Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Ring on RTE radio 1

Options
  • 04-04-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I refuse to believe him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

missed him,what did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Basicly the summer will be only slightly less rubbish than the last 3. He was talking about the sunspot cycle, and that we should have a half decent 2011. I may have topped myself by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

your joking don't think i could handle another s##t summer,would have expected a half decent one after the last few and coldest winter in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I don't believe he correctly predicted the winter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Min wrote: »
    I don't believe he correctly predicted the winter weather.

He said we would hav 16 days of snow. And he predicted the March one.

This guy has been very accurate, hope he's wrong though. He said May would be our summer :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He said we would hav 16 days of snow. And he predicted the March one.

This guy has been very accurate, hope he's wrong though. He said May would be our summer :(

Had far more than 16 days of snow here, still have snow from last Tuesday's snowstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

He was still predicting a warmer than average winter in early January but he changed his mind since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Is there an online link to a replay of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Regarding Ken's weather forecasts published here on these forums for the winter, I objectively analysed them with what actually happened and unfortunatley I can report I found absolutely no correlation between what he predicted and what the weather was.

The average person guessing would probably have had a better accuracy rate.

Did Ken mention on the radio about his book on how to read your cat's paws - 'Pawmistry'?

If people believe he can read cat's paws then I guess they might also believe his weather forecasts. Personally I don't anymore than I believe in the tooth fairy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snow ghost wrote: »
    If people believe he can read cat's paws then I guess they might also believe his weather forecasts. Personally I don't anymore than I believe in the tooth fairy.

Any eejit can read a cat's paws. It is when they start interpreting them that is cause for concern.

Any eejit can read a cat's paws. It is when they start interpreting them that is cause for concern.

I had a rattle at this reading a cat's paw myself Deep... it said in cat paw hieroglyphics "If you don't put me down now sonny jim, I'll scratch your fecking eyes out". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

on Todayfm now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

He also has a write up in todays Examiner with a listing of his accurate predictions to date :rolleyes:

He has predicted a mixed bag for the summer coming....Really?! Are you serious Ken? A mild, wet summer in Ireland...surely not. :rolleyes:

See here, Examiner article

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Speak Now

SeaFields wrote: »
    He also has a write up in todays Examiner with a listing of his accurate predictions to date :rolleyes:

He has predicted a mixed bag for the summer coming....Really?! Are you serious Ken? A mild, wet summer in Ireland...surely not. :rolleyes:

See here, Examiner article

Wow how vague is that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

Wow how vague is that :rolleyes:
    I don't recall saying "July will (see)hardly any days when the sun will be free from the invasive presence of frequent scattered clouds". In fact July, I believe, will mainly see rain in the second week and a good proportion of sunny days.
    Nor, for the record, do I think "2010 will be wetter than average for most of the country". Rather, many counties may be drier overall and the rest only slightly wetter.
    There is a danger when being reported that in order to get a good storyline particular words get expanded upon out of context. I usually ask for the opportunity to vet what is going to be used, but mostly this request is not granted.
    www.predictweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lpryanm

Hi Ken, On TodayFM you said that the last week of May and first week in June would be good and also that the last week of June and first week of July would be pretty good too. I would be happy if we get this and maybe an odd day of good weather here and there around these dry spells.

Here's hoping it's better than the last few years anyway.

lpryanm wrote: »
    Hi Ken, On TodayFM you said that the last week of May and first week in June would be good and also that the last week of June and first week of July would be pretty good too. I would be happy if we get this and maybe an odd day of good weather here and there around these dry spells.

Here's hoping it's better than the last few years anyway.
    Well I think so. And the summer weather will be at the right time and not right at the end of the season. Last June also had some nice spells if you recall. I do have a summer report with some county-specific maps available from the website at http://www.predictweather.co.nz/ArticleShow.aspx?ID=274&type=home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Michael Gallagher the Donegal Postman is promising a good summer ....albeit in Donegal in fairness.

Michael is very reliable :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Michael Gallagher the Donegal Postman is promising a good summer ....albeit in Donegal in fairness.

Michael is very reliable :)
    I'd trust a postman anyday with a weather prediction, or a farmer, or a fisherman or surveyor, a pilot, a flower or a cow.
    But not a computer model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Its not the computer model that provides the forecast, its the interpretation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its defo going to be a good Summer now if postie in Donegal says. Hes always right (Well once in Winter):)

shoegirl wrote: »
    Its not the computer model that provides the forecast, its the interpretation of it.
    Incorrect. The interpretation IS the forecast. That's what everybody gets to read and hear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ken I have been an avid follower of your forecasts and so far your predictions of a dry and warm september last year and a bitter cold winter have been correct. What effect if any would the eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano in Iceland potentially have on our weather especially with regards to the summer. Another Cold winter would suit me fine if it meant as chance of a summer:D All we need is winter tyres and its grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Stinicker wrote: »
    Ken I have been an avid follower of your forecasts and so far your predictions of a dry and warm september last year and a bitter cold winter have been correct. What effect if any would the eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano in Iceland potentially have on our weather especially with regards to the summer. Another Cold winter would suit me fine if it meant as chance of a summer:D All we need is winter tyres and its grand!

Just for the record, Ken predicted a good September and a warmer than average winter for 2009/10.

I've nothing against Ken and am very interested in his methods but I can't ignore the above incorrect statement from Stinicker.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Joe Public is correct. I had predicted a cold start to winter but thought it would warm up enough in the second week of february to give a warmer winter overall. That's because I had expected the sun to wake up and begin cycle #24 around the last months of last year, but it is only just waking up now. The sun determines temperatures for a season, the moon determines the timing of events. The sun is more difficult to predict because its cycles vary more in range.
    As to Eyjafjallajökull, I do not expect any volcano ever to make the slightest bit of difference to any season. Pinatubo didn't in 1991. I have an article proving this going up on my website tomorrow.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kenring wrote: »
    As to Eyjafjallajökull, I do not expect any volcano ever to make the slightest bit of difference to any season. Pinatubo didn't in 1991. I have an article proving this going up on my website tomorrow.
    cheers

no offense but i hope you're wrong;) however, i look forward to reading the article nontheless.

no offense but i hope you're wrong;) however, i look forward to reading the article nontheless.
    Having temporary trouble loading the article, but if anyone wants to email me for it I'll happily sent it out as a pdf attachment. Basically I have graphed Auckland, Dublin and Tokyo(for trans-planet verification) temp and sun levels from metservice data, for years before and after 1991, between 1981-1999, and there is absolutely no post-1991 spike anywhere, either up or down. The Pinatubo thing has always been an attempt by climatologist/meteorologists to show that emission gases can affect the atmosphere and therefore change weather/climate both short and longterm by changing temperatures and/or sunshine levels. They have no case, as their own stats show otherwise.
    Ken
    ken@weatherman.co.nz

Ken,

This is on the front page of your website:

"After a short but late sunny spell across Ireland last September, which amounted to last year's total summer, this year everyone is wondering what summer will bring"

Why? It is completely untrue.

I live in Ireland and I recall a fairly good May and a good June... May and June are traditionally 'summer' in the Irish seasons... Autumn (including September) starts at Lunasa in August.

So how did a week in September amount 'to last years total summer'?

What's the go with these completely false claims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

to be fair to the man we are the odd one out in the world. Like left & right being the other way round.

Advertisement