Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've hit bottom!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The man is either incompetent or a liar.

Kevin Myers said something like this on the LLS the other night about people who think there won't be further PS pay cuts. He quickly corrected himself on a wee omission. He said they were..."incompetent or liars...I]pause[/I....or fools".

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Organeer

Has anybody looked at house prices in other countries? In the North & in UK house prices are very affordable compared to here. Can houses really cost that much more to build in Ireland, considering all the more reasonable foreign workers we have? Is it just a case of being ripped off yet again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Organeer wrote: »
    Is it just a case of being ripped off yet again?

Combination of being ripped off and greed/delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Kevin Myers said something like this on the LLS the other night about people who think there won't be further PS pay cuts. He quickly corrected himself on a wee omission. He said they were..."incompetent or liars...I]pause[/I....or fools".

tbh i dont like kevin myers but I have to give credit and he was bang on. Matt Cooper was even better though.
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    Combination of being ripped off and greed/delusion.

I think this is the problem with society. No matter how long we are saying we are on the bottom if the govt say it not many are going to believe it.

There is no trust in the govt.

However... My problem is beyond this. Whilst I have no trust in the govt.. I think we are fooked if we get a labour fine gael combo. They are both like oil and water no matter how much they say it they just dont mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Understanding the effect of all those zeros to me comes down to two things:
    A) How much will my income tax go up by?
    I remember it much worse when I paid 48% on a low salary.
    B) How much worse will public services get?
    Seeing the massive pouring of money into Health during the celtic tiger years didn't actually improve matters much, it doesn't seem as though cutbacks will make it similarly worse...!
    I think this post hits the nail on the head as far as the average citizen is concerned.

All the mad hijinks going on in the Dáil won't fluster most of them until the actual taxes go up; I mean look at this, on top of €100-odd billion for various banking shenanigans, the government has given in to union demands to all intents and purposes making cost reduction much more difficult, and we will not be able to borrow for too much longer at any sort of a favourable rate, because the people responsbile for lending out billions are intelligent enough to see that NAMA debt is in fact sovereign debt.

So where will it come from? The taxpayers of course. Can the taxpayer support this in any way? No, and forget practicality, its just not mathematically possible. But you won't see a major grassroots push back until the taxes start kicking in, and by then Lenihan and company hope they'll be out of office, enjoying a nice ministerial pension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement