Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a Car under 10K

• 04-04-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭

Need a new car, my own is sold. I'm toying with getting my first diesel but I hate diesel cars. I haven't had anything under 150bhp in a long time, some of my previous cars were a 205 GTi, Golf Gti, Subaru WRX, Nissan 200Sx, Bmw 3 series, Mercedes C class.
    I want good mpg but I also want to be able to overtake without scaring myself, is there any such thing?
    I'd like to keep it under 2.0L
    I've a honda s2000 stuck in my head at the moment but my older self is telling me to get an Accord diesel, Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

s2000 listen to your younger self. the only thing about a diesel is anything goes wrong its going to cost more than a petrol to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

A lot of diesels are quicker at overtaking now with Gobs of torque. Get an extended test drive (maybe a whole week end ) in any modern diesel and you'll be converted.
    If you want the best of both worlds buy a cheap diesel and a week end petrol. I sold a Rio diesel recently and couldn't believe how quick it was, but then again 110 bhp As much as an original GTI and loads more torque 235 Newton metres .... ultimate sleeper & 60 mpg and get an old convertable for the week ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The only thing drawing me to a diesel is the mpg other than that I detest them, just a little concerned about the economy of the s2000.

I like the alfa gt's as well but I really need something reliable.

Bigus wrote: »
    A lot of diesels are quicker at overtaking now with Gobs of torque. Get an extended test drive (maybe a whole week end ) in any modern diesel and you'll be converted.

had an audi tdi for the last week, I'm not converted:)

• Advertisement

Any other suggestions besides the Rio Bigus, I just don't think i'm a rio man.

So has to look good, have over 150bhp, Be petrol and have good mpg?

A bit left field alright maybe even out of the ball park ... but that's me.

00 on MR2 ?

40 mpg. I bought one brand new in 2000. Loved the lightness of it & LSD for dougnuts, althought clutch was weak with all that mid engined grip.

Ok MR2 not over 150 bhp but only 975 kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

possible middle ground between an Accord diesel and a petrol sports car ?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201012197311680

200 bhp, lots of torque but 30+ mpg not impossible

You'd want to be robbing Saabs at the moment, bit of a Rover syndrome going on even without head gaskets going, parent company gone to wall ... no dealers and maybe parts questions in peoples minds whether valid or not . also old old tech. Ok if you bought above example for 3k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

would a TT be too "handbag" for you?

Bigus wrote: »
    A bit left field alright maybe even out of the ball park ... but that's me.

00 on MR2 ?

40 mpg. I bought one brand new in 2000. Loved the lightness of it & LSD for dougnuts, althought clutch was weak with all that mid engined grip.

hadn't considered an mr2, are there different models?

40mpg :eek: I think i better have a test drive in one, Not a Toyota fan, the car blocking my way always seems to be one.
    What are they like to overtake, 50 -80mph bracket?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i just bought an Audi S3 the other day.
    1.8T Quattro
    remapped to circa 260ish BHP

on the motorway at 70mph i was getting just under 40mpg :eek: couldnt believe it, of course according to the obc!

i wanted something relatively cheap, decent performance so i wouldnt get bored (this is my 4th car during the term of this insurance policy, 1 year :eek:)

nice comfort creatures too inc. heated electric seats, climate control, 6CD, ipod connection with headunit controls, xenons, Bose system with sub woofer.......and more.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    would a TT be too "handbag" for you?

The bird loves them:D

Audi I just don't know, my dad had a few and he's hardly any hair left, People say audi are great cars, my experience with them has been the opposite.

The bird loves them:D

Audi I just don't know, my dad had a few and he's hardly any hair left, People say audi are great cars, my experience with them has been the opposite.

tell me about it, i was nervous buying it tbh, as i know nothing, absolutly nothing about the VAG cars, dont know where to start with it, with my history being in Jap cars, Evo, ITR etc and BMW's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

kceire wrote: »
    i just bought an Audi S3 the other day.
    1.8T Quattro
    remapped to circa 260ish BHP

on the motorway at 70mph i was getting just under 40mpg :eek: couldnt believe it, of course according to the obc!

i wanted something relatively cheap, decent performance so i wouldnt get bored (this is my 4th car during the term of this insurance policy, 1 year :eek:)

nice comfort creatures too inc. heated electric seats, climate control, 6CD, ipod connection with headunit controls, xenons, Bose system with sub woofer.......and more.

