Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've hit bottom!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

But regardless I dont think he is a moran...;)

Course he isn't, he's a Lenihan!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do we really need another ****ty thread on this

I thought about adding it to an existing thread but I believed it deserved a thread of its own. I figured Lenihan nailing his colours to the post that explicitly was newsworthy.

If you feel that strongly about it, don't reply and let it fall off the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The IMF don't care about the citizens of Ireland. They like him because he has "sorted out the mess". Unfortunately he sorted out the mess by screwing us over.

He's supposed to do what's in our best interests. He isn't doing that.

How did he screw you over? he only cut me €8 a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

in response to 'Jack the lips'

It was not my intention to confuse, speaking plainly;
    I believe it is not true that the property market has stopped dropping, we have not hit bottom. The goverment is trying to get this stagnant property market on the move again but by telling people it won't drop further and now is the time to buy. this is nothing more than wishful speculation and propaganda on the goverments behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

bryaner wrote: »
    How did he screw you over? he only cut me €8 a week

Not sure if you're being serious or if you're joking, but if you're being serious:

Who do you think is going to pay for the problems caused by our property bubble?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

All that unrealistic positive thinking and down with the nah sayer thing got us into this mess how the hell do these morons think it`ll get us out of it!

Some people need to have their copy of "The Secret" taken off them and burned.

Not sure if you're being serious or if you're joking, but if you're being serious:

Who do you think is going to pay for the problems caused by our property bubble?

He had no part to play in that BIFFO is the master cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Uh huh.

There is one thing we can say for sure. If the finance minister is calling the bottom of the market then we still have some distance to go.

Save the headline people and bring it out in 18 months.

He had no part to play in that BIFFO is the master cylinder

He greenlit NAMA and the bank bailout. That's about €100,000,000,000 we the tax payer will have to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

He greenlit NAMA and the bank bailout. That's about €100,000,000,000 we the tax payer will have to pay back.

I genuinely think that the majority of people do not understand all the zeros.
    People here the word 'billion' on the news and because they have no real comprehension of the word they zone out.
    If the mass population really understood the amount of money involved in this mess there would be a massive revolution.

• Advertisement

Rubber stamped by the ECB them stupid people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Duffmanic

He's a moron! Who the f**k do ye think ye are, what do u expect him to say? He has more balls than all ye sad begrudgers put together, people like ye ( and by ye I mean all u doom merchants whinging about the economy) make me sick, always whinging about everything and jelous of anyone who has more than u. I guarantee you guys one thing none of ye will ever have anything and in 20 years time will still be whinging about politics and the price of everything

Rubber stamped by the ECB them stupid people

The ECB have no interest in what is "right" or "wrong" for Irish people, they just want to see stability and a plan to get our economy in order. They don't care about the citizens of Ireland nor do they care that Lenihan has picked the most expensive and least fair solution.

You are confusing what's right for the bankers/finance people with what's right for the ordinary citizen.

Duffmanic wrote: »
    He's a moron! Who the f**k do ye think ye are, what do u expect him to say? He has more balls than all ye sad begrudgers put together, people like ye ( and by ye I mean all u doom merchants whinging about the economy) make me sick, always whinging about everything and jelous of anyone who has more than u. I guarantee you guys one thing none of ye will ever have anything and in 20 years time will still be whinging about politics and the price of everything

Hey! That post was pretty insulting to everyone here back off! Whats your agenda here? You have two other posts and they are saying the same thing, we`re not begrudgers or dooms dayers - we`re realist. Me thinks you and your negative equity are in denial believe me I couldn`t be less jealous.

We`re mad because the people with the stuff are leaving us with their bills and now trying to convince us its worth more than it is to fook us over again. Hell no!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Never felt so depressed reading that article, as was mentioned in this thread, no ideas, but for people to start buying and selling houses again..There is such a fantastic chance to at least change it all around but this..Absolutely pathetic...

Must agree.

It is quite sad that they have to revert to the property market to revive the economy.

Though the NAMA gamble does need for more confidence in the market.

I'd say the last thing people struggling to pay their mortgages and with spiralling debt is a front page telling you to jump in.

