Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second hand tyres around naas

• 04-04-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

looking for somewhere that supply and fit second hand tyres around naas area.need these for nct so they don't need to be brand new but enough tread

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

should you not need tyres with enough tread all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Am I the only one who thinks this is a vey frightening thread?

From the op post I am assuming that he currently is driving a car that he knows has bald tyres, and is now trying to buy a set of almost bald gyres in order to fool the nct people and get a cert to allow him to continue driving on unsafe tyres for the next year or two?

You are aware that you can die from driving a vehicle on bald tyres Nd you can also kill othe road users as a result of your stupidity.

I am not one for the high horse, but unless there is a vey good reason (and I can't think of one) I really do hope you fail the nct and are kept off the road.

Your attitude and lack of responsibility to yourself and others is a disgrace.

I agree with the sentiment however it is also quite likely that the OP has tires that are quite close to the 1.6mm requirement and so needs to replace them, part worns generally have a good lash of thread on them to keep you going for 8000 miles ish at least in most cases. If however the OP only changes tires when an NCT is due and drives on baldies inbetween tests than he should be hung, drawn and quartered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Tyres are one of the most important items on your car from the perspective of your safety and hte safety of others. I know I would be happier with a cheap NEW tyre than a second hand of any brand where you have no clue of the history or why it was removed in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If the OP is driving on balds should be shot. A mate of mine drove on a badly bald tire, we repeatedly told him to change it and even offered to buy the new tire. He lost control and went into a ditch but luckily was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The amount of people who I hear coming into the garage looking for something 'just' to get them through the nct is laughable on the one hand and down right worrying on the other!

Or my other favorite when you point out a tyre or other fault..'sure its only the wifes car' WHAT THE FCUK DOES THAT MEAN???:mad:

Or my other favorite when you point out a tyre or other fault..'sure its only the wifes car' WHAT THE FCUK DOES THAT MEAN???:mad:

Lol, I imagine most of those numpties are trying to imply that cheap and cheerful is fine for the wifes car but they would need the high performance stuff as their mickey is so large :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Would you be happy with you/and or your family drivng around on second hand brakes OP?

Tyres are equally critical to safety.

Do remember folks that many 2nd hand cars come with part worn tyres and most come with 2nd hand brakes ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    Do remember folks that many 2nd hand cars come with part worn tyres and most come with 2nd hand brakes ;)

Very good :D but most used cars also come with an NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think ye scared the OP off....:D

It should be illegal to sell used tyres. Nobosy knows the stresses that have already been put on the tyre in its previous life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this has been done to death.

Coby Autos on the Naas Road Dublin do part worn tyres.

Personally I'd rather have part worn quality tyres than new chinese rubbish tyres if I was on a tiny budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Under the current regs, aren't all tyres sold in Ireland supposed to have this "E" mark. I presume that this must mean they reach certain standards and cut out the cheap rubbish and the dangers they bring, in which case, I would prefer to not to have second hands if I had the option to have even cheap new tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I am one of those that survived the recession in the 80's, and regularly bought second hand tyres to do so.

Before the life is black and white/or simply right or wrong, read piss all experience brigade row in here, #

what is wrong with a decent second hand tyre vs the alternative, ie a bald tyre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There is a place beyond Kilcock that also does them, name escapes me (not the breaker in Kilcock tho).

It amazes me how snobby some people are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Avns1s wrote: »
    Under the current regs, aren't all tyres sold in Ireland supposed to have this "E" mark. .

When they came out of the factory they were good, yes. Who knows home many kerbs and potholes a used E marked tyre has banged through in it's life?

JHMEG wrote: »
    There is a place beyond Kilcock that also does them, name escapes me (not the breaker in Kilcock tho).

Snobby or safety concious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I dont think its a question about being snobby to be honest. The main concern about part worn tyres is you simply dont know where the tyre has come from and what condition its in internally.

Most part worn tyres come with 4mm or less thread depth. A new branded tyre comes with around 8mm. Tyre manufacturers recommend tyres are replaced at 3mm as their performance is reduced significantly there after.

Read this - http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/news/news070701.html

VeVeX wrote: »
    I dont think its a question about being snobby to be honest.
    When the alarms are coming from owners of luxury SUVs, I think it's snobbery.

As someone already said, 2nd hand cars come with 2nd hand tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I doubt people when they buy a car change all the tyres. Yet you don't know anything of the history of those tyres either. So theres a logic disconnect there somewhere.

Cheap new tyres could very likely be complete rubbish, compared to partly worn tyre of a decent make. Last time I went for tyres I couldn't get a brand I'd headed of in stock anywhere in Dublin. They were all these mad names I'd never heard off. Then on asking for a known brand, or a tyre model that you know was good from reviews, you'd think you were asking for a 2 headed horse with the responses you got. In the end I got some unknowns and true to form they are complete rubbish. TBH I think my old tyres were about 10x better. I'll never buy a unknown brand again.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

colm_mcm wrote: »
    this has been done to death.

Coby Autos on the Naas Road Dublin do part worn tyres.

Personally I'd rather have part worn quality tyres than new chinese rubbish tyres if I was on a tiny budget.

Absolutely.. I've driven on some of those chinese tyres and had scary moments in the wet.

This is a good website to purchase tyres:
    http://camskill.co.uk/products.php
    Only problem though is finding a place willing to fit them.

• Advertisement

David09 wrote: »
    Absolutely.. I've driven on some of those chinese tyres and had scary moments in the wet.....

Even in the dry....:eek:

Who do you get to fit the tyres. Any mechanics I know won't do it, and obvious no shop selling tyres will either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

When the alarms are coming from owners of luxury SUVs, I think it's snobbery.

As someone already said, 2nd hand cars come with 2nd hand tyres.

Well then based on the information ive linked to by that rational 30% of second hand cars have dangerously unsafe tyres.

Does that make buying part worn tyres ok???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BostonB wrote: »
    Who do you get to fit the tyres. Any mechanics I know won't do it, and obvious no shop selling tyres will either.
    www.eiretyres.ie have a list of fitters. Not all tyre shops will refuse to fit owner-supplied tyres - business is business, after all....

www.tyreland.ie supply and fit brand-name part-worn tyres. They are in the Glasnevin Industrial Estate. They will also fit customer-supplied tyres.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Hammertime wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a vey frightening thread?

From the op post I am assuming that he currently is driving a car that he knows has bald tyres, and is now trying to buy a set of almost bald gyres in order to fool the nct people and get a cert to allow him to continue driving on unsafe tyres for the next year or two?

You are aware that you can die from driving a vehicle on bald tyres Nd you can also kill othe road users as a result of your stupidity.

I am not one for the high horse, but unless there is a vey good reason (and I can't think of one) I really do hope you fail the nct and are kept off the road.

Your attitude and lack of responsibility to yourself and others is a disgrace.

OMG! I personally wouldn't put part worns on my car as I think its false economy but you cannot die from having bald tyres on your car! you can die or kill someone by crashing a car as a result of careless or inappropriate driving regardless of condition of tyres, and BTW, a bald tyre has MORE grip on a dry road than a fully threaded tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Andrew33 wrote: »
    and BTW, a bald tyre has MORE grip on a dry road than a fully threaded tyre.

Ah, but this is Ireland - when do we have dry roads? :D

We've part exchanged van tyres in the past couple of years. Vans came in on Dunlop or Bridgestone or some premium tyre, but we had to switch them for Mud/Snow tyres due to the work the vans do. Technically the tyres that came off the vans from factory are used - but have less than 30km on (sometimes under 10).

I know that's an unusual situation and the places selling used tyres aren't likely to come across them in that state, but I'm under the impression that the part worns are usually summer tyres from places that switch to winters.

Personally, I'd rather have a half worn Conti that's been inspected by a professional than a brand new Triangle tyre.

I was driving a Vecta with practically brand new Triangle tyres on the front in drizzle last week and had to crawl around all the roundabouts I came to, after trying to take the first one at normal speed and nearly taking out the barrier around the footpath. Didn't do the clutch much good taking off from a standstill either, and if I planted the foot in 3rd I'd get the flashing yellow on the dash :eek:

Last time a set of those tyres are being authorised to go on one of our cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BostonB wrote: »
    I doubt people when they buy a car change all the tyres. Yet you don't know anything of the history of those tyres either. So theres a logic disconnect there somewhere.