Sorry for derailing the thread,but have you got any pics?Was also considering one of these for my next car.How much you pay if you dont mind me asking

peasant wrote: »
    possible middle ground between an Accord diesel and a petrol sports car ?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201012197311680

200 bhp, lots of torque but 30+ mpg not impossible

Did you spot any Viggens for sale?, think if I was going Saab that's what i'd want, there was a nice blue one on adverts a while ago.

Sorry for derailing the thread,but have you got any pics?Was also considering one of these for my next car.How much you pay if you dont mind me asking

CIMG0006-2.jpg

CIMG0011-1.jpg

CIMG0009-1.jpg

got it for a lot less than the asking prices on donedeal, carzone etc etc
    i was buying at the right time that a seller was selling ;)
    loads of history with the car, and all owners traceable, fully stamped by Audi and the owner is a well know car Enthuasitist (sp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cp9a

Have a look at the Nissan Pulsar Vzr. 1.6 with around 170bhp and has the poke for overtaking. and you'l get a good one for around 4k or even a Civic Type R.

cp9a wrote: »
    Have a look at the Nissan Pulsar Vzr. 1.6 with around 170bhp and has the poke for overtaking. and you'l get a good one for around 4k or even a Civic Type R.

for some reason i dont think these are on the OP's list tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-JDT-/201013197398756/advert?channel=CARS

You mentioned you liked the Alfa GT.

• I bought one a few months ago and absolutely love it.
    • I was like yourself worried about reliability etc...
    • I decided however it would something I'd regret not buying.
    • So far so good no problems, but again I cant properly judge considering I only have mine a few months.
    • That said something I can tell you is that they are great to drive. Loads of pull in them, they do about 50k mpg, maybe more maybe less depending where and how your driving it.
    • They look stunning! People will turn heads to look at it gauranteed.
    • Leather seats, cruise control, 6 speed gear box, bose speakers!! what more do you want.
    • So for under 10k the one I have put on there to me looks like decent value. You'd get a few quid off too I'm sure. I paid more for my '04 one a few months back.:rolleyes:
    Anyway go have a look. You wont be disappointed I promise you that much.

• So far so good no problems, but again I cant properly judge considering I only have mine a few months.

I test drove one and was impressed, it has everything i'm looking for, leather, cruise control and economy.
    What kind of milage had yours on it? Did anything at all go wrong, no warning lights? Funny electrics?
    The GT's neck and neck with the S2000 at the moment:o

I test drove one and was impressed, it has everything i'm looking for, leather, cruise control and economy.
    What kind of milage had yours on it? Did anything at all go wrong, no warning lights? Funny electrics?
    The GT's neck and neck with the S2000 at the moment:o

The things to look out as far as I can see are..

Electrics. Might need someone to have a look at it for you to be sure. Otherwise do what I did check their all working and hope for the best.
    So far so good for me.

ERG Valve - This needs to be cleaned at its service and can cause problems with performance if its not cleaned. Mine was replaced when I bought it cause they tried cleaning it but a warning light was still coming up. Once it was replaced its grand. Just need to keep it cleaned by the sounds of things.

Water pump is one that goes afaik. Change timing belt and pump at 60k I think it was. Again mine was done around 60k and I now have 79k miles on.

Other than that I cant think of anything to watch for. Eh try get one with 17's on because they look cooler?..

Mine has 16's. Will be trying to find a set of 17's at some point.

I will have this car for quite some time.

If its any use to you I had a similar dilemma to you when purchasing mine.
    I thought about buyin an RX8 just like your thinkin of the s2000

GT for me won over because I just love that alfa design and the fuel consumption is great for such a sporty car being deisel.

Its my first Alfa and it definately wont be my last.

I've attached a few pics of mine for you to have a look at.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/republic-of-ireland/

Any other questions the lads on here are great. I'm hoping to go to one of the meets soon see all the other Alfa's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Those headlamps look alot like the Bugatti Veyrons :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Did you spot any Viggens for sale?, think if I was going Saab that's what i'd want, there was a nice blue one on adverts a while ago.

Here's one from the UK - convertible though and I'm not sure whether the VRT etc would keep it within your budget:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C135589/

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Those headlamps look alot like the Bugatti Veyrons :P

i never thought of it to be fair but now you mention it..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Would you not consider a petrol accord? Or even a euro r accord?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-JDT-/201013197398756/advert?channel=CARS

You mentioned you liked the Alfa GT.