All you can do is trust your own judgement and make an informed decision when the time is right based on your own circumstances, as it is you who will be paying the mortgage back and not Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Hi Bertie. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Property prices are falling because ''brian lenihan says so''

Wow. so if brian cowen comes out and says rates of unemployment are dropping, they are.
    Yeah just ignore the fact that rates of unemployment are worse than ever. No amount of media propaganda trying to scare first time buyers into purchasing because the markets supposedly ''bottomed out'' will get the market ''on the move'' again.
    This is just more scare mongering propaganda trying to bully people into buying by telling them ''housing prices will never be as good again''

This is not the way to get the market on the move again.
    in response to 'Jack the lips'

It was not my intention to confuse, speaking plainly;
    I believe it is not true that the property market has stopped dropping, we have not hit bottom. The goverment is trying to get this stagnant property market on the move again but by telling people it won't drop further and now is the time to buy. this is nothing more than wishful speculation and propaganda on the goverments behalf.

Thats not what you said though and I am joey only my priest calls me jack.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Zamboni wrote: »
    I genuinely think that the majority of people do not understand all the zeros.
    People here the word 'billion' on the news and because they have no real comprehension of the word they zone out.
    If the mass population really understood the amount of money involved in this mess there would be a massive revolution.

Understanding the effect of all those zeros to me comes down to two things:
    A) How much will my income tax go up by?
    I remember it much worse when I paid 48% on a low salary.
    B) How much worse will public services get?
    Seeing the massive pouring of money into Health during the celtic tiger years didn't actually improve matters much, it doesn't seem as though cutbacks will make it similarly worse...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

what the hell are you talking about?, post reported,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,360 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bertie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

theg81der wrote: »
    All that unrealistic positive thinking and down with the nah sayer thing got us into this mess how the hell do these morons think it`ll get us out of it!

Some people need to have their copy of "The Secret" taken off them and burned.

Just finished Barbara Ehrenreich's book then I take it??

oflahero wrote: »
    Just finished Barbara Ehrenreich's book then I take it??

No I wouldn`t read that, its common sense and the last 10 years were not clearly. I was trying to tell people the years coming up to the bust and they acted like I was mad, tried to stop people I knew making mistakes but it fell on deaf (now swimming in debt) ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

I'd say the government will abolish the €400 per year rent allowance for tenants in the next budget, also I wouldn't be surprised if the government starts to tax landlords for renting rooms under €10k per year, I'm still paying €400 per month for a duble room in South Co Dublin, got it reduced from €450, I reckon its still about €70 overpriced.

Lenihan is trying to get people to go out and buy property although I wouldn't be surprised if he had a different view privately on the state of the Irish property market.

They'll abolish that relief alright.
    They might tax people who are currently renting a room in their house.
    They will remove stamp duty altogether for everyone, to be replaced with a property tax.
    They will put mortgage interest relief for investors back to 100%.

We've already seen that there is a floor for property prices. In Mullingar anyway :D

Probably better to knock down all the empty estates though :)

All to stimulate the property market. Houses start to sell = more jobs. Let the tax go for now. Get people off the dole and paying tax and get rid of the overhang in property.

Thats just my read on what Lenihan will do. Is it right or wrong? I dont know because im not psychic, but my guess its that the above will happen.

And thats just the property end of the economy.
    All income tax rates will increase.

Most imortant thing is that most of those outside the PAYE net now will be brought into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Over on The Property Pin somebody has described it as "Lenihan Declares Victory in War against Affordable Housing".

:)
    Who's side is he on.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Who's side is he on.?

he wants to put a floor under house prices he has stated this
    its even on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWlz1IKWfw4

he is clearly on the bankers side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

In five years time, average Irish salaries will be about 23K. A 3 bed semi in a Leinster town will be 70K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

But how can he put a floor under house prices when everything else in the economy is going down? :confused: Wages, numbers in employment, immigrants. Will the banks suddenly take to giving people massive multiples of their income as mortgages?

Firetrap wrote: »
    But how can he put a floor under house prices when everything else in the economy is going down? :confused: Wages, numbers in employment, immigrants. Will the banks suddenly take to giving people massive multiples of their income as mortgages?

The man is either incompetent or a liar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The man is either incompetent or a liar.

Not Mutually Exclusive!

Advertisement