Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did you buy your car?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

02 Octavia vRS

Had an 99 Avensis 2 litre petrol for about 18 months which I found underpowered and not that special give the running costs. When for the Octavia as it was always in the top 5 of the JD Power reliability serveys, had loads of poke and road tax was lower. Much admit its not the prettiest car on the road but is fairly rare and the engine is a cracker. 6 years on and I have no regrets but think it is time to move on, probably to a 535d all going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

97 Almera 3Dr H/B

I bought it because it was cheap and reliable and I will drive it into the ground and pick up another cheap reliable when it dies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Audi A3 2.0L (170 bhp) TDI (Sport spec).

I bought it because I wanted a rocket-ship :D :pac:

Nah, I bought it because I wanted:

a family hatch that would provide a refined and comfortable cabin
    a diesel because I do the miles
    a bit of poke because I spend a lot of time on Motorways and A roads

I bought it in September 2008 because I wanted to wait until the new common-rail diesel engines were available as I really don't like the older engines.

I love the extra power in the 170 bhp version because it makes overtaking safer and changing lanes on the A11/A14, M11 and M25 much easier and safer and I like the fuel economy.

Tried the Leon, Focus, C4, i30 etc but much preferred the cabin of the A3 so went for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

e92 320i

cos it was the biggest engine I could afford to run and tax & get insured with on my current budget on that car.

next one will probably be an e92 335d in a couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

BMW 728i

Boyhood dream, every since Tomorrow Never Dies I wanted one. Always liked big saloons, never liked small cars or even sports cars. Love the luxury, refinement, road presence and of course the classic look of the E38, it will never age.

I choose my particular one as it was a genuine Sport, light coloured interior, full history, 69k miles and the right spec.

Went for the 2.8 as any V8 was €1000 more a year in insurance. I find it hard to find any car I like more, if I was offered a brand new 5 series or even a 911 or the likes for free I genuinely wouldn't take it over my E38 (would sell them for cash :pac:).

Love them barges too! My uncle has a 1996 740i and my father has the older E32 730i but it not as nice. My dream car is the E65 Alpina B7!

The car I have now I got because my father had 6 and also my brother had one and they were hard to beat. (Mk 1 Laguna.)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

Got a good deal from a mate of mine .....
    Nice comfortable cruiser and economical ........
    have done 60k so far and only a couple of minor problems ...............

Matt Simis wrote: »
    BMW 850CSi V12 5.6l

Wanted a

- manual
    - fast coupe
    - wanted something that would have been stupidly expensive new
    - something uncommon (genuinely uncommon)
    - wasnt convinced the newer 645Ci had enough meat under the hood
    - wanted something to work on and fix up
    - they cost like half the price in the UK than they do in Germany
    - one of 160 units!

Any pics? This is my brother's dream car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

1991 BMW 850i 5l V12
    always wanted one, love the styling, something to keep and bring up to spec

1997 1.3 Starlet
    something to bring to the pub/shops etc

2000 4.2TD Toyota Amazon
    Love them. Drove most other 4x4 and was sick of babysitting an RRS. Again, something to keep and look after in the knowledge it will keep on going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Any pics? This is my brother's dream car!

Still havent taken any good photos of it, but the weather is getting better. Here are a couple of quick shots I took:
    th_IMG_0694cropped.jpgth_bonnetIMG_0527.jpg

Now with 100% less power steering fluid spraying out the back!

There is an e31 meetup this month if he wants to gawk, see bmw-driver.net :pac:

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Matt! Will see if we can get to the meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

1. Reliabilty. :D
    2. Looks.
    3. Aesthetic appearance

Advertisement