mum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Teacup Yorkie!
    Lovely dog - actually, more like a cat.
    Good choice.

Advertisement