Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dooradoyle park

• 04-04-2010 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

i seen a guy remove the billboard that was erected on the road side last week, does this mean its a non runner, anyone know any more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dooradoyle Park is behind the health centre just opposite the entrance to Kilteragh.

If that is what you are talking about, then it was built years ago, and has people living there for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Think he means Ballykeefe Park in Dooradoyle.. We were just talkin bout it last night cuz the sign said work begins summer 2009..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Sign was just a stunt before local elections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stab*City wrote: »
    Think he means Ballykeefe Park in Dooradoyle.. We were just talkin bout it last night cuz the sign said work begins summer 2009..

Ahh the public park that has been promised over and over.

That will not be mentioned again until there is either local elections or a general election.

There was a big burst of publicity for it in 2008, and again in 2009.

It is a bit like the public walkway, in the area between Ballinacurra Gardens and the Crescent Shopping Centre, that Jimmy Long made such a fuss over and claimed was brilliant. He got his face in the paper, and he was also working to protect the swans there, or at least that was what he claimed.

Funny how he does not get seen much in that area anymore now that he got elected (on the eight count no less :rolleyes:), despite him living in the area.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to see how that turned out go for a walk there during the day. Start at the Portland Park pitch, home of Summerville Rovers, and follow the "walk" to the riverbank by going through the small woods.

The area is literally covered in hundreds and hundreds of empty beer cans, remains of dozens of small fires, the odd burnt out car, and gods knows what else. I used to use that walk for my running at one point, but the rubbish and the very large gangs that have taken over the area for their drinking has made it impossible to run at certain times of the day, especially the evenings, as running and dodging rocks is actually difficult.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Ballykeefe Park first came to my attention sometime around 2003/4 when Limerick County Council put a questionnaire through my door in Fr. Russell Rd. asking what we the People wanted in there.

The below sequence of events is only based on my own rough recollection and I am open to correction on any point.

The next thing that happened is that Limerick County Council via their notoriously inept and visually impaired Planning Department sanctioned the building of another 8 million crap semi-detached houses in Raheen/Dooradoyle/Ballykeefe and surrounding areas without any provision for public services, amenities etc.

The next bit of news was that they had decided to relocate the Park into an area where it was to be surrounded on all sides by thousands of Houses - This they said was done for the benefit of the 'People' as a 'security feature' - Your interpretation may well differ.

The Park then became an election vote getter for a Man I never heard of prior and have certainly never heard of since - Ricky Butler. It is simply a matter of opinion whether the fact that he cared more about printing tens of thousands of Euro on empty-promise flyers and an empty-promise sign than actually doing anything to get us a Park which, and again this is only a guess, he more than likely had absolutely no input in or weight behind in the first place.....

The last thing I heard on this was when Brian Kennedy, a Man with an astounding title of Special Projects Limerick County Council, put the message in the box, but the box into the car and drove the car around the World before telling us that, and I paraphrase from memory, there was no money for the Park because such money comes from the building of Housing Estates and since no Estates were being built then there simply wasn't the budget to provide a Park.

Here's a Limerick Leader article that carries some other detail on this and mentions a Seamus Braddish who it says was for a time busy making this Mystery Park all ready for the Kids to play Soccer and have Teddy-Bear Picnics on :confused:

From my perceptive it is absolutely disgusting, reprehensible and unbelievable that our Planning Office could allow our Property Developers to bulldoze and pour concrete and spread the tarmac involved in creating so many eyesore, future slum Estates without any slight provisions being made for the generations of Children and young People who would grow up in them.

We should be demanding clarification, explanations, apologies and resignations.

park.jpg

* Image originally scanned and posted by Bullets, thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This place has been promised since the early 90's when they removed the childrens play area up near St. Pauls school. Its a joke that such a large residential area doesnt have a public park

Richard Butler has his mail address and mobile number up on his Web page here

Feel free to mail or call him and ask where is this Park he promised us at election time :mad:

- Personally I believe that this brand of Politics is an example of utter bottom-feeding, is purely cynical and an example of the worst kind of pathetic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

just mailed him, ill not hold my breath for a reply:rolleyes:

Casperbhoy wrote: »

Keep us posted if you get any reply.. I would mail but im not a voter.

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    Keep us posted if you get any reply..

Bet sits on his lazy ar5e until the next Elections and then simply promises you a reply is on the way......

- Look how happy all the White Ghost People are in his irritating picture.... What a Tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Does this mean that the planning permission for this new estate should not have been let through???
    article from Limerick Leader at the start of February..
    how will the estate be served by the public park if it doesnt go ahead??

LIMERICK County Council has given the go-ahead to a major housing development at Skehacreggaun in Mungret.
    The multimillion euro project, which could provide 25 construction jobs over the next few months, will see 111 houses built on lands just off the main Limerick to Foynes road beside the Westward Ho pub.

According to the plans lodged by developer Kieran Braddish, there will be 22 detached houses, 54 semi-detached houses and 35 terraced homes, along with a creche.

The estate will be served by the yet to be constructed public park in Ballykeeffe, with the developer, in a statement, saying that as many houses as possible will have some view of this green space.

"The proposed scheme, although individual in its own right, is designed with the proposed park as the focus, with streets leading out from the park into various areas of the proposed scheme entailing as many houses with a physical or visual connection to the park and encouraging the use of the park.

"Each individual cluster or area has its own smaller green open space devoted to that section of the neighbourhood. The scheme endeavours to connect with the proposed neighbourhood park and to follow through with the links to the surrounding existing neighbourhood," the statement reads.

Speaking to the Limerick Leader, Mr Braddish said he hoped to begin the first phase of this development by the summer, creating 25 construction jobs lasting 12 months.

"It's a huge risk, but we are very confident because of the location of our site. It is the last 25 acres within the ring roads of Limerick. It is still a part of Fr Russell Road, even though it is on the link road. We believe we have value here, and we are going back to our roots in terms of building low density houses," Mr Braddish said.

"People looking for houses have not gone away, they are just afraid because of the culture the country is in, and they are afraid for their jobs. But we are going to have to stop this negative talk, and become more positive," he said.

The county council granted the development full planning permission with 44 conditions, including the development of a phasing programme which bounds the developers to build an access road from the estate to Ballykeeffe park, the construction of a cycle lane, and public lighting on all access roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

we are the fools that voted for him, Is he any worse then the rest of them?

If I had my way, Id clear any politician over 40.

Someone in their 30`s might have a bit of drive to actually get something done:mad:

Raiser wrote: »
    Look how happy all the White Ghost People are in his irritating picture.... What a Tool.

Why wouldnt they be happy i bet they are the only beings that will ever see use of this Ghost Park.

Now thats an idea early retirment for politicians.. Would be cheaper and more efficent if they were younger.

Limerick County Council have no right blindly and gaily rubber stamping planning permission for a single, solitary other House in Raheen/Dooradoyle/Ballykeeffe until they sort out the mess they made of Clarina (AKA Beirut) and bring us the Park we've been promised for two decades.

Brian Kennedy - Special Projects Limerick County Council; If you're curious, he's another key Player in this sad, sorry mess and should be asked to publicly account for his failures? If his wage is performance related you could also post him your spare change too so the Man doesn't starve to death.....

Does anyone know if building has started on this "new" estate?

I do wonder how was planning permission granted, as I thought
    (from what we are being told by politicans) that planning is going to be a lot harder to get for new estates???
    But maybe that was just me being "naive" believing politicians!!

swim2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if building has started on this "new" estate?

I do wonder how was planning permission granted, as I thought
    (from what we are being told by politicans) that planning is going to be a lot harder to get for new estates???
    But maybe that was just me being "naive" believing politicians!!

Probably another 500 new shoebox-sized Houses and still the only Public recreation point for the entire area is the Crescent Shopping Centre :mad:

Our Planning Office is merrily creating work for our next regeneration project in 20 years time - Building massive Estates with no outlet for young People anywhere in any form whatsoever.

- This is beyond a sick joke.

Does this mean that the planning permission for this new estate should not have been let through???
    article from Limerick Leader at the start of February..
    how will the estate be served by the public park if it doesnt go ahead??

LIMERICK County Council has given the go-ahead to a major housing development at Skehacreggaun in Mungret.
    The multimillion euro project, which could provide 25 construction jobs over the next few months, will see 111 houses built on lands just off the main Limerick to Foynes road beside the Westward Ho pub.

According to the plans lodged by developer Kieran Braddish, there will be 22 detached houses, 54 semi-detached houses and 35 terraced homes, along with a creche.

The estate will be served by the yet to be constructed public park in Ballykeeffe, with the developer, in a statement, saying that as many houses as possible will have some view of this green space.

"The proposed scheme, although individual in its own right, is designed with the proposed park as the focus, with streets leading out from the park into various areas of the proposed scheme entailing as many houses with a physical or visual connection to the park and encouraging the use of the park.

"Each individual cluster or area has its own smaller green open space devoted to that section of the neighbourhood. The scheme endeavours to connect with the proposed neighbourhood park and to follow through with the links to the surrounding existing neighbourhood," the statement reads.

Speaking to the Limerick Leader, Mr Braddish said he hoped to begin the first phase of this development by the summer, creating 25 construction jobs lasting 12 months.

"It's a huge risk, but we are very confident because of the location of our site. It is the last 25 acres within the ring roads of Limerick. It is still a part of Fr Russell Road, even though it is on the link road. We believe we have value here, and we are going back to our roots in terms of building low density houses," Mr Braddish said.

"People looking for houses have not gone away, they are just afraid because of the culture the country is in, and they are afraid for their jobs. But we are going to have to stop this negative talk, and become more positive," he said.

The county council granted the development full planning permission with 44 conditions, including the development of a phasing programme which bounds the developers to build an access road from the estate to Ballykeeffe park, the construction of a cycle lane, and public lighting on all access roads.

This park should have been built 10,000 houses ago.. its a disgrace that there is such a high population in raheen/dooradoyle/mungret with no public park. This makes me so mad. This whole town is a field of dreams.

This park should have been built 10,000 houses ago.. its a disgrace that there is such a high population in raheen/dooradoyle/mungret with no public park. This makes me so mad. This whole town is a field of dreams.

Pun is highly inappropriate!!!

Is there anything that can be done about this? Yet more houses to be built and no park.. IT MAKES ME SO F**KING MAD THAT OUR TAX MONEY IS BEING SPENT ON BUST BANKS AND BONUSES. When the people who really need the bailing out dont even have a park to walk and clear their head.

I dont know anything about planning laws, but surely if the park is not going ahead then the planning permission should be taken back...
    If building has not started on it then can it be stopped???
    It is extremely annoying:mad::mad:

I think that all estates need a green area, there are not enough parks and green areas around limerick...

• Advertisement

I dont know anything about planning laws, but surely if the park is not going ahead then the planning permission should be taken back...
    If building has not started on it then can it be stopped???
    It is extremely annoying:mad::mad:

I think that all estates need a green area, there are not enough parks and green areas around limerick...

I live in Dooradoyle and my local Park is in the City Centre - With no parking and if you are lucky enough to get some in the vicinity you pay dearly for the 'privilege'.

- There is no excuse, I'd love to see the Papers run with this and for those responsible to have to admit their negligence, inaction, dereliction of duty and all round incompetence.

I read before that the original site for this Park was subsequently zoned residential and built on - I'd love to know how this could happen? A lot of People are going to assume that someone was simply paid off......

I live in Dooradoyle and my local Park is in the City Centre - With no parking and if you are lucky enough to get some in the vicinity you pay dearly for the 'privilege'.

- There is no excuse, I'd love to see the Papers run with this and for those responsible to have to admit their negligence, inaction, dereliction of duty and all round incompetence.

I read before that the original site for this Park was subsequently zoned residential and built on - I'd love to know how this could happen? A lot of People are going to assume that someone was simply paid off......

I totally agree.. and i love your location.. LIMWRECK!! Classic

I totally agree.. and i love your location.. LIMWRECK!! Classic

I'm starting to hate my location that little bit more each day.....

I'm starting to hate my location that little bit more each day.....

Again i agree.. :)

I would love to see the papers run with this, or someone to be held accountable. But I won't hold my breathe for anything to happen!!

Mods could I please bump this older than 2 days thread intentionally in the interests of context and could you please refrain from arbitrarily locking it in the interests of standards in moderation?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/community/limerick_councillors_paid_more_than_1_3m_last_year_1_2724258
    The top claimant for 2010 in County Limerick was Cathaoirleach Richard Butler, who took home some €51,752 according to the figures.

€ 5 1 , 7 5 2

What in the name of *#$% would you be doing day on day and where, how and with who to ever somehow manage to spend €1000 a week on expenses?

- In my opinion a Monaco Playboy would stuggle to blow that level of cash.

Am sickened.

Advertisement