• I bought one a few months ago and absolutely love it.
    • I was like yourself worried about reliability etc...
    • I decided however it would something I'd regret not buying.
    • That said something I can tell you is that they are great to drive. Loads of pull in them, they do about 50k mpg, maybe more maybe less depending where and how your driving it.
    • They look stunning! People will turn heads to look at it gauranteed.
    • Leather seats, cruise control, 6 speed gear box, bose speakers!! what more do you want.
    • So for under 10k the one I have put on there to me looks like decent value. You'd get a few quid off too I'm sure. I paid more for my '04 one a few months back.:rolleyes:
    Anyway go have a look. You wont be disappointed I promise you that much.

:D:D:D I think That's the exact GT I test drove around the Phoenix park, you bought it around Phibsborough direction?:) I was getting a terrible trade in value only for that I would have bought it. It was a very nice car, well wear.
    Thanks for the tips on buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Go with an s2k! I've owned a good few Honda's, 5 of them were "R" badged and the s2k is my favourite so far with my accord euro R a close second.

I have no problems to report with economy, €46 in the tank brings it to full and I'd get 450km's out of that non vtec mixed town and m50 driving. I've driven mine from dublin/cork/galway and was able to step out of the car without being crippled from the seating position, unless your very tall there comfortable enough.

Economy only really suffer's if you have a heavy foot and vtec non stop but even at that its not as if it dissapears onfront of your eyes.

Watch out for rust on uk imports, I've seen some dodgy flaked and corroded shocks , trackrods exhausts ect. Jdm's dont seem to suffer from it and dont have an increased insurance loading. Also the plastic rear screen roofs on early models, over time it turns yellow and will need replacement and its not cheap, your talking €600 from Honda for the new perspex refitted! Check for the known wear points on the roof too, behind your head on both driver & passenger side and behind the windows on both sides too.

Re twitchyness of rear end's, its not what it's made out to be imo. If the car had geometery set up correctly or is set correctly on coilovers all the better.

The only downside I had was coming from the accord which was so comfy was that your prone to feeling bumps and more road noise with the roof is the s2k, but taking a spin on a nice clear night with the top down more than makes up for it!

The best bet if you havn't done so is to go and drive both and make your mind up from there!

• Advertisement

damm you eireal, here was me about to got Diesel:mad:

this one seems too cheap, wonder what's up with it http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3646265

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

It's abit cheap for an 00, could be sitting there awhile and they just want rid of it, but It's got the duckbill rear spoiler which Honda wont sell on it's own, you need to also buy the front lip from them but there's none on that one.

Its only speculation but if you check it out give the front end a good suss as incase it had a tap at some stage.

There's 2 silver 00's on carzone, one's a GT spec (hardtop roof) and it's 10750, the others 12500.

:D:D:D I think That's the exact GT I test drove around the Phoenix park, you bought it around Phibsborough direction?:) I was getting a terrible trade in value only for that I would have bought it. It was a very nice car, well wear.
    Thanks for the tips on buying.

no bother. I bought it in premiercars.ie down beside the ford garage in phibsboro right enough. Decent fellas, gave me a decent trade in. Was sooooooo bored of family saloons.
    the GT has solved that.:D

as for the s2000 that your lookin at i think theyre great as well. Thing is its 2 seater. GT has back seats which I've already used a few times for giving lifts to town etc..
    If you dont need them go for it.

maybe something like this should be on your list though as well if 2 seaters are a maybe. Crackin lookin car and i'm not a massive new style bmw fan

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/Z4/Z4-2.5I-/201007196944278/advert?channel=CARS

eireal wrote: »
    It's abit cheap for an 00, could be sitting there awhile and they just want rid of it, but It's got the duckbill rear spoiler which Honda wont sell on it's own, you need to also buy the front lip from them but there's none on that one.

Its only speculation but if you check it out give the front end a good suss as incase it had a tap at some stage.

There's 2 silver 00's on carzone, one's a GT spec (hardtop roof) and it's 10750, the others 12500.

OP, i would save all the hassle and buy eireal's S2K :D

Full?id=2608867

kceire wrote: »
    OP, i would save all the hassle and buy eireal's S2K :D

Full?id=2608867

The price is right, the milage is right, but it's bright yeller :(
    Lovely car though.

Advertisement