Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been living in Galway?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I went to the races in July/August of 2007 and stayed in the city for the whole week. I loved the buzz of the place so I decided to stay up an extra week to see what Galway was like without the madness of the races. I found people to be very friendly and fell in love with the city instantly. That was it for me, I had to move up!
    I moved here in November 2007 for a job in Parkmore which I (luckily!!) still have. I live close to work which means I probably don't venture into the city center as often as I should; probably just once a week if even that much! I plan on doing something about that this summer if we actually get a sunny evening or two. :pac:

So how long have you been living in Galway and what made you move here?

How long have you been living in Galway? 65 votes

1-2 years
    0%
    3-5 years
    15%
    Stench BlossomsXineybrianthebardcooperguypoisonatedDrakmord[-0-]dmcg90honerbrightBob_Harris 10 votes
    6-10 years
    26%
    SimiJIZZLORDpointofnoreturnShrykeMattKidjkfordeMrs OBumblejenno86Edgedinbluesp1kezAcoshla[Deleted User]Dr. Kenneth NoisewaterJavajunkiealwaysadubCarolyynstellarartois 17 votes
    10+ years
    21%
    AthAnRiDeadly DeltabikofendfagoPopeBuckfastXVIs_carnagestunt_penguinZzippyGalwaypsbanshee_bonesSvalbardgeekychickspender.j 14 votes
    All of my life
    36%
    CorinthianWompa1Fey!Mars Barpadi89mercuromanSea DevilsgalwaybabeinisboffintallmanMadame Razzdilalliobertsmomcivis_liberalisFoxx92happyoutscanKeyser SözebethmsiltirockerStarie1975 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

3-5 years
    Moved to Galway at the beginning of September, 2008.

Mr. Xiney had just graduated from college, and got a job here. Also, we thought there'd be more opportunities for me here than in Sligo, where we were living and I was working a minimum wage job with crazy nutso hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

3-5 years
    I moved here for college in Sept 08 and I have to say it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made! Love this city.

All my life (bar periods away for college or work)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

6-10 years
    Bout 4 and a half years. Absolutely love the place. But might have to leave it next month :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

All of my life
    Since 1999. Hard to believe I'm here this long :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 walshkvn

All of my life
    I moved here for college in '93 and haven't left since. love the city, the people, the crack, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I first saw the light in Galway regional.
    Decided to hang around.

6-10 years
    This is my 5th year.. Graduated in 08 and working here since. Love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

All of my life
    10+ (if you ignore that big chunk of gone-ness in the middle)
    Less than 5 this time around tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Whole life bar one year (lived in OZ, and 4months (lived in Ennis!). Also never been to the Races with the exception of once for an hour when I was 11, even tho I can see it from my house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Lived there on and off since 2000
    I've been away for the past 16 months, but will definitely return again one day when I'm ready to settle down... The place just feels like home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

3-5 years
    tman wrote: »
    Lived there on and off since 2000
    I've been away for the past 16 months, but will definitely return again one day when I'm ready to settle down... The place just feels like home :)

It really, really does! I have some traveling in me... Need to get that out of the way in the next two years or so and then I'll come back and settle down I reckon.

I'd actually love a house in the middle of nowhere in Connemara. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm a native although I'm usually only in Galway at the weekends as I work in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

3-5 years
    One year of college last year, moved up now for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

All my life, a graduate of Rahoon flats!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

10+ years
    Been here since November '02, moved here as my brother was in college here at the time and it was easy but I fell in love with the place! I was gone for a couple of years but just had to return...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

6-10 years
    I moved here from Athlone (where I grew up) at the start of 2007 to start a job here. Living in Oranmore now but was living in the city for almost 3 years. Have to say I really enjoyed my time in Galway, had a rtough idea of what the place was like before I moved down as Athlone is only up the road and I had plenty of friends living down here already for college/work/whatever. I'm actually moving to Donegal (work again) in one week but I can honestly say I loved my time here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

10+ years
    Lived there for 6 years bar two summers when I was away.... Loved it, moved up after the leaving cert, went to college and stuck around for bit afterwards.
    Just moved to Dublin in October last year for College... probably settle down in Galway at some point in my life! work permitting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I'm from Galway, get me out of here.....

Actually, I'm happy to stay here for the rest of my life. My parents and sibling are Galwegian as is my wife and therefore so are my kids. I've got a tinge of maroon blood in my veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

10+ years
    9 years this year. One of the best decisions of my life. Galway is young, funky and cosmopolitan, and just the perfect size for my liking too. In fact, if it were a guy, I'd be deeply in love :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

All my life... I do like it a lot, I still find it facinating as the place is constantly changing..
    I think it's a place that has everything and not to big/busy...
    To all the blow-ins newcomers, It makes me proud that you like this city, Be proud of it yerselves:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

All of my life
    I arrived here in the early to mid-eighties when most of the traffic was in the other direction.

Been living in Galway city or county since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I hope to join ye in september (Provided my Leaving cert goes as planned) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

3-5 years
    Since September 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Lived all my life 4 miles out from city center,except for a few short spells away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

6-10 years
    Moved to Galway for college in 2003, did two years of that then moved to Cork, then moved back to Galway for about a year, then off to Canada for a year, moved back to the city then in June 2008 and moved to somewhere random in the county in 2009 for a boy :)

But I love Galway City and county so much, will never leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

3-5 years
    Spadina wrote: »
    Moved to Galway for college in 2003, did two years of that then moved to Cork, then moved back to Galway for about a year, then off to Canada for a year, moved back to the city then in June 2008 and moved to somewhere random in the county in 2009 for a boy :)

But I love Galway City and county so much, will never leave.

I was wondering if your name had anything to do with Spadina in Toronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

6-10 years
    Xiney wrote: »
    I was wondering if your name had anything to do with Spadina in Toronto

Yep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

6-10 years
    Moved here in 2007 from Dublin and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Still love the place and the general friendliness and easygoing attitude to life. This was one of the first contrasts, in particular at work, that I noticed compared to Dublin. I really think that in terms of quality of life it must be one of the best cities to live not just in Ireland but anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

On and off since 1998...on again since 2007 this time round... Galway can be a lovely place to live!

Advertisement