They were on the car while the previous owner was using it, meaning they most likely were fine and the previous owner was happy they were ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I would like to add, I always replace tyres with same make/model/size as originally suppied on car from new, a full set for my yoke is €400 which typically will last 60000km which is approx 15-16 months which works out at €25 per month per set or less than €1 per tyre per day! OP, BUY NEW TYRES!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

People defending the OP's position and calling other snobs are clearly missing the fact he only wants them for the NCT and then wants to puit his old ones on. When the OP or someone like him hits a family member of yours or w/e I hope you can still defend his choice for poor worn tyres.

OP if your that stuck for money drive up the North. Derrylin is a border town just past Cavan in Fermanagh. Try before Newry if you have to. Sister got size 14 tyres, good quality, not the best but better than part worn etc. They cost €30 a tyre fitted! No excuse tbh

I got 14" Bridgestone tyres for 45 euro a tyre fitted and balanced. €180 for 4 new tyres fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yawns: Why would someone get tyres for the NCT and then go to the trouble of putting the bald ones back on. this thread is getting worse and worse.

• Advertisement

Sorry thought I had read he only wanted for NCT and would replace them again. Dunno where I got that from. Either way it could be cheaper for him to get up to a border town and get new tyres than old worn ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

autodepot just off the naas road sell them, exit 6 i think, i got part worn michelins off him over a year ago, two of them still had the strip of paint around them, the back ones still have a lot of thread on them and the front will need changin soon,

4 tyres fitted and balance for under 170

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

There's a guy in Tallaght bringing in tyres from Germany part worn. Its against the law to fix a puncture in the Germany (I think). Something to do with Autobhans...

Know a few people who have bought tyres from him and are well impressed with quality. All known brands.

Yawns wrote: »

I got 14" Bridgestone tyres for 45 euro a tyre fitted and balanced. €180 for 4 new tyres fitted.

Was that in the north also. I was quoted €80 each everywhere in Dublin for those.

14" are now considered very small tyres. My local tyre place is doing no-name brand 14" for €25 fitted.

Which reminds me. Part worn Dunlops for €25, or brand new Fookyu for €25. Which would you prefer?

Yawns wrote: »
    Sorry thought I had read he only wanted for NCT and would replace them again. Dunno where I got that from. Either way it could be cheaper for him to get up to a border town and get new tyres than old worn ones.

Just because a tyre is new doesn't mean its good.

• Advertisement

But if you read my first post about going up to get the new tyres you would see I said they were good quality tyres. Not some chineese rubbish muck

And yes €45 for Bridgestone blaanced & fitted was up in Derrylin. It's just a few miles before you get to Enniskillen. Get new tyres and do a big shop and you've saved a tidy sum of money overall even factoring the fuel cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There's an area of personal responsibility here Folks, I'd be reasonably sure that a good percentage of Folks cruising around on other people cast-offs leave them on almost until the wire is on show.....

Knock down someone's Kid 'cause you had badly worn tyres and see how far your sincere and heartfelt apology brings you through the Inquest and Insurance Assessor's many forms.

- In fairness tyres are not prohibitively expensive in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I don't really care about being accused of anything on boards, be it an unsafe driver or whether I drive on completely bald tyres.

I also don't believe that I needed to point this out in the opening post to get the answer to the question I originally asked. Thanks to those who provided suggestions to my query.

Mods:feel free to do what you like with this post, my query is answered and will also provide info to anyone else looking for similar advice.

Cheers

Raiser wrote: »
    There's an area of personal responsibility here Folks, I'd be reasonably sure that a good percentage of Folks cruising around on other people cast-offs leave them on almost until the wire is on show.....

Knock down someone's Kid 'cause you had badly worn tyres and see how far your sincere and heartfelt apology brings you through the Inquest and Insurance Assessor's many forms.

- In fairness tyres are not prohibitively expensive in the first place?

Except we're not talking about badly worn tyres or dangerous tyres.

So thats irrelevent.

Cost might be relative. 400+ isnt nothing to a lot of people